U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:46 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,103,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I think the newer homes in FL don't use copper any longer. So it's just the older homes that have copper that are subject to pinhole leaks.
Any clue when that shift happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 07:50 PM

6,772 posts, read 9,016,324 times
The pipes running under the slab is a contributing factor to pin holes in pipes. But you also have to consider the alkaline level of the water supplied. Alkaline is what causes the brown/white crusty stuff to form on the shower head and faucet tips. It also eats copper. I recently didn't have hot water to discover the breaker was tripped for the water heater. Culprit was a pin hole in the bottom heating rod. Water got in and caused a short. Both rods were covered with crust.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:19 AM

14,910 posts, read 30,531,395 times
We just had our 1954 small house replumbed a few months ago. We had had several leaks underground, and rather than tearing up the beautiful terrazzo floor we ran the pipes through the attic space, but had to route them on the outside wall to get to the kitchen due to having vaulted ceilings in the living room (no attic). Yes, the "cold" water comes out blasting hot at first, we may look into some type of insulation. Anyway, for a two bath house, kitchen sink and dishwasher, two hose bibs, and washer in garage it was about $3,000. Done by Air and Energy out of Holmes Beach, who we love and have used for all our AC, electrical and plumbing needs for 6 years now.

As an added note, two years ago when we were fixing one of the leaks underground in the kitchen the plumbers discovered our sewer pipe (cast iron) had disintegrated and the sewage was seeping underground and creating a sinkhole! He said people with old homes have this all the time unknowingly, so it's something to be aware of. That old cast iron erodes in time. That was an expensive fix also.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 AM

79 posts, read 54,732 times
PEX tubing is surely the way to go with any re-piping job in the 21st century. The material is just far superior to copper and CPVC. No pinholes, no corrosion, no chemical build-up, and most importantly less fitting translating to no pressure loss.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 7,813 times
Let's name some names with the costs people! I have a pending repipe project and I keep seeing people saying $3,000 but not naming the contractor. I had one guy come in and tell me $12,000 just to run some new pipes through the attic; obviously thought I couldn't wait...

Oh, cardiffbythesea - if you're going to do it you should do the whole thing at once.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:43 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,103,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab658 View Post
Let's name some names with the costs people! I have a pending repipe project and I keep seeing people saying $3,000 but not naming the contractor. I had one guy come in and tell me $12,000 just to run some new pipes through the attic; obviously thought I couldn't wait...

Oh, cardiffbythesea - if you're going to do it you should do the whole thing at once.
I'd be awfully care there... people have been banned for such things depending on the verbiage....

Old 12-08-2015, 03:26 PM

8 posts, read 7,813 times
You fail to understand the premise - if you've had a good experience with a good outcome at a reasonable price then please share. You may notice that I did not name the rather large national company who's salesman (not a tradesman or even a technician) gave me the rather large quote after a cursory inspection of the house. (His main observations concerned the quality of the new flooring, recent cabinet and counter-top upgrade, as well as the new roof and the freshly remodeled master bath. All that means I DON'T have a big budget for this fix.)

I prefer local tradesmen who can spot any unique or peculiar issues with the job before the work starts.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:42 PM

2,245 posts, read 725,579 times
Default re-vive old re-plumb thread

I'm looking at some older homes in Palmer Ranch area built 1989-1994.

I've read all the posts on the older threads, but have a question I didnt see answered in those.

In what year did builders switch over from copper to PAX? Was this government mandated to begin at a certain date, or was it just random and left up to local builders?

Was is like the new Hurricane standards that began in 2003?

What year builds should I be looking at to avoid re-plumbs?

How is the re-routing through the walls and/or attics working out? I read the cold water comes out hot in the Summer due to attic temps, but how about leaks and water pressure issues? Is there any condensation on the outside of PAX pipes?

How are they building new homes there now? Are they sinking PAX into the contrete slab, or routing it upwards into walls and attics?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2017, 07:16 PM

12,530 posts, read 3,355,714 times
We have a 1953 original Paver Park house with copper plumbing and no leaks at all. 65+ years seems like good service!
One problem is that we have no attic so when the time comes I assume we will run a lot of the pipes in a small trench against the slab or something like that.

I know we have some messed up cast-iron (probably roots), but it is on one end (the high end) and I have used acid and other methods so it has worked for 2 years since I started fiddling with it.

One problem with investing in these older homes.....the house and lot are worth about 260 but the lot itself could be worth as much as 190. So I find myself adding up all the wants and needs and realize that I won't likely get my money out of them as it is very possible that the next buyer will tear the house down (shame, because it's great - just that a lot of people don't want 70 year old Florida frame houses).

Old 03-20-2019, 09:24 AM

5 posts, read 3,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Why don't builders just do this in the first place? Or at least run the pipes through a larger PVC pipe for protection or easy replacement. I have never liked having pipes (or wires) buried where they can't be easily accessed.

At what age does a house typically need to be replumbed?
Why? If you'll lived in FloriDUH for more than 18 months you know the answer to that. It is that most things down here are down ass backwards and WRONG.
Being a workman down here (my apologies to the expert trade people who moved here from civilation, i.e. the Northern states) means that you can afford to buy a set of tools at a thrift store or yard sale and spray paint your name on the side of you beat up pickup truck.
I got lucky and was warned before buying a house and it was on my list of many questions (like is there an HOA SS for this neighborhood and how many sex offenders live on this street), so I got a house (1970s) that had already been replumed with the pipes running above the slab in the walls.
Best advice I can give you is sell your house, rent a UHual, buy a compass and drive north for two moons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or