U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:46 PM

164 posts, read 644,309 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

My girlfriend just got a job offer in the Sarasota area in the medical field, so we visited her aunt in Sarasota to check it out. We looked at the prices of homes and they seem reasonable in Sarasota and we loved the area.

Now for a few questions.

Everyone down there seems very friendly but I've noticed on these boards the dislike toward northerners. We are from CT but very friendly and outgoing. Will we have a problem once we tell people where we're from?

I know there are a lot of elderly in FL - will we be welcome as 24 and 26 year olds? I'd also hate to be the only couple our age. Is there anyone out there in their 20's who can tell us if there are any good nightlife spots?

Third, how is the local economy in Sarasota? Are there lots of jobs, and if not, how commutable is Tampa from Sarasota? Is it doable?

Is a combined income of 65k enough to own a decent home or condo near Siesta Key or downtown Sarasota?

We are also considering a move to Phoenix or Boston, but you can't beat that Florida weather!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM

849 posts, read 3,042,554 times
Cool cheaper than Boston

but Sarasota is expensive and OLD. I'm 61 but they are a generation before me Let me tell you about really old people. They love having young'uns around. It will all depend on how many extra grandparents you will let into your life. Because of the affluence in Sarasota these seniors are very active and vibrant.
The commute is a bear and when you say Tampa that's a lot of territory. Some of it wouldn't be accessible at all and most of it would be very tough. For the medical person, I'm sure there is a lot of employment but you didn't mention your field. The economy is based on tourism, service and caring for affluent retirees.

Anyone who wants dining and entertainment info needs to google the local newspapers and the convention and visitors bureau web sites. They have all the listings. You can get a feel for the type of places. All I can say is that we felt Sarasota was too old for US and we're not the hippest of pre-seniors.

Check out the Phoenix forum. The weather is much hotter in Summer and the closest beach is in Mexico, very cool. But on balance, it's younger, Waaaay more progressive and has very low unemployment. You'll get a great house there. Don't know if your budget allows Sarasota or Siesta. There's not much of a downtown but there is some gentrification going on for young affluent professionals. Lots of medical. The areas seem to be very spread out and variable.

We were checking it out because our kids just moved to Hawaii and we thought maybe we wanted to be sort of half way rather than making that sort of leap.
If she's in the med. field jobs should be good anywhere. Hey, how about Hawaii? The weather is similar to FL.

As for yankee hate? Nah! There are enough of us nhere now but if you approach the "locals" openly and without an assumption of "dumb southern crackers" you'll be fine. Just treat people with the respect you expect. Goes for the seniors too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2000 View Post
Hi all.

My girlfriend just got a job offer in the Sarasota area in the medical field, so we visited her aunt in Sarasota to check it out. We looked at the prices of homes and they seem reasonable in Sarasota and we loved the area.

Now for a few questions.

Everyone down there seems very friendly but I've noticed on these boards the dislike toward northerners. We are from CT but very friendly and outgoing. Will we have a problem once we tell people where we're from?

I know there are a lot of elderly in FL - will we be welcome as 24 and 26 year olds? I'd also hate to be the only couple our age. Is there anyone out there in their 20's who can tell us if there are any good nightlife spots?

Third, how is the local economy in Sarasota? Are there lots of jobs, and if not, how commutable is Tampa from Sarasota? Is it doable?

Is a combined income of 65k enough to own a decent home or condo near Siesta Key or downtown Sarasota?

We are also considering a move to Phoenix or Boston, but you can't beat that Florida weather!

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
but Sarasota is expensive and OLD. I'm 61 but they are a generation before me Let me tell you about really old people. They love having young'uns around. It will all depend on how many extra grandparents you will let into your life. Because of the affluence in Sarasota these seniors are very active and vibrant.
The commute is a bear and when you say Tampa that's a lot of territory. Some of it wouldn't be accessible at all and most of it would be very tough. For the medical person, I'm sure there is a lot of employment but you didn't mention your field. The economy is based on tourism, service and caring for affluent retirees.

Anyone who wants dining and entertainment info needs to google the local newspapers and the convention and visitors bureau web sites. They have all the listings. You can get a feel for the type of places. All I can say is that we felt Sarasota was too old for US and we're not the hippest of pre-seniors.

Check out the Phoenix forum. The weather is much hotter in Summer and the closest beach is in Mexico, very cool. But on balance, it's younger, Waaaay more progressive and has very low unemployment. You'll get a great house there. Don't know if your budget allows Sarasota or Siesta. There's not much of a downtown but there is some gentrification going on for young affluent professionals. Lots of medical. The areas seem to be very spread out and variable.

We were checking it out because our kids just moved to Hawaii and we thought maybe we wanted to be sort of half way rather than making that sort of leap.
If she's in the med. field jobs should be good anywhere. Hey, how about Hawaii? The weather is similar to FL.

As for yankee hate? Nah! There are enough of us nhere now but if you approach the "locals" openly and without an assumption of "dumb southern crackers" you'll be fine. Just treat people with the respect you expect. Goes for the seniors too.
Thanks for the response.

I am in the Criminal Justice field interested in probation so I don't think I should have a problem getting a job.

Regarding income and cost of living, Sarasota is much cheaper than where we currently are in CT but I know it can get outrageous on the water near Siesta Key. Inland condos down there (a few miles in) are incredibly affordable though, I found a few for $500/month while a condo for the same amenities and similar location in CT would rent for about $1800 - that's why FL looks so attractive. Of course the Palm Trees help too!

We aren't opposed to staying in CT (well, I'm not) as we have NYC at our doorstep. Where we live in CT (Stamford) is just way too pricey and I don't know how even affluent people can afford it. Boston is at the top of my list if we were to leave, and Phoenix seems too far from water. I'm a beach guy.

Everytime I told someone I was looking at FL, their initial reaction was "be careful, they don't like Northerners." Maybe they just don't want us to move. The only rudeness I encountered was when I was pulled over, I was driving 42 in a 35 and the officer wasn't too nice. He told me "CT, huh, we snag a lot of you people down here" and I got a ticket. Maybe if I had a FL license it would be different.

I don't mind having plenty of grandparents but I would prefer an area with people around our age. Can you recommend another area in greater Sarasota near the water with a lively population? I did notice the pace in Sarasota is more relaxed, but is that due to the age of people, or the general way of life?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, thanks for helping though.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:11 PM

360 posts, read 1,603,002 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

I am in the Criminal Justice field interested in probation so I don't think I should have a problem getting a job.

Regarding income and cost of living, Sarasota is much cheaper than where we currently are in CT but I know it can get outrageous on the water near Siesta Key. Inland condos down there (a few miles in) are incredibly affordable though, I found a few for $500/month while a condo for the same amenities and similar location in CT would rent for about $1800 - that's why FL looks so attractive. Of course the Palm Trees help too!

We aren't opposed to staying in CT (well, I'm not) as we have NYC at our doorstep. Where we live in CT (Stamford) is just way too pricey and I don't know how even affluent people can afford it. Boston is at the top of my list if we were to leave, and Phoenix seems too far from water. I'm a beach guy.

Everytime I told someone I was looking at FL, their initial reaction was "be careful, they don't like Northerners." Maybe they just don't want us to move. The only rudeness I encountered was when I was pulled over, I was driving 42 in a 35 and the officer wasn't too nice. He told me "CT, huh, we snag a lot of you people down here" and I got a ticket. Maybe if I had a FL license it would be different.

I don't mind having plenty of grandparents but I would prefer an area with people around our age. Can you recommend another area in greater Sarasota near the water with a lively population? I did notice the pace in Sarasota is more relaxed, but is that due to the age of people, or the general way of life?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, thanks for helping though.
Hi there! I am moving down to the Sarasota-NP general area very soon myself and was wondering what area you decided to settle on, and how did it all turn out? I would appreciate any feedback as I'll be a "Northerner" myself, coming from Ohio. Did you make the move yet and how did it go? I am 33 myself and would be trying to fit in, as many younger people do...

Last edited by FringedNFab; 01-15-2008 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
Hi there! I am moving down to the Sarasota-NP general area very soon myself and was wondering what area you decided to settle on, and how did it all turn out? I would appreciate any feedback as I'll be a "Northerner" myself, coming from Ohio. Did you make the move yet and how did it go? I am 33 myself and would be trying to fit in, as many younger people do...
We did not make the move yet, as we are still weighing our options. We visited Phoenix, Sarasota and we live a day trip from Boston so we know what that's about. I looked at some jobs this afternoon and found that we would actually be making more aroud 75k combined. In CT we would never be able to own a home making that but in FL I believe we can.

