Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 10:15 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Wow! back at you. You have a real talent for seeing everything as a negative. Has that MN weather soured your disposition?

Well Mr Sweetness and Light

yes I worked 25 years as a licensed psychologist and 14 as a CPA. And 10 of those years in school, I worked full time and went to school full time simultaneously. And even I had not had two professional careers, my life was enriched immeasurably by what I learned in both fields. Learning is my hobby. I still work in our family business, which provides good quality housing to people at a reasonable price.

My mother's attitude was that she would rather give me money over time when it was helpful rather than all her savings after she was dead. And seriously, a gift of $2,000 a year towards tuition is no big deal since all my schooling was so cost effective. Nothing gave her more joy that giving her only daughter presents. And she considered my degrees to be a status symbol for her in her small midwestern town. It always amused me that she addressed mail to me as Dr. ____. In a sense, the transfer of money was more for her than for me because she got way more joy out of doing it than it cost her. And I would have been able to do all the advanced degrees without her money. It was only the undergrad degree that I need her help.

And yes, I made meaningful contributions to many peoples lives.

What has your contribution been other than dishing out internet snark?
Thanks for setting me straight. You're unlike many people who obtain advanced degrees in low return on investment majors, that only result in fast food or other low wage jobs, that don't require a college education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 02:31 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfGateGirl View Post
Not to upset you anymore, but it sounds to me like your education was a cushy time. Is attending college really that difficult? You just show up, learn, and jump through the hoops. It's fun.

I am originally from Colombia. In my family it is a huge deal (and huge money) to send a child to college. It is a privilege and an honor to just sit through classes and learning.

So much has changed today for the worse for a lot of young people. One big exception are all the retirees here in Florida. They are riding rather high on the hog while the whole financial world is basically melting down around all these retirees.

$50,000 per year! From what!? For being on a permanenty posh vacation with a house in Sarasota Florida? $50K is at least twice the amount people my age (20's) are making in full time jobs in Sarasota, if we can even get full time.

Todays colleges are like miniture mental health wards. Kids are under a significantly higher amount of stress because the cost of obtaining a degree is substantially higher then in the good ol days. Also the entire educational system has been manipulated into something different.

Jobs are vanishing. There is just too much of everything that has changed and young people have inherited a far harsher set of variables for finding sustainable careers.

Kudos to Mom for helping out with the bills. (Hugs) <3
What you fail to realize, GGG, is that these "retirees" have busