Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 11:00 PM

4 posts, read 10,035 times

Advertisements

We are toying with the idea of a Sarasota relocation. The kids are 11 and 9. We are not sporty people at all. We live in one of the biggest cities in the country, and are very urban. By that I mean we do not play sports, we walk or bike everywhere we can, and by choice we love being outside at the pool or beach. Living where we do, that only works 3-6 months of the year.

We have tried living in our suburbs, but we are not cut out for the Friday Night Lights culture, nor the weekend soccer game culture. We want to walk home from work/school (I am a teacher), grocery shop nearby, and walk/explore the beach and/or just have fun exploring.

I feel like we will be terribly disappointed in Sarasota. We are looking at living in or near The Landings, where we can walk or bike to all schools and the beach, and where we have either our own pool or a community pool. But will we feel like outcasts because my son doesn't play football and by daughter isn't a cheerleader?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 07:28 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
The presence of a sports sub-culture in Sarasota for kids and their parents won't necessarily be a problem for you. After all, the percentage of kids on football and cheerleading squads is small relative to class sizes in general. There are other interests and other opportunities for kids to make friends and grow in their development. OTOH, I have to agree with jamsAlot. You are not alone as a prospective transplant in being urban where you are now and wanting to have that same urban lifestyle here, too. We see that often here and it is a reasonable desire. The problem is that every place is different and the degree to which Sarasota has an urban feel is, IMO, extremely limited. For me, I like that. For you, it probably won't be enough judging from your post.

I think you will be disappointed if you are looking for a "city" lifestyle. Sarasota is a small town, essentially, with a small "downtown" center and a broad suburban area around the center. It's not like a large city because it is not a large city so expecting large city life here would make no sense.

You might surprise yourselves, though. Change is good and maybe, as much as you like the urban lifestyle, you might like the Sarasota lifestyle even more. Just understand that it will be different.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:41 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grenouille21 View Post
We are toying with the idea of a Sarasota relocation. The kids are 11 and 9. We are not sporty people at all. We live in one of the biggest cities in the country, and are very urban. By that I mean we do not play sports, we walk or bike everywhere we can, and by choice we love being outside at the pool or beach. Living where we do, that only works 3-6 months of the year.

We have tried living in our suburbs, but we are not cut out for the Friday Night Lights culture, nor the weekend soccer game culture. We want to walk home from work/school (I am a teacher), grocery shop nearby, and walk/explore the beach and/or just have fun exploring.

I feel like we will be terribly disappointed in Sarasota. We are looking at living in or near The Landings, where we can walk or bike to all schools and the beach, and where we have either our own pool or a community pool. But will we feel like outcasts because my son doesn't play football and by daughter isn't a cheerleader?

It is difficult to be encouraging to someone who says they expect to be terribly disappointed. If you think that, why are you even considering a move here?

With that said, you will not be outcasts over your children's lack of participation in football or cheerleading. I think kids here are more likely to be involved in water sports. The local swim team, the Sharks, are fabulous. People are very involved in boating here. The kids I have met here all seem geared toward artistic pursuits.

It is too hot here to walk or bike places from June to October.

The Landings is a suburb lifestyle. Your neighbors will be old though.

If you want to move here to get a more outside lifestyle, but are committed urban, why don't you get a condo downtown? The condo developments going in are killer. There you could walk to restaurants and the endless parade of street events. You could attend the opera and hit the national touring events at the Van Wezel. There is lots of street music. You could shop at Whole Foods and go to the Farmers market. You could watch the sunsets from Marina Jacks. You could bike to St Armands and Lido Beach. Sarasota has all the amenities of a big city and the convenience and warmth of a small town plus the nations best beaches. Tell me what you would be giving up except a crush of people.

I moved here from LA. Before that San Diego and before that Cleveland. Hubby and I do more here than we did in LA or San Diego because it is so much less of a hassle. We lived 1.5 miles from UCLA and all that it offered, but it could take up to 2 hours to get there in rush hour. Here everything is so easy. We live in a walking neighborhood by the hospital and have our choice of eateries within two blocks. When the crush of snowbirds leave, we go downtown with is only 2 miles away, and only takes 5 minutes.

The problem for a lot of families is seeing all the gray hairs. You can't expect everyone to be your age.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:20 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsAlot View Post
In other words, Skip Sarasota, Skip Florida. I like Sarasota not being URBAN. Many of us have
had quite enough of that crap.

The whole idea of beach, warmth, somewhat informal, is antithetical to a rich "urban life" and "urban setting". High urban density is not something we aspire to having.

Keep looking - er, maybe in big cities with no beach, no water, no sports activity, no golf courses, no soccer fields, no tennis courts, no rowing facilities, no fishing piers, no fish charters, no gated communities, no swimming pools, no sprawling nature parks, and such. They're out there for you, but not in SRQ-Manatee or most of Florida.

The last thing we need are former urbanites being unhappy because things aren't like what they left in "The City", and "Up Nawth".
What ? You only have five posts and I'm already looking at as a troll so sad your posts add nothing.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:31 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Quote:

Sports has never been dominant here like it is up north and probably never will be as people don't generally don't care about any of that stuff and there is more stuff to do. As far as your lifestyle yes Sarasota is small city so some of the things your use to may or may not be available. However I will still give it a chance as it seems like your looking for a change for your family and The Landings does seem like it offers some of the walkable assets you are looking for so that is good. Just hope for the best is all the advice I can give you.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:35 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,955 times
Quote:
We are not sporty people at all. .....but we are not cut out for the Friday Night Lights culture, nor the weekend soccer game culture.
Perfect! You'll fit right in. I'm the same way.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:14 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,920 times
If you are bike enthusiasts(sp?) there is Legacy Trail down near Palmer Ranch that goes for miles to Venice and supposed to be extended into Sarasota proper. If your kids are into the arts at all there are magnet schools for that, a circus program for kids, art programs and gardening at Selby Garden. The public bus system SCAT has bike racks on the front of each bus that are definitely utilized. I looked into the Landings which had very lush landscaping. There are many other communities that may have more young people for your kids to interact with, that are walk-able and bike-able.

Last edited by joeyddog; 05-24-2015 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: words left out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: