Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:10 AM

14 posts, read 24,476 times

Advertisements

Very insightful. My children are also very different went it comes to academics. My 6 yr old is very smart but you have to work with her a little. My 15 yr old however is in AP classes here, has never studied a bit, and has always had a 4.0 gpa or higher. He is extremely into baseball. He pitches here for his hs. So that is a major concern for him. He also is huge into debate. He was asked as a freshman to go to Nationals last year. He is an all around great kid, but can be on the quiet side (outside of debate so I think he is worried about starting a school where he knows no one. Pineview sounds great, but I think he would definitely prefer going to school with the same kids that he would be playing baseball with. It will be a huge change for all of us, as I was born and raised here and have never left home. But I have always dreamed of living by the ocean. God has a plan, and we just have to trust it will all work out. Thanks again for all the information. It really helps to put my mind at ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 11:30 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,829,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiedawn View Post
Very insightful. My children are also very different went it comes to academics. My 6 yr old is very smart but you have to work with her a little. My 15 yr old however is in AP classes here, has never studied a bit, and has always had a 4.0 gpa or higher. He is extremely into baseball. He pitches here for his hs. So that is a major concern for him. He also is huge into debate. He was asked as a freshman to go to Nationals last year. He is an all around great kid, but can be on the quiet side (outside of debate so I think he is worried about starting a school where he knows no one. Pineview sounds great, but I think he would definitely prefer going to school with the same kids that he would be playing baseball with. It will be a huge change for all of us, as I was born and raised here and have never left home. But I have always dreamed of living by the ocean. God has a plan, and we just have to trust it will all work out. Thanks again for all the information. It really helps to put my mind at ease.

Looks like you have a pretty large spread in your kids, like I do. I would always joke when my oldest was in her teens that I had dating and diapers at the same time. I would certainly say that much easier for the little ones to adapt then the older kids. At that age it's really hard for them to go up and introduce themselves. It's "weird or awkward". Getting him into some type of sports is a great idea and almost insures that he will meet other kids. It really just takes one kid to click with to make things much better.

I'm sure you've already investigated it but here's the page for the Venice Indians Baseball Team: VHS Baseball Home Page Like PV, Venice also has many, many clubs for him to be involved in, including Speech & Debate. Here's a list of a few: Venice High - Sarasota County Schools Also, if there is a club that he wants to start but it's not on the list, usually the protocol is to approach a teacher that he thinks may have an interest in sponsoring it and chances are they will if a student asks and if there is enough interest.

Good luck with your journey!

Old 08-15-2015, 11:39 AM

Wow thank you ! Yes, we have already been studying the baseball stats and he already was asking about debate. Even here at a school district he has been in all his life, this past year he made new friends from the baseball team. I keep telling him he will make friends through baseball, debate, and church. But I also know that it would definitely be hard as a teen. So I'm definitely not taking it lightly. I will tell him all the things ypu have told me and hopefully it will settle his nerves like it has mine. Thanks again, and if everyone is as friendly ad you, then we won't have any trouble making friends. thanks again!!

Old 08-15-2015, 11:46 AM

4,568 posts, read 7,435,392 times
Quote:
We looked at Bradenton, and wasn't impressed. I know there are some nicer areas inland but we would like to be fairly close to the beach. That's why we liked Venice. The town itself seemed kept up nicer, and close proximity to the ocean. Another question I have is that I have heard insurance there is very high. Especially if in a flood zone. Can anyone tell me approximately how much that runs on say a 200k home?? Thanks so much for all the information !

A little background info on recent flood insurance changes. It's well known that the national flood insurance program is running substantial deficits. Congress has, over the past 3 years, attempted through legislation to address those deficits. The Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012 tried to limit or eliminate subsidies so that premiums were at full risk rates. A full risk rating means that the premium is based on the elevation of the lowest floor compared to the Base Flood Elevation. The full risk rates gave many property owners in FL sticker shock, especially those on barrier islands and along coastlines. As a response to the outcry from home owners, the Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of was passed by Congress. The Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act amended and delayed some of the changes made under the 2012 Act but did not repeal them.

There are a number of factors that influence the flood insurance rates charged, they do not go by the market value of a home, so you won't be able to calculate based on purchase price. Factors to calculate rates include: the amount and type of coverage being purchased, the flood zone, the property location, the design and age of the home and the elevation of the home in relation to the BFE (base flood elevation) of that particular area. The elevation is an important factor in calculating flood insurance rates.

The revised flood insurance program now allows rate increases on an annual basis. On April 1, 2015, the following changes went into effect:

Flood insurance annual rate increases for primary, owner-occupied residences built before 1978 (i.e., pre-FIRM structures) were set to increase by not more than 18 percent, plus annual surcharge. These rates, although having an annual cap, may still go up each year until they reach the full-risk rate.

Pre-FIRM vacation, rental, and business properties will continue to go up by 25 percent per year, plus annual surcharge, until they reach the full-risk rate, the same increase mandated under the 2012 Act.

Pre-FIRM structures substantially damaged or improved – that is, reconstructed at a cost that equals or exceeds 50 percent of the structure’s market value before the improvement – will have an annual rate increase of 25 percent. (This represents a change from the 2012 Act that reclassified all substantially damaged buildings as post-FIRM and immediately required full-risk rates.)

