U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 12:22 AM

50 posts, read 177,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
What profession pays your bills?
I'm a self employed artist and my other half is a Grocery Store Manager. Why do you ask?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 02:06 PM

220 posts, read 945,444 times
Trying to ascertain what income level you could expect in your target area. If your artistic income were matching that of your spouse, you may stand a chance of survival, provided neither of you took a pay cut. Throw in a new car payment or a kid, and all bets are off.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,008 times
Default Teaching in or near Bradenton

We too are planning to relo to Bradenton from PA. I am searching for a teaching position in the area of Industrial Technology or Vocationional Technical education.
I also have a specialized cert. as a Job Placement Coordinator.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Old 01-19-2008, 04:41 PM

Try to find Manatee Technical Institute on the web, see if they have job listings.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,183 times
Default Moving to TN/VA area from Bradenton

I was born and raised here in Bradenton (true Florida Cracker) , and I have to tell you that it's a beautiful place to visit, but not the greatest place to live. It has always been expensive to live here, but the past few years have gotten out of control. I'm sure that many people fantisize (?) about living in Florida with the beaches and "laid-back" lifestyle, but really, it's just like any other place, except more expensive. Yes, even the beaches and theme parks get old after a while. There are son many people trying to jam into what used to be the some-what small city of bradenton, that it makes every commute absolutely miserable. Sarasota is nice and an artistic city, but is way more expensive to live in.

The other big thing is the crime. I'm not sure what the attraction is, but the gangs in Bradenton have gotten terrible. Not to mention the random crime even in "nice" neighborhoods. And the crime in Tampa is 10X worse. My husband and I are renters, and we just can't afford to raise our family here anymore. Just remember, it's not just the cost of housing that is higher, it's the cost of everything, because the area is some big into tourism. Anyway, the reason we are moving that way is the hopes of maybe being able to save for a house and a little land, because here, and acre will cost you $300,000. We don't plan on living in the city, so hopefully the cost of living up there won't get us. I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM

Thank you for all of the responses! I really think that through this thread and many other threads about my "top relocation choices" my eyes have been opened.

We still visit the AMI/Bradenton area at least once a year to see family. And while I'd love to be closer to them, I think we are reconsidering a relocation. DH has a good job and we like where we live. And if we were being frank and talking numbers: weighing the cost of living increase (FL) + the potential salary increase (FL) actually EQUALS our current salaries (TN) + current cost of living (TN). It's a pretty even scale.

So many thanks to everyone who helped with my questions about the area! But for now, I think we'll continue to enjoy the area a few times a year on vacation. And leave the relocation idea on the shelf for a later date.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:37 PM

4,545 posts, read 11,490,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelybella View Post
Thank you for all of the responses! I really think that through this thread and many other threads about my "top relocation choices" my eyes have been opened.

We still visit the AMI/Bradenton area at least once a year to see family. And while I'd love to be closer to them, I think we are reconsidering a relocation. DH has a good job and we like where we live. And if we were being frank and talking numbers: weighing the cost of living increase (FL) + the potential salary increase (FL) actually EQUALS our current salaries (TN) + current cost of living (TN). It's a pretty even scale.

So many thanks to everyone who helped with my questions about the area! But for now, I think we'll continue to enjoy the area a few times a year on vacation. And leave the relocation idea on the shelf for a later date.
You'd do well to poke around the Village of the Arts and get information from the local artists on the prospect of working in your medium; as for your husband, I would think it'd be as simple as going to Publix.com and filling out a job application to get the ball rolling on that track.

Also, if you're interested in local news, hit up bradentonherald.com and for crime information newsmanatee.com, which will open up a whole different Bradenton.

Make lots of visits & drive around at all hours of the day and night in the areas of town that you're interested in. That's how you get a real feel for the town, see who else is pokin' around.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
You'd do well to poke around the Village of the Arts and get information from the local artists on the prospect of working in your medium; as for your husband, I would think it'd be as simple as going to Publix.com and filling out a job application to get the ball rolling on that track.

Also, if you're interested in local news, hit up bradentonherald.com and for crime information newsmanatee.com, which will open up a whole different Bradenton.

Make lots of visits & drive around at all hours of the day and night in the areas of town that you're interested in. That's how you get a real feel for the town, see who else is pokin' around.
Now that is the one area we have found that might work for us on many levels! But we don't know much about it other than what we have found online. We need to visit the neighborhood in April when we visit again. Is that area relatively safe, do you know?

We have kind of left the idea of moving to FL on the shelf. But I'll be honest, once we visit in a few months we will want to relocate for sure. If for no other reason than to just to be closer to family and friends... sometimes it's tough to leave.

Well, while I'm talking about it... does anyone know anyone who works in store mgmt. with Publix? I only ask to get a feel for how easy/hard it may be to join their team.

Much to think about!! Thank you for reminding me about this neighborhood, though. It always gets me thinking about FL again

Old 02-07-2008, 08:14 PM

Village of the arts is close to downtown.
We know two families who's kids run Publix stores and they say postitive things. We consistently hear (and from others) that it's a tad hard to get in, but once you're in the opportunities are pretty good and straight forward, almost a level playing field which is very rare these days. They will promote good people from within, and like to pull weeds from time to time. Hours can be tough.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:23 PM

16 posts, read 47,060 times
Default moving to Bradenton

Well, come on Down!!! I know of 4 families that left Florida the last few years, only to move back here the last few months. Renting is good and there are many homes available, just pick the Publix you want to work at and look for a home. there are some good parts to Bradenton, check with your family. honestly, the grass is always greener......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area