I loved Sarasota when we visited. The 'skyline' is nice, but it was all condominiums (correct me if I'm wrong) whereas most Northeast cities it's more corporate offices. The pace in Sarasota is S L O W but that's coming from someone who lives 40 minutes outside of NYC, so I'm not sure how it would feel for you, coming from Ohio.

Someone mentioned Ybor City. Is it nice? Safe? Within a few miles of the water? Anyone?

Old 01-15-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
We did not make the move yet, as we are still weighing our options. We visited Phoenix, Sarasota and we live a day trip from Boston so we know what that's about. I looked at some jobs this afternoon and found that we would actually be making more aroud 75k combined. In CT we would never be able to own a home making that but in FL I believe we can.

I loved Sarasota when we visited. The 'skyline' is nice, but it was all condominiums (correct me if I'm wrong) whereas most Northeast cities it's more corporate offices. The pace in Sarasota is S L O W but that's coming from someone who lives 40 minutes outside of NYC, so I'm not sure how it would feel for you, coming from Ohio.

Someone mentioned Ybor City. Is it nice? Safe? Within a few miles of the water? Anyone?
Ybor City is a part of downtown Tampa. I visited it while on vacation and there was lots to do. To me it was a big party in the street on weekends, I gathered. Wall to wall nightclubs. Very cool. I haven't seen anything like it since, (I'm from up north, Ohio) and yes, you have close proximity to water everywhere there. I just don't think I could ever live in Tampa. I'm much rather settling in on the Sarasota area on down the coast a bit.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Ybor City is a part of downtown Tampa. I visited it while on vacation and there was lots to do. To me it was a big party in the street on weekends, I gathered. Wall to wall nightclubs. Very cool. I haven't seen anything like it since, (I'm from up north, Ohio) and yes, you have close proximity to water everywhere there. I just don't think I could ever live in Tampa. I'm much rather settling in on the Sarasota area on down the coast a bit.
I didn't spend much time in Tampa but from doing research, speaking to acquaintances and posting here, it seems that if you want to live in Sarasota you will be among the youngest in town.

Are you interested in a condo or a home? We aren't sure yet, but thinking a condo is the way to go for now.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I didn't spend much time in Tampa but from doing research, speaking to acquaintances and posting here, it seems that if you want to live in Sarasota you will be among the youngest in town.

Are you interested in a condo or a home? We aren't sure yet, but thinking a condo is the way to go for now.
I'm initially looking at houses, but would not rule out a nice condo. But a house has more room so if family ever wanted to come visit, etc. it would make things much nicer. Tampa was nice to visit, but the congestion I think would be a bit much to wanna live there 24/7. Tampa's a pretty big place to me. But coming from what you're used to it probably wouldn't seem too big a deal. But yeah, from what I hear they need more 20-30somethings around Sarasota and create things for the younger crowds... from what I gather they're slowly working on this. Tampa's a drive up and I could always visit. But with Siesta Key in Sarasota, (one of the top beaches in the world) who needs Tampa-Clearwater?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I'm initially looking at houses, but would not rule out a nice condo. But a house has more room so if family ever wanted to come visit, etc. it would make things much nicer. Tampa was nice to visit, but the congestion I think would be a bit much to wanna live there 24/7. Tampa's a pretty big place to me. But coming from what you're used to it probably wouldn't seem too big a deal. But yeah, from what I hear they need more 20-30somethings around Sarasota and create things for the younger crowds... from what I gather they're slowly working on this. Tampa's a drive up and I could always visit. But with Siesta Key in Sarasota, (one of the top beaches in the world) who needs Tampa-Clearwater?
We spent everyday in Siesta Key - my g/f had to drag me away when the sun was starting to set. I was looking at condos in SK but they seem pretty expensive.

The more I talk about it, the more I miss the FL weather. It's 28 here and snowing!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
We spent everyday in Siesta Key - my g/f had to drag me away when the sun was starting to set. I was looking at condos in SK but they seem pretty expensive.

The more I talk about it, the more I miss the FL weather. It's 28 here and snowing!
Yeah Siesta looks so nice. I wouldn't have to live right ON the beach tho, I'd be ok as long as I was 10-20 mins of it daily... but who knows what I'll choose when the time comes. I live right now just up from Cincinnati about a half hour and it's COLD here too! But I'm seeing to it that this be my last winter up North. PM me anytime if you do decide on moving near that general area, we northerners should all hangout sometime down there. Gawd knows we'd need younger friends there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area