U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 PM

53,432 posts, read 68,365,809 times

Advertisements

IMHO they give a false sense of security. 2 of my friends were murdered last year in one
brother and sister young. people they knew easily got access and used a garage door opener to get in.
security was a a paid illusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 06:11 AM

657 posts, read 1,546,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Yankee View Post
Oh the pellets are for the ice,missed that part.I don't see how a gated communtity would stop anyone from doing want they want.At my Gated community ther is a playground for the youngsters,pool and baseball field.
So I am wondering what I am missing!
ha ha.... noooo pellets are little wood pellets to heat with in a pellet stove..
the main reason i didnt like the gated community and this isnt all gated communities ive been told, but we love to ride our quads in the summer and my friends all have golfcarts. alot of the communities are heavey deed restricted and dont allow these things. greyhawk, heritage harbor, etc... we dont want to get involved in that, we have our eye on a few spots we were happy with. cant wait to see how it all turns out.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Glad to hear you liked it-- as i said, be careful of the CDD fees. I mean it, do your research, there is plenty that your realtor may not be telling you. Willis, Witt and Williams are great schools. I taught in Manatee county but am now in a private school. My husband still works for the school district. If there is anything I can help you with please ask..Have you picked your favorite school yet?? Tara and McNeal are A schools also. My husband and I made the move from Chicago 2 years ago. It was a drastic shock, but like you we needed to get out of the weather and wanted to do so before our 2 year old started school. It's not an easy move, but so worth it- That cold, gray damp weather is gone! Believe it or not, you start to yearn for it once in a great while. It's just not the same watching football when its 80 and sunny! Once in a while a gray cold day approaches and you start to feel very nostalgic thinking of home!
yeah, checking all that out. i really am aiming for homes not in these areas. there are developments out there that dont have them.
i am being very selective, i hear willis and gene witt are good. and tara and mcneal as well. so any of those will make us happy. just need to be sure middle and high schools in these district are good as well. we cant wait to get out of the cold, i still havent warmed up since ive been home from my trip and it was freezing in florida. just different climate. it is so gross here. just coming in on the plane is awful to look at. BROWN and frozen. i took some pics of houses. my husband is so happy and i also took my 5 yr old... she cried when we were leaving. she said mommy i want to stay here. . she spent the whole time outside, and it was raining outside and even when it was we were still out on the lani with cage.
cant wait.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganjazmine View Post
Glad you had a good time and liked it! Also glad you got to see the gated/non gated communities! Why do you say you have to many things to do outdoors so gated is not for you? Did you find something out that I don't know about?? Sounds like you ran in to some bad weather, did it rain on you the whole time? What does your family think, now that you have seen it in person? Excited to hear all that you learned Can you imagine never needing salt/pellets again? We went to the Arctic Plunge a few weeks ago and there is 24" of ice on the lakes and they said you could park a freight train on it and not go through....that means it is COLD here! Can you belive people actually cut a hole in the ice and jump in it to raise money? Noooo thanks! Bring on the warmth!!
we found alot of the gated communites heavy deed restricted. a friend of mine lives in greyhawk, couldnt take his kids to the pool in golfcart. had to sell it. and they are strict with trampolines in some. we just dont want to pay all that $ for a home and not beable to enjoy everything. we love to ride quads, even just to go around the neighborhood. another freind lives in another community and they do whatever they want. lot more land too.
ive been going to visit friends for 10yrs so im getting pretty familiar with the area, everytime i go back its built up much more. i love it where they are. i hope my house sells soon. we want to get my daughter in school when it starts.
getting tough. there is a kindof quiet about my partners at work, did i mention i own a salon with 3 partners. they know im planning but are playing dumb and dont want to deal with it all. its sad to leave. i love my proffession but i love florida more. i cant wait to make change! i still have to drop the bomb on my clients.. thats going to be hard. i have to tell every single person as they come in. imagine working next to me hearing the same story over and over. :eek, well i am on my way to alot of planning.
the other thing.. we are bringing the inlaws too. and we would like a seperate inlaw . we are so picky huh. lol
good luck on your move. say a prayer that my house sells and i can join u all soon.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:42 PM

177 posts, read 179,166 times
Yes you are right,the deeded communities do have rules to be followed.I can see if you want to ride a quad,it wouldn't be right for you.I was looking at new homes for sale in the NE area just to see pricing and was surprised to read about a new community being built that was simliar to the communities in Fl,with a gate.
Everyone must be getting afraid of crime.
I think Esat Bradenton is one of the nicest areas,some parts of Florida are rather run down,where as E.B is more upscale.
Just my opiniom :-)

Old 03-12-2008, 09:44 PM

I would say to anyone making a big move to any state to try it out for awhile,be it long vacation or rental house.
I really like it here in Florida but I also love Ct and the fact that I have a condo there and visit regularly,makes me enjoy Florida that much more.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:53 PM

4,614 posts, read 5,770,347 times
Default Gated Communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
i would love some feedback on gated community vs. not.
i
We lived in a manned, gated community in South Florida. It was good in that sales people soliciting door-to-door couldn't get in. And if someone came to see you, say a service person, you knew they were on their way to your home. No drop in company except your immediate neighbors.

It was bad in that you had to leave your friends/relatives names with the guard for them to enter. Also, after 10 pm there was no guard and to make the gate open you had to have a remote. One time at midnight, I was out with friends, who were driving, and I forgot my remote. They had to drop me off and I had to walk all the way to my home by myself in the dark. (It was a very safe area, though, with streetlights.) So it's a give and take thing.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 PM

Yes,I like that too.No surprise visitors except local neighbors. We really like Florida. We are rather here and there right now/newbies.We have 3 places.A house we have just sold and have to pack up things we don't want,we bought our house in Florida the end of last year and have been going back and forth,plus we have a condo. Almost didn't buy because of all the negative comments here.
So I suppose we are all new at this.
I couldn't imagine not being able to come back to Ct.I suppose once we are really true Floridians,we will come back for the Summers and Christmas(have to see some snow)

Old 03-13-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Yankee View Post
I would say to anyone making a big move to any state to try it out for awhile,be it long vacation or rental house.
I really like it here in Florida but I also love Ct and the fact that I have a condo there and visit regularly,makes me enjoy Florida that much more.
to me, even some of the not so nice parts of bradenton seemed still nicer than where i am in ct.. there are pretty places here too but not where i am so much, its starting to catch up but now things are so dirty and rundown where i am everyday.one side of town is building up, we just got a target and panera! where i work, we are getting a new groccerie store and a lowes. it will be nice soon but im sure we are going to have to pay more to have these things. i live in a beautiful area but i have to see all the nasty parts of the towns i shop and work in. not to mention the weather. lol. i just feel so much more at home in florida. i have been going to visit my friend for 10 yrs and its better everytime. i know i want the area for the schools so its just a matter of the neighborhood i find. and the one i am looking in is where my friend lives so im familliar with it and i know alot of the people there. so this would be nice. just hope this house sells fast.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:18 AM

21 posts, read 91,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
we found alot of the gated communites heavy deed restricted. a friend of mine lives in greyhawk, couldnt take his kids to the pool in golfcart. had to sell it. and they are strict with trampolines in some. we just dont want to pay all that $ for a home and not beable to enjoy everything. we love to ride quads, even just to go around the neighborhood. another freind lives in another community and they do whatever they want. lot more land too.
ive been going to visit friends for 10yrs so im getting pretty familiar with the area, everytime i go back its built up much more. i love it where they are. i hope my house sells soon. we want to get my daughter in school when it starts.
getting tough. there is a kindof quiet about my partners at work, did i mention i own a salon with 3 partners. they know im planning but are playing dumb and dont want to deal with it all. its sad to leave. i love my proffession but i love florida more. i cant wait to make change! i still have to drop the bomb on my clients.. thats going to be hard. i have to tell every single person as they come in. imagine working next to me hearing the same story over and over. :eek, well i am on my way to alot of planning.
the other thing.. we are bringing the inlaws too. and we would like a seperate inlaw . we are so picky huh. lol
good luck on your move. say a prayer that my house sells and i can join u all soon.
Ohhhhh yes.......we will say a prayer for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area