Starting April 1, 2015, an annual surcharge was added to all flood insurance policies: $25 to primary residential structures and $250 to non-primary residential and non-residential structures.

The latest version allows for temporary “grandfathered rates” for eligible property owners of structures built in compliance with a prior flood rate map after a new one is published. Under the grandfathering provision, after the first year premium, full-risk rates are to be phased in by a maximum cap of 18 percent per year.

Besides the changes to the flood insurance program by Congress, FEMA is updating the flood maps/zones for Sarasota county, with the new maps going into effect in 2016. Approximately 5000 additional Venice properties were added to flood zones under the proposed 2016 maps. To see the proposed flood zone for a property, Sarasota county now has a link to a page so you can just type in the address and the proposed flood zone is revealed. The link to the maps: https://ags2.scgov.net/sarcoflood/

If you pay cash for a home you are not required to carry flood insurance, you can "self insure" your home and play the odds. If you purchase a home with a mortgage, the lender will require you to carry flood insurance for the life of the loan if the home is in a designated flood zone. In the past lenders did not require flood insurance if a portion of your lot (but not the home) was in a flood zone. However, many mortgage people are now telling me that more lenders are now requiring flood insurance if any portion of your property is within a designated flood zone.

My suggestion to any buyer is to check both the current and proposed 2016 flood zones for any property you are considering purchasing before writing any offers. Keep in mind that a property can still be in a flood zone even if you don't see any bodies of water nearby. If the property is located within a flood zone, contact a local insurance agent to get a quote on the flood insurance. Depending on the various factors, the insurance could run just several hundred dollars a year OR it could run several thousand dollars a year. And if I were buying that home, I would want to have that little piece of information now rather than later.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:57 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,829,397 times
Quote:
Wow thank you ! Yes, we have already been studying the baseball stats and he already was asking about debate. Even here at a school district he has been in all his life, this past year he made new friends from the baseball team. I keep telling him he will make friends through baseball, debate, and church. But I also know that it would definitely be hard as a teen. So I'm definitely not taking it lightly. I will tell him all the things ypu have told me and hopefully it will settle his nerves like it has mine. Thanks again, and if everyone is as friendly ad you, then we won't have any trouble making friends. thanks again!!
Thanks! I just noticed on the Venice High website there's a "new to Venice Information Session" this Tues 8/18 at the high school. Although I wouldn't have high hopes to click with another kid there because of the whole "awkward" factor that teenagers have, it might be a chance for him to at least get a feel for things. Just an idea.

Another idea I have is for him to friend the various social media outlets in reference to the local sports, schools, activities, etc. I know the Indians have a Facebook page and I believe they have and Instagram and maybe Twitter. This would give him an opportunity to see what the other kids and coaches are saying as well as possibly ask a few questions. It might also be a good conversation starter as well.

Most of the kids my middle girl knows who attend Venice are now seniors. Some of them she knows through PV and some just because the PV kids and Venice kids mingle due to sports or just being in the community--birthday parties, sports events, friends in common and such. Some or most of them do, however, have younger and older siblings.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:43 PM

Thank you so much!! I will check it out!

Old 08-18-2015, 01:39 PM

39 posts, read 59,620 times
We moved about 2yrs ago have twin 17yo at Venice High and 11yo will start Sky Academy this year after spending the last two at Taylor Ranch. Coming from a charter school to Venice High my twins said the classes are not as difficult and are doing well, one has a 4+ gpa. Both are taking multiple honors classes and seem to enjoy the school. One issue that occurred to numerous transitioning to Venice High is the lack of progress in getting transcripts, updated grades etc. After a year I finally had to send a message to multiple administrators to get the transfer process completed. If your coming from a smaller school it can be easy for the kids to get "lost" in the crowd. Overall the kids like the school. Taylor Ranch is a great elementary school. We love Venice, started out renting but purchased a home in the last few months. Good Luck!

Old 08-21-2015, 12:48 PM

Thank you so much! My son goes to a pretty large his school now so he is used to that. Good to know about the elementary as well. We really love it down there and hope to be there soon! Thanks again for all the information !

Old 08-21-2015, 07:37 PM

707 posts, read 1,044,657 times
Venice is the best kept secret in real estate. If you drove around the Island you know what I'm talking about. The new home communities here have a lot of amenities for kids. The new home builders are on top of the demographic trends.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:19 PM

11 posts, read 36,467 times
We relocated in May to Islandwalk because of Taylor Ranch Elementary and my RN job was in Venice. My family was supposed to come down in late June while I got settled. It is a beautiful area and I heard great things about the schools but sadly my husband changed his mind about moving, so I came back to Illinois. 😩.
I took the advice of many and we rented a place. Islandwalk has resort style amenities but rent was expensive and I saw very FEW children. I think next time we try it we will buy something, a fixer upper, since my husband is a carpenter. Also I think a little further North we might find more kids? Sorrento East? We need a basketball hoop in the driveway!
I've not given up on my dream to live in Florida, especially after enjoying 6 weeks there!! Manasota Beach was 6 miles from my house!!! Good Luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area