Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 02:23 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,660,000 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

So just the other week, I took a tour around Greenwood Cemetery in Orlando. Seeing historic cemeteries is something I have always enjoyed in order to get a feel for the history of a region and the types of people who were movers and shakers in that community and helped it become what it was. I have to admit, I grew up spoiled in this regard, with close access to Lake View Cemetery which is one of the prettiest garden cemeteries the world over, with rolling skills, a fantastic skyline view, and some of America's most prominent inventors and political figures buried there... I wasn't expecting quite the same of Greenwood in Orlando, but when I went and toured there I still had a good time, it was a nice walk, and there was a lot of stuff to learn from the tour about the city and area. Now, as I've mentioned, there is a distinct chance that I will be moving to the Bradenton/Sarasota area in a few months, and I was wondering if something similar to that existed there? I'm guessing the Tampa Bay region in general has more history in general than the Orlando area, so it wouldn't surprise me that the offerings over here would be more impressive. I have heard that there is a National Cemetery (for soldiers?) in Sarasota, and then there is also Florida National Cemetery which is about 50 miles north of Tampa. However, as far as regional history itself, it looked like my best bet was the Oaklawn Cemetery just a couple blocks north of the Tampa CBD. Is this accurate, or would I find something as impressive or even more so historically or architecturally in a place like St. Pete, Sarasota or Bradenton?

Also, I have been looking for the longest time for a good German Restaurant, preferably right in Bradenton or Sarasota, but definitely somewhere in the Tampa Bay area. It wouldn't even necessarily have to be German, but something that is in Central European style (including Austrian, Hungarian, Czech, Polish, Slovenian which are all similar). Also, in general I like ethnic eating experiences where it feels like the "Old Worldness" of the place is reflected in the venue. Obviously quality is important, but atmosphere counts too. For example, Pho Cali is a truly excellent restaurant and serves up great Vietnamese dishes, but, and partially through no fault of their own, doesn't possess the ethnic flair of a place like Anh Hong in Orlando's Little Saigon neighborhood. I really think eating out can be a transformative experience, where you feel like you've gone somewhere when eating (I think that Yoder's Amish Restaurant, and Ybor City Columbia locations are good examples of this). So mainly, I have a focus of finding good ethnic food, which has, as put in Office Space, "flair". Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, do you know of any Italian Groceries around? One of my favorite pastimes which has happened not nearly often enough recently has involved getting prepared food from a deli like that and then just sitting with the sandwich in a local park, watching the sunset, playing catch, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 07:12 PM

140 posts, read 187,975 times
I have had the great fortune to travel to and spend quality time in dozens of countries including all of Continental and Mediterranean Europe as well as the Middle East, the Indian subcontinent and most of Asia. Florida has some very interesting cultural experiences that need to be experienced if you are after something that is close to being the real deal.

Here's my tips for experiences that will make your blood race. These places are special to me:

Sanwa Market: think of it as a cross between a busy Asian street markets and Costco. As you browse the shelves and massive refrigerated department, if you recognize one out of 10 items, you are doing well. They have fufu mix, fresh rambutans, fresh tamrind, ghee, winter cherries etc. You will hear many world languages from the customers. Sanwa Farmer's Market | Fresh Produce, Fresh Meat, Grocery, and More | www.sanwafarmersmarket.com

Mazzaro's: the south east's biggest and best Italian market. If there's a bigger one please tell me. House made pasta, hand crank operated Parma slicing machine, the biggest cheese section, if they can make it in-house they do, bakery... It goes on and on! Mazzaro's Italian Market

Columbia Restaurant: we are fortunate to have Casey and Richard Gonzmart provide us with elegant and beautiful locations to dine on casual Cuban food. I love the Columbia restaurant and each location is always a total pleasure to visit! Columbia Restaurant - Florida’s Oldest Restaurant

Wat Mongkolratanaram of Florida - Thai wat temple in Tampa, real monks, Sunday bazzaar market. Packed, yummy. This is a trip to Thailand in Tampa Wat Mongkolratanaram of Florida - Buddhist Temples - Tampa, FL - Yelp

Yummy House - NYC style dim sum sport eating. Go on a weekend and sit near the kitchen so you can hit the cart coming and going. CHINESE FOOD TAMPA | CHINESE RESTAURANT | YUMMY HOUSE TAMPA

Geier's Sausage Kitchen - large German grocery - great selection / high prices. Not much competition, even in NYC. Schaller and Weber don't come close to Geier's - German Meat Market, Food, Geiers Sausage Kitchen, Sarasota, Florida

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 PM

WOW. Thank you so much. You are a gentleman and a scholar! All of these places look terrific! Can't wait to check them all out! Mazzaro's and Geier's and Wat Temple sound especially awesome, but I will be sure to hit them all at some point. Truly some awesome places to go out there.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 04-02-2015 at 09:53 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 10:25 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,548 times
I thought this would be about cannibalism!

Old 04-03-2015, 08:52 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,840,930 times
Well, Sarasota's biggest cemetary happens to be Venice. No need to thank me.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:40 AM

490 posts, read 623,521 times
Wat Temple is an amazing experience. Great for hard to find Thai produce and plants. Fantastic food and beautiful location. It does get crowded though but anyone who likes Thai food and culture should check it out.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Well, Sarasota's biggest cemetary happens to be Venice. No need to thank me.
Thanks still! I will have to check it out sometime.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:10 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
Another vote for Wat Temple! It's amazing. We host exchange students and we take them all there. Get there early (like 9:30ish) in order to beat the crowds! During the winter, we often go to the manatee viewing station at the electric company as well, but it's getting to be late for that now. You could always hit IKEA for lunch if you like Swedish meatballs. LOL

Having grown up in New England, I also love historical cemeteries. I will have to check out the one in Venice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area