Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:08 AM

707 posts, read 1,048,118 times

Advertisements

A lot of people mistakenly use Zillow/Trulia as their "bible" when it comes to real estate.

Neither company provided accurate information before, but now they have even bigger problems.

ListHub, the company that provided Z/T with data feeds from most MLS associations, has discontinued their agreement with Zillow/Trulia. In some markets, this represents up to 40% of the listings these companies displayed for sale on their websites.

On top of this, a former employee of Zillow has turned whistleblower and alleges that Zillow/Trulia, in their desperation to have as many listings as Realtor.com, stole listing data.

The truth about Zillow and Trulia is that no one from either company has ever set foot in a home in this area. They do not exist to sell real estate. They exist to sell advertising on their websites.

Read the article here Anonymous Whistleblower Identified as Former Zillow Employee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 02:21 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,462,557 times
Default My Experience with Zillow

I recently used Zillow to sell a property which we own in Colorado. We have been renting it out for the last 5 years waiting for the market to recover, as we do not have plans to move back.

One day last month I checked the Zillow price-It was in the range that we needed to get out from under and make a bit of money off the equity. So for kicks I clicked the "make me move" button, and also checked the box allowing buyer's agents to contact me. I did not expect anything, but 2 days later, I was contacted by a buyers agent (the buyers found the property, not the agent-as it was never listed on the MLS).

I received a very good offer (only 2 k below asking), and the appraisal went through as well. The best thing for me is that I never had to list it on the MLS, and do not have to pay commission on the sellers end, only the buyers end.

The Zillow price on our property in North Port is very close to a near identical property just down the street from us which recently sold.

I don't think Zillow is out of touch as many say they are

Old 04-20-2015, 06:49 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,462,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
I recently used Zillow to sell a property which we own in Colorado. We have been renting it out for the last 5 years waiting for the market to recover, as we do not have plans to move back.

One day last month I checked the Zillow price-It was in the range that we needed to get out from under and make a bit of money off the equity. So for kicks I clicked the "make me move" button, and also checked the box allowing buyer's agents to contact me. I did not expect anything, but 2 days later, I was contacted by a buyers agent (the buyers found the property, not the agent-as it was never listed on the MLS).

I received a very good offer (only 2 k below asking), and the appraisal went through as well. The best thing for me is that I never had to list it on the MLS, and do not have to pay commission on the sellers end, only the buyers end.

The Zillow price on our property in North Port is very close to a near identical property just down the street from us which recently sold.

I don't think Zillow is out of touch as many say they are
not a single comment on my experience with Zillow? Maybe I got lucky-but a week from a make me move price to under contract to a pre qualified buyer? There is more than one way to skin a cat (selling/buying real estate)

Old 04-20-2015, 06:56 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,041,557 times
Anyone looking for listings in central Florida should be using myfloridahomesmls.com

Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,095,560 times
Quote:
not a single comment on my experience with Zillow? Maybe I got lucky-but a week from a make me move price to under contract to a pre qualified buyer? There is more than one way to skin a cat (selling/buying real estate)
Kudos!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:48 PM

118 posts, read 181,818 times
Quote:
That's awesome! Love people who figure out how to make things happen. Good for you!

Old 04-22-2015, 01:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,629,930 times
I noticed Redfin had more listings earlier than even realtor.com...

You will often see conflicting info from the various sources - about whether something is under contract, has been sold, etc.

Competition is good. Realtors run the gamut from very poor (worse than having none at all) to excellent. In any case most buyers or sellers can help themselves to various web sites which will help everyone involved. I'd be interested in how many sales these days are because a realtor "found" the house as opposed to people finding it themselves and then asking a realtor to show it to them.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:00 PM

252 posts, read 369,926 times
If your a dead serious buyer, there are probably better options. But as a part-time real estate browser, I use Zillow more often than not. Large HD pictures, good mapping, and extra info such as recent comparables. Yes, they do scrape the barrel, and yes they keep listings as 'active' long after they're under contract. In fact until they close, Zillow offers them up with no mention of AWC. But, I still think it's a good site for basic research.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La land View Post
If your a dead serious buyer, there are probably better options. But as a part-time real estate browser, I use Zillow more often than not. Large HD pictures, good mapping, and extra info such as recent comparables. Yes, they do scrape the barrel, and yes they keep listings as 'active' long after they're under contract. In fact until they close, Zillow offers them up with no mention of AWC. But, I still think it's a good site for basic research.
If you are losing up to 40% of your database of information there's no way it can be good for basic research.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
You probably got too little for it, if it appraised. Banks appraise for the negotiated value, not the overall market value. And with Zillow losing up to 40% of their listing data, you are working with an incomplete set of real estate market data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: