Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 07:51 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post

I'm watching a fairly large screen from about 10' away and I STILL can't follow the action at times.
Our Comcrap went down so we watched one game at Geko's. The cheers and groans of the crowd helped me understand if what was going on was good or bad when I couldn't follow what was happening. It was fun.

However it showed me that the claim that Sarasota shuts down at 10:30 is not a lie. As soon as the game was over 2/3 of the bar emptied out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 11:43 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Glad to hear that other people can't follow that puck either. My friend sort of made fun of me when I said I couldn't follow the game -- "Yeah that puck is so hard to follow..." -- but guess what, IT IS! At least on my 40" TV. And the sport is nerve-wracking....I would be too stressed-out to be a regular fan. I like my football where things go slowly and there's time between plays. But anyway, GO LIGHTNING! Coming from Philadelphia where the town went crazy in 1974 and '75 when the Flyers won the Stanley Cup (and in '74 I had no idea why everyone was blaring their horns), it's been a long time since my "hometown" team has been in the Cup!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:50 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
We can do it!

Old 06-10-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Glad to hear that other people can't follow that puck either. My friend sort of made fun of me when I said I couldn't follow the game -- "Yeah that puck is so hard to follow..." -- but guess what, IT IS! At least on my 40" TV. And the sport is nerve-wracking....I would be too stressed-out to be a regular fan. I like my football where things go slowly and there's time between plays. But anyway, GO LIGHTNING! Coming from Philadelphia where the town went crazy in 1974 and '75 when the Flyers won the Stanley Cup (and in '74 I had no idea why everyone was blaring their horns), it's been a long time since my "hometown" team has been in the Cup!
Oh yeah!

Old 06-10-2015, 05:35 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
I remember when they experimented with a streaking graphic that trailed the puck's movement across the ice. It was more distracting than helpful but they obviously realized that following the puck was hard. I still don't see why they don't have fast cut away shots from cameras on the ends or on the opposite side of the rink so you can see what is happening against the boards on the near side. They seem to have the shots available on replay. Maybe it is too fast and too confusing. I've never been to a game but I have heard many times there's no comparison between seeing it live and watching on TV.

It seems to me that it is the "win or die" aspect of the playoffs and finals that make the games exciting, though, not the game itself. Normally, I never watch basketball but I watch the finals for it, hockey, soccer, horse racing (!), etc. It makes me wonder if I wouldn't get hooked on watching an International Paint Drying Competition.....USA! USA! USA!

Old 06-10-2015, 06:12 AM

252 posts, read 371,167 times
Believe me it's harder to follow at a live game without the announcers. Unless you're a rabid fan who knows every player at every position on every shift on both teams, it's very difficult. It's weirdly silent at times. All you really hear is whistles and gnashing skates and fan noise. And you rarely see the puck, you just follow the cluster of players most of the time.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:59 AM

We started watching the Lightning at the beginning of the series with the Rangers. What I have been impressed with is how evenly matched the teams are. Every game is so friggin close. It was amazing that the Lightning beat the Rangers in NY in game 7 since the Rangers had such a great track record of winning at home in game 7.

The Lightning are young and very fast and they do better in away games than most teams. And there is all this drama about whether the goalie is injured or not. He keeps playing but all the announcers can talk about is the length of time it takes him to get up off the ice.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:29 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La land View Post
Believe me it's harder to follow at a live game without the announcers. Unless you're a rabid fan who knows every player at every position on every shift on both teams, it's very difficult. It's weirdly silent at times. All you really hear is whistles and gnashing skates and fan noise. And you rarely see the puck, you just follow the cluster of players most of the time.
It's exciting, though. I've always hockey to be an extremely exciting sport to watch in person.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It's exciting, though. I've always hockey to be an extremely exciting sport to watch in person.
One of our friends who is a die hard Chicago fan went to one of the games in Tampa. $260 a ticket. Now those tickets are up to $500 (or so I am told).

Old 06-10-2015, 07:46 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
One of our friends who is a die hard Chicago fan went to one of the games in Tampa. $260 a ticket. Now those tickets are up to $500 (or so I am told).
Yeah I went to Game 2 and paid about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area