U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:19 PM

50 posts, read 176,232 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Knoxville, TN but desperately want to move to the Bradenton/Sarasota area. We have family and friends there, we love the laidback lifestyle, the jobs seem to be much more plentiful and the average salaries seem to be higher than in Knoxville. But the cost of living is much higher in Bradenton.

And then there is the fact that folks from FL are moving here in droves! Makes me question exactly why people want to move away from Florida?

I know about the property taxes in FL. But as a renter, that would'nt directly effect me for a few more years. Can you advise me any further? Those of you who have moved to TN from FL or are planning on making the move... what have you found or what made you want to move?

Thanks in advance! I truly believe that getting feedback from folks in forums like this will be invaluable in making our decision.

I should add... my husband is looking to get on with Publix. He is currently a Grocery Store Mgr. here in TN with another company. However, we're not sure how hard it is to get hired by Publix. We'd need to secure his employment before making any moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 03:43 PM

192 posts, read 741,370 times
Quote:
I currently live in Knoxville, TN but desperately want to move to the Bradenton/Sarasota area. We have family and friends there, we love the laidback lifestyle, the jobs seem to be much more plentiful and the average salaries seem to be higher than in Knoxville. But the cost of living is much higher in Bradenton.
Yes you are right the cost of living is way higher, yes wages are higher than TN but not generally high enough to live a comfortable lifestyle in FL unless you are in the low to mid six figures.

Quote:
And then there is the fact that folks from FL are moving here in droves! Makes me question exactly why people want to move away from Florida?
Having just bought a home in the Chattanooga area after 26 years in FL. I would say it's the insurance, car, home and flood. They are all high here. You will pay twice what you are used to to insure your car. Property taxes have gone up rapidly with little or no increase in wages.( See above) Quality of life is eroding due to over development and roads that cannot keep up. Some are tired of the endless summer, others love it. Some miss the seasons. But all in all what I hear from most is they are tired of working to just survive. My cost of insurance alone now matches our house payment, was not the case 3 years ago. Every time a hurricane hits the state grab your wallet as the insurance companies are going to hit you hard even if you suffered no damage. That covers the surface reasons.

Quote:
I know about the property taxes in FL. But as a renter, that would'nt directly effect me for a few more years. Can you advise me any further? Those of you who have moved to TN from FL or are planning on making the move... what have you found or what made you want to move?
As a renter you will be directly affected by property taxes, you just don't see the bill but you pay them, it's called rent. As far as advice, have a six figure job lined up, 8-12 months in emergency funds saved up. If you own a a home in TN don't sell it,rent it until you live in FL for a few years to see if it's for you as it takes that long to have your rose colored glasses removed to be able to see what you really have, it isn't Disneyland

Old 01-18-2008, 04:14 PM

Thanks for your response Dee74. I appreciate your honesty.

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm wearing rose colored glasses, though. I've lived in Knoxville (and the surrounding areas) for 10 1/2 years now. Originally moved here from Northern NJ. TN is nice and it has it's perks, undoubtedly, but it is not the promise land most make it out to be. I can only speak about East TN, but what happened in Florida with the population increases is happening in Tn right now! And it will only continue in the coming years. TN doesn't have the schools, jobs, roads, housing, or funding to handle the influx. Our crime is rising at an alarming rate and it is still near impossible to find a decent, well-paying job. Even with a college degree!

I truly believe every state has their issues. Thanks again for your response. I'd love to hear more responses!

Old 01-18-2008, 05:10 PM

49 posts, read 121,651 times
Hi, I just moved back to Florida from Knoxville, Tn. I could not be any happier being back home in Florida. I'm residing in clearwater Beach. I landed a excellent job here. I currently lived in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area for 30 years. Moved to Knoxville for 2 years. Could not wait to get out of there. Anyway it depends on where you live in Florida. South florida forget it. I don't know much about Bradenton. I know Melbourne Florida is a very nice area. And not expensive. You will be renting so you don't have to worry about property taxes. No food tax, Sales tax 6%. Knoxville sales tax was outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you will be very happy in Florida.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma123 View Post
Hi, I just moved back to Florida from Knoxville, Tn. I could not be any happier being back home in Florida. .... No food tax, Sales tax 6%. Knoxville sales tax was outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you will be very happy in Florida.
Thanks Momma123! State and sales taxes are insane here, you're right! I HATE paying almost 10% tax on my food!!

I've thought about the St. Pete/Clearwater area as well as Bradenton. There seem to be a lot of jobs in the Tampa Bay area. Glad to hear you're happy back in Florida! That is very encouraging

Old 01-18-2008, 05:47 PM

49 posts, read 121,651 times
Honestly I think you will be very happy in Florida. Don't let all the negative people discourage you. Knoxville, honestly was not any cheaper!!!!!! Ant there are no decent paying jobs there. You also need alot of money to live there. Like I said it all depends on where you live in Florida. Like I said south florida is extremely expensive. Florida is a big place. There are cheaper places to live in florida. You just have to look around and do alot of research. Best of luck to you. Just think of the wonderful weather in Florida compared to Tennessee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma123 View Post
Honestly I think you will be very happy in Florida. Don't let all the negative people discourage you. Knoxville, honestly was not any cheaper!!!!!! Ant there are no decent paying jobs there. You also need alot of money to live there. Like I said it all depends on where you live in Florida. Like I said south florida is extremely expensive. Florida is a big place. There are cheaper places to live in florida. You just have to look around and do alot of research. Best of luck to you. Just think of the wonderful weather in Florida compared to Tennessee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are absolutely right! And I don't think a lot of people realize this. They're swayed by the lower home price tags (which is rapidly changing - even in this market!!). You need a good paying job to live comfortably in Knoxville as well. But the chances of finding one here are slim.

Thank you so much for responding! You've lived it... you know! I just wish I could follow in your footsteps... I'm ready to move now!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:50 PM

393 posts, read 1,517,149 times
We also are moving back to FL, but must wait until next year . Considered TN and Knoxville but after visiting and research decided against both. The thought of paying 10% on everything did not seem to compensate for lack of state income tax.

Keely- If you are considering the Sarasota/Bradenton area, you really need to visit both places in person as they have a quite different "feel" from each other. As in any move, look at the schools, even if you have no need for them and sometimes if there are pockets of less expensive houses within a city, there might be a reason for that. Even though you plan to rent, cheaper is not necessarily always "better". Lived in south Sarasota for 4 years and loved it, so that kind of slants my view, too. Good luck in your search, and not everyone hates FL!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
We also are moving back to FL, but must wait until next year . Considered TN and Knoxville but after visiting and research decided against both. The thought of paying 10% on everything did not seem to compensate for lack of state income tax.

Keely- If you are considering the Sarasota/Bradenton area, you really need to visit both places in person as they have a quite different "feel" from each other. As in any move, look at the schools, even if you have no need for them and sometimes if there are pockets of less expensive houses within a city, there might be a reason for that. Even though you plan to rent, cheaper is not necessarily always "better". Lived in south Sarasota for 4 years and loved it, so that kind of slants my view, too. Good luck in your search, and not everyone hates FL!
Thanks Sunshine Girl! I"ve always loved that part of Florida. I'm fairly familiar with Bradenton but have only visited Sarasota a handful of times. I'm not at all familiar with South Sarasota (the Gulf Gate area, yes?). I have family in both areas. But they arent' the best gages as most of them are retired or have been in the area for many years.

I guess my main concerns are the higher cost of housing and the job market. I've done quite a bit of research on housing and it looks like we can rent a similar house (to the one we are in now) for $1000-$1300 depending on the neighborhood. It isn't that much higher than the rent we pay now. But it is an increase. And with the looming recession changing jobs seems a bit terrifying right now!

So beyond the property taxes and the excessively high insurance rates what are the negatives? Has the job market crashed? With so many folks leaving FL I feel like I'm missing something.

Moving to FL is what I honestly dream about all day long!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 PM

220 posts, read 940,759 times
What profession pays your bills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area