Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 02:34 PM

704 posts, read 771,563 times

Advertisements

I love orchids and have read that you can grow them outdoors year around here. Anyone here have any experience? I could use some tips and pointers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 02:46 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
I love orchids and have read that you can grow them outdoors year around here. Anyone here have any experience? I could use some tips and pointers.
I don't know why, I have the worst luck with orchids. I did, however, have three that are doing well after I just stuck them in the boots of a palm tree I have on my property. They seem to be really happy. Can't grow them inside though.

The lady, Marion Dixon, who owns Eldred's Marina on the way out to Boca Grande on the right hand side, has grown orchids in a greenhouse there since I was a little kid. I would say she probably knows what she's doing since she's grown and sold them for years. You might want to stop in there.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:55 PM

Thanks. I'll go see her. Now, I'm going to show my ignorance, what is the "boots of a palm tree"?

Don't feel bad, I can't grow orchids indoors either. I lost count of how many I've killed. I did buy a Vanda yesterday and am hoping for better luck outdoors with it.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:32 PM

I heard someone say that you should put an ice cube in the pot every few days. Not sure on that but I know I cant seem to grow them indoors, no matter what I do.

The boots of the palm trees are the "Y" shape wooden pieces that run down the trunk. These things: https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Old 08-23-2015, 03:43 PM

I think I've tried just about everything for indoors. Will try outdoors now. I don't think I can do any worse. Thanks for the link. I'll give that a shot. I just read where you can take knee highs and use string and attach them to the palm trees and the orchids will attach themselves - kind of interesting. I think I need professional help in more ways than one - LOL!

Old 08-23-2015, 05:12 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,432 times
I have 4 that live outdoors all year. I can't say they are doing great, but they are living. The Beachcomber on Casey Key has some hanging a tree next to their parking lot that do beautifully.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:28 PM

Oh! I just thought of it Old Gal! The MRT Lawn & Garden Center: MRT Lawn & Garden Center | Lawn & Garden Supplies, Garden Center, Landscaping, Outdoor Living - Venice, FL Right by you. Go in there and ask for the guy who gives advice on plant diseases, I think his name is like Russ or something. He is literally a plant genius and is the best person I've found for giving advice on growing, diseases, etc. People constantly bring in leaves and dead or almost dead plants for him to assess and give advice on what to do to get rid of the disease or perk up the plant or whatever. Not sure about his knowledge on orchids but he'd be top on my list to "pick his brain".

My brother owns Green Leaf Worm farm Green Leaf Worm Farm - Home and sells worm tea, which is found there and in many other local garden stores. I know many swear by it. I'm not sure if that would be a good thing to feed it.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:43 PM

Thanks SoFl, I'll check both out. Even if the worm tea isn't for orchids I bet we have other plants that will enjoy it.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:35 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
I was given an orchid plant on my last birthday, I did the ice cube thing didn't work for my poor plant. No surprise since I'm renowned for my brown thumb and most plants die on my watch sooner than later. I did, however, somewhat replicate my orchid with a paper creation. The friends who bought the original will be visiting me in a few weeks, if they say something like, oh wow, you still have the plant, I'll be so proud, but if they point and laugh uncontrollably, I'll know to toss it.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:05 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times
We have had a dozenish, sitting outside for years: some are a decade+ old, with most thriving, but some get punky after several years.

They are basically on their own for ~ 7 months a year, while we are back in our Mtn home.

They are in a ring plant holder or tied to a branch under slight shade and fend for themselves during those 7 months. During the 5 months they get some attention, they recoup and recover.

With the prices down to a Sawbuck at the big box stores, we add one every year, and cull the one or two that quits. Occasional fertilizer, trim off bad leaves, cut off dead spikes, let them get some 'feeding' rain, but otherwise they are nearly bullet proof and much tougher than one would think.

Lots of tips on the net, but it doesn't require a Master Gardener to grow orchids.
GL, mD

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area