Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 06:05 AM

33 posts, read 54,512 times

Advertisements

I read someplace that New York to Florida movers is a good company, does anybody agree? Also does anyone have another reference...
for me so that I can compare, I'm thinking about up for moving company instead of doing it myself...but super concerned about the cost as I'm single and working with an artist income. Also I need company that
can store my things for 3 months

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 07:57 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
PODS are better if you are going to store for 3 months. We moved from NY to FL and used Penske and did it ourselves. We got a 20% discount with Penske using our AAA card. Whoever you use for storage, you may want to think about getting air conditioned storage, otherwise some of your stuff may get mold. Most of my buyers that have moved from up north and have used a moving company had some kind of issue. Either not getting here when stated, broken stuff, etc. So, I really don't have any that I recommend.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:56 AM

118 posts, read 182,265 times
Where in New York are you moving from? We used Two Men and a Truck to move from Raleigh to Bradenton and were very happy with their cost and service. They have locations in New York in Millwood, Port Chester and Yonkers.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:21 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
Think very carefully about what to take and what to replace when you move. We're in the process of doing that now. It costs a lot to ship something down from NY (we're in NJ) to FL. Someone told me if you haven't used it in a year- get rid of it. Also consider how your furniture will look in FL. The second hand stores are full of furniture from "the north". This tends to be formal, heavy, and dark. Might make more sense to bring a few favorite items, ditch the rest and buy once you get down here. Finally, clothes- obviously you won't need 3 seasons of clothing (Summer, Fall/Spring, Winter). A few heavy items in case you got back up north to visit but other than that, a couple of sweaters and couple of pairs of pants will do it.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:04 PM

747 posts, read 847,003 times
Try Princeton Movers in Princeton NJ. We just did the move and they can store also....Lou is a good man and you can use Tom G. For a referral

Old 08-21-2015, 12:19 AM

18 posts, read 22,844 times
Recently moved from Boston. Best advice we were given - sell everything, bring nothing (dining and kitchen sets, sofas, winter boots/clothes, etc.). Purge as much as you can. We put most major things on Craigslist and moved bare essentials ourselves. Often you'll find the northeast motif is a totally different style, furniture may not fit (FL houses are smaller with very different style layouts - also remember, no basements for storage!). There's plenty of places to buy furniture here that will deliver within a few days. As for moving, we rented a one way Budget truck. Initially quoted $6k to have someone else do it, we managed to spend around $1500 total and did it in 2 days. If you can't lift boxes yourself for whatever reason, the Budget website links you to locals who are approved and insured to do the unloading for you. They also rent pods for storage. Look online for coupons - we had one for 40% off. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Sillyjilly00; 08-21-2015 at 12:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: