U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:43 PM

338 posts, read 858,778 times

Advertisements

Anyone have recent costs for replumbing a house? We have a two bath,dishwasher and pool home in Venice that will need to be replumbed in the near future. Looking to get pricing advice here and plumber recommendations .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 04:32 PM

282 posts, read 200,984 times
I've had a good experience with Dirk's Plumbing.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:16 PM

6,772 posts, read 9,016,324 times
HOA's of villa communities have been charged about $3000 for each unit re-plumb.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:22 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,103,945 times
OK, SUQ here (Stupid User Question); I've never heard of having to replumb a house... Why would you have to do that?

Old 05-08-2015, 09:54 AM

You need to replumb down here in Florida if the pipes ,which are buried under the slab, begin to develope leaks. It is a fairly common problem in this area,cause is debatable.it most likely has something to do with the copper pipes reacting to the soil or concrete slab. In any case you either have to dig into your slab and fix the leak ,hope it doesn't recurr elsewhere or proactively replumb the whole house.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:58 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,103,945 times
Thanks debvic, didn't know that and it's certainly good info to have when looking at a house. How do they do the replumb? Rip up the slab somehow? I "assume" they put PVC or something as a replacement?

Old 05-08-2015, 10:32 AM

2,089 posts, read 2,470,071 times
We just had to do a replumb job yesterday in one of our apartments. The problem was as described--copper pipes at the shower going into the slab. They ran the replacement pipes in through the space that the air conditioning ducts came in. They did not do all the pipes--just the leaking one.

It was $2,800. Our regular plumber did not do the job. He referred us to someone else and said to expect the price to be $3,000. Now I am thinking that they should have done the kitchen at the same time.

Edit: Hubby says they did do the water supply to the kitchen too.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:50 PM

Most replumbs are done with pex piping a flexible tubing and they bypass the sub slab and run up the walls and across the attic space. Or through the wall avoiding the attic space due to the summer heat. Ours is run through the attic and in the summer the cold water starts out as hot as the hot water gets. You have to let it run to get cool water. Cost is one factor in how they replumb number if baths and extra water use items. That's why I'm looking to find what current costs should run, for my sons future house.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:20 PM

1,136 posts, read 732,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debvic View Post
Most replumbs are done with pex piping a flexible tubing and they bypass the sub slab and run up the walls and across the attic space. Or through the wall avoiding the attic space due to the summer heat. Ours is run through the attic and in the summer the cold water starts out as hot as the hot water gets. You have to let it run to get cool water. Cost is one factor in how they replumb number if baths and extra water use items. That's why I'm looking to find what current costs should run, for my sons future house.
Why don't builders just do this in the first place? Or at least run the pipes through a larger PVC pipe for protection or easy replacement. I have never liked having pipes (or wires) buried where they can't be easily accessed.

At what age does a house typically need to be replumbed?

Old 05-08-2015, 06:44 PM

15,082 posts, read 17,093,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Why don't builders just do this in the first place? Or at least run the pipes through a larger PVC pipe for protection or easy replacement. I have never liked having pipes (or wires) buried where they can't be easily accessed.

At what age does a house typically need to be replumbed?
I think the newer homes in FL don't use copper any longer. So it's just the older homes that have copper that are subject to pinhole leaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or