U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:11 AM

707 posts, read 858,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

If you can get the contact information from someone here looking for a home, a Realtor can register that person with a new home builder and get paid a commission. The builder writes the contract and pretty much handles the whole transaction. Easy sale for the Realtor.

I don't know any of the realtors who post on this forum regularly--although I did recommend one to friends who were relocating several years ago and think they may have used my recommendation---but they used different realtor when they listed/sold recently--so I don't have any personal skin in the game so to speak.
I have thought about your post and I just think that comment is really a not even a veiled slam against them--because you want readers to believe that they have no interest in showing clients homes THEIR interests are served by but ones that serve the REALTORS' interests -- mainly a quick, easy sale.

That is really snarky.
It certainly doesn't reflect well on your professionalism because you obviously have no facts to back up your comment. You give no specifics of owners strong-armed/persuaded into buying in an HOA community who regret it later...

Are you out there with whatever clients come your way telling them "No, it's not in your best interests to buy in an HOA-community"??? If you do, then that seems to go well beyond a realtor's role.

As several,people (not realtors) pointed out--most buyers are fairly well-educated about the pros/cons of HOA vs non-HOA communities.
Most of them are certainly not first-time home buyers.
Most of them have done research on the Internet and/or have spent time in the local area prior to buying...
Some of them likely have friends who already have bought and live locally who are another source of first-hand information.
A realtor is a useful tool for most buyers since they can't see homes without one. And you certainly benefit from having a KNOWLEDGEABLE one...but a proselytizing one--not so much...
I pointed out a trend and made a valid point. If you think it's snarky you're probably one of those who are easily offended.

So if your presumption is that home buyers are well-educated (they are not, they are well fed with misinformation from Zillow/Trulia), then the regular Realtors posting only about new home or deed restricted subdivisions must appear uneducated to those buyers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
To the OP, I don't think you are giving today's homebuyers credit. For the most part, they come to the party after doing tons of research and have a good idea of what they want and what will work for them personally. Before I even met SoFlGal, our realtor, I pretty much had our list narrowed down to two houses.

As far as the Venice area is concerned, we are to a great degree retirees. As many and/or most retirees go they don't want the possible aggravation that would/could come with non-deed restricted property and many started out as snowbirds so a gated community made much more sense. Personally, my husband and I did not want to purchase a home that was in an HOA for many reasons. We looked at a few though - not our cup of tea.
So you got around to proving my point that you purchased outside a deed restricted community. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
dpbarr

Interesting take on the subject, not saying you're off base. However almost all new homes are built in deed-restricted communities and have been for the last 20+ years, when developers ramped up the concept. After owning several homes north and Florida in HOA communities we knew it was not for us and our current home is non-HOA.

Darn hard to find a "newer" home not in an HOA and not needing major upgrades, we looked in many cities in south Florida both east and west coast. Didn't want to go through the agony of building-been there did that. So realtors will naturally steer people to new homes cause that's what is decorated and staged and has all the newest trends. Not what we wanted but most people want something shiny and new that will make all their friends think they are living the life of Riley.

If you want something on the water (the real water, not a drainage pond) it won't be in an HOA and you will probably have some renovating to do. Only 1 person in 100 will want this.
This is the premise of my orignal post. The regular Realtors find easy pickings by always recommending deed restricted or new homes. They are easy to get marketing information to copy and paste, and they are easier to value. You don't have to have a lot of market experience to recommend a new home communty.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I thought I hated deed restricted communities until I lived in one that wasn't. So much depends on town ordinances and, most of all, your neighbors.

I do agree that there a lot of nice homes that aren't in subdivisions. I have friends who live off of Dearborn in Englewood and the area is very quiet, just not fancy-schmancy.

Not to go off topic, but I've been staying in gated communities for the past several months in the Upcountry of SC and the mountains of Western NC, just wandering around in my old age. One cabin was about a mile up a gravel road with no sidewalks or streetlights. The others were surrounded by woods and didn't have 2 homes that were alike. Where I am now staying, these are the kind of notices sent by the HOA

BEAR ALERT
There have been several bear sightings in XXXXXX over the last several days. Please keep your animals inside. Also take your bird feeders in at night. All garbage should be inside as well.

It's too bad that planned communities in FL often have too many rules and regulations. To me they also have that cookie cutter look, but I suppose there's only so much you can do with concrete block.

By the way, I like SWFL, so this post wasn't to knock it, but it used to be so much more than gated communities. It has beautiful beaches, spectacular sunsets, lush tropical gardens and an abundance of wildlife. It just seems as if people move there and forget about all of these things or maybe the developers simply don't care.
I agree, there are so many nice neighborhoods that are not deed restricted that the regular Realtors never recommend. It doesn't take a lot of real estate expertise to recommend a new home community. The builder has marketing materials that can be copied and pasted, and it's easier to perform a market value.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:24 AM

3,620 posts, read 6,200,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
This is the premise of my orignal post. The regular Realtors find easy pickings by always recommending deed restricted or new homes. They are easy to get marketing information to copy and paste, and they are easier to value. You don't have to have a lot of market experience to recommend a new home communty.

so just to be clear, are you saying you don't promote or recommend 'gated' deed restricted communities or would ever sell in one ?

Old 08-23-2015, 11:37 AM

3,618 posts, read 5,184,544 times
Aren't you painting with too broad a brush?

I am not going to go back for months/years looking up all the threads I've posted in regards to questions about area neighborhoods, but as you can see in the post below in italics that was from just a couple of weeks ago, I do cover BOTH deed and non deed restricted neighborhoods.

I've probably listed/sold more non deed restricted neighborhood homes over the past 16 years than deed restricted neighborhood homes. I lived in the same non deed restricted Sarasota neighborhood for over 20 years. I am very familiar with the non deed restricted neighborhoods in this area.

If you read the original posts, many asking about neighborhoods on the Sarasota forum have specific requirements such as they want newer construction, or they mention wanting a community pool or other community amenities. Few, if any, non deed restricted neighborhoods will meet that type of criteria.

When people ask specifically about new construction, I do objectively bring up the negatives as well as the positives. Things such as CDD fees, cost of HOA fees, pet restrictions, lot sizes, lot premiums, how many builders give you a base price but the "basic upgrades" will add another $30k or more to the bottom line.

Everyone has an opinion and this forum is all about people sharing their opinions and providing information/experience to each other. You don't have to agree specifically with everyone else's opinions, but the forum does have basic rules about keeping things polite.

If you would like to stay near your current location, south of Clark Road off of Beneva are several popular Gulf Gate area neighborhoods.

Gulf Gate has ranch style homes built mainly in the 1960's and early 70's. Most are 2 or 3 bedrooms with 1 or 2 car garages. Most of the homes are less than 1800 sq ft but some are larger. The zip code is 34231. It's one of the more affordable of the Gulf Gate area neighborhoods.

Gulf Gate Pines is a tiny neighborhood of ranch style homes built in the late 70's and early 80's. It's kind of difficult to find the neighborhood unless you take Brueckner off of US41.

Gulf Gate Woods (34231) is located south of Gulf Gate and close to the mall. Most of the homes were built in the 1970's. It does have deed restrictions. The homes are mainly ranch style, but they do mostly have split floor plans with the master bedroom separated from the other bedrooms. The kitchens are on the smaller side but most do have formal living/dining and a family room off of the kitchen.

Gulf Gate East is also off of Beneva. The homes were built mainly in the 1980's. Homes there sell for more than Gulf Gate or GG Woods. The lots are large, with winding streets. GG East also has deed restrictions. It's a very well maintained neighborhood. Most of the homes have vaulted ceilings in the main living area and often galley style kitchens, unless owners have updated. Some of the homes have small patio areas in front. Not your typical FL ranch style homes.

North of Clark Road and south of Proctor, off of Beneva, are some other neighborhoods similar to Gulf Gate East.

Beneva Pines (34233) and Country Place (34233) are both nice, well maintained neighborhoods with tree shaded streets. The homes tend to be larger than Gulf Gate. Some are ranch style, some are contemporary and some have somewhat of a retro 50's modern vibe with features such as atriums. You will more likely have to purchase a home needing TLC to stay within your budget there.

If you are willing to look further north,

Tamaron (34232) is located SE of Beneva and Bahia Vista. It's a deed restricted community with homes built mainly in the 70's and early 80's. Deed restrictions are pretty basic. The home styles are typically ranch styles, although some homes have vaulted ceilings and most have split floor plans. The lots are generously sized and the community has some green areas of lakes and walking paths.

A couple of other popular neighborhoods that would be similar to Gulf Gate are South Gate and Forest Lakes (34239 & 34232). Forest Lakes runs east and west of Beneva, Riviera street runs all the way south to Bee Ridge Rd. South Gate is a neighborhood with a voluntary HOA, it's $55 per year. If you join the HOA you can then pay $99/year for use of the community pool. The ranch style homes are popular with both buyers and renters. Many of the these 1960's - early 80's homes have been renovated. One note: do not take for granted that all homes in this area are on sewer lines, some are still on septic systems and will need to hook up to the sewer system at some point in time at your expense.

Off of Wilkinson east of Honore is Emerald Gardens (34233). More contemporary style homes, low annual HOA fees. Also in that same general area is Grove Pointe.

North of Bee Ridge Rd running between Honore and Cattlemen is Colonial Oaks (34232). Attractive, deed restricted neighborhood of 1980's and 90's built homes. The north section has tall oak trees. There's a commuity park with a rec center, tennis courts and a picnic area. HOA fees also reasonable there.

Just east of I-75 off of Bee Ridge Rd is Lake Sarasota (34241). This community has a voluntary HOA. You'll find homes built in the 1960's all the way to 2000's but mainly in the 80's and 90's. Several lakes (hence the name). I know several people that live there, all love the community.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:07 PM

7,486 posts, read 20,747,141 times
Quote:
So you got around to proving my point that you purchased outside a deed restricted community. Thanks.
And can you believe it?! I actually sold her her house in a non deed restricted community. I agree there are lots and lots of areas both deed restricted and non to choose from, like everyone has said.

You listen to the client and what they describe as their needs. If they are looking for a community pool, fitness center and maintenance free, most likely your looking at some type of deed restricted or gated community. It's really just suggesting areas based on needs and then narrowing it down to neighborhoods and then a specific home. Not rocket science and there's no real right answer. On that note, I've had many a client who started out in one direction and then ended up purchasing something totally different. Also when I have several clients who are fond of a specific neighborhood and another client has similar needs, obviously that neighborhood would come to mind.

Same goes on this board. There's no need to rewrite the same thing I said last week about a neighborhood. I try to tell the person inquiring how and why the community would be a good fit for them or I have a reason to believe it would appeal to them. I'm not going to suggest different neighborhoods because another Realtor doesn't agree with my observations.

This thread was started to get a rise out of people and it's working.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:30 PM

704 posts, read 629,238 times
To the OP, the reason we bought in a non deed restricted community was because that is what we wanted. SoFlGal showed us what we wanted to look at and where we wanted to look. She also provided very knowledgable and helpful feedback. Personally, I think there are pros and cons to both types of properties. To me, it is very obvious, that deed restricted, hoa, gated communities are what a lot of people who purchase homes in the Venice area want otherwise the builders wouldn't be building and selling them. Yes, I know, according to you probably a "duh" moment.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:33 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,800,090 times
Quote:
I agree, there are so many nice neighborhoods that are not deed restricted that the regular Realtors never recommend. It doesn't take a lot of real estate expertise to recommend a new home community. The builder has marketing materials that can be copied and pasted, and it's easier to perform a market value.
I know what you're saying, but I never really noticed this practice on City-Data. I just think most people who move here from another state desire to live in one of the planned developments.

The problems I fear in non-restricted communities are personal. For many years I lived in a nice section of Bonita Springs near the beach. In fact, I could walk to Barefoot Beach, a community with multi-million dollar homes. During the housing explosion, there were expensive homes built all around me and, even some of the older homes on the river were listed for around $1M. The neighborhood was a mix of single family homes, duplexes, apartments and mobile homes. In fact, there's a new listing for a 2015 home for $1.3M in that general area. Many neighborhoods in FL are like this and, like Mrs. Gump said to Forrest, "You never know what you're gonna get." Every once in a while, a neighbor from hell would move into the neighborhood. I'm guessing their credit scores were 666.

Edit: I reread my post and I don't think I made my point. I was trying to say that, although there are never any guarantees, many people like the security of knowing strangers can't just wander through their neighborhoods. Another is that, if the county doesn't impose deed restrictions, you don't need to worry about an abandoned property with grass growing above your waist. I honestly don't like the manicured look, because it's unnatural, but in past years I saw plenty of houses in Port Charlotte and North Port with unkempt properties next door, usually because they'd been abandoned. I also lived on streets where dogs barked continuously, my biggest pet peeve.

Still, I know exactly what you mean about the effort (or lack of it) to show properties that are not in a planned development. I do, however, believe that today's consumers are educated and computer savvy enough to be able to make their own choices, since listings are so readily available with a mouse click.

Last edited by justNancy; 08-23-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 12:45 PM

704 posts, read 629,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The problems I fear in non-restricted communities are personal. For many years I lived in a nice section of Bonita Springs near the beach. In fact, I could walk to Barefoot Beach, a community with multi-million dollar homes. During the housing explosion, there were expensive homes built all around me and, even some of the older homes on the river were listed for around $1M. The neighborhood was a mix of single family homes, duplexes, apartments and mobile homes. In fact, there's a new listing for a 2015 home for $1.3M in that general area. Many neighborhoods in FL are like this and, like Mrs. Gump said to Forrest, "You never know what you're gonna get." Every once in a while, a neighbor from hell would move into the neighborhood. I'm guessing their credit scores were 666.
I realize that this is a bit more of a risk in non deed restricted areas but it can happen anywhere even a gated deed restricted community. I don't think any community is immune of these kinds of neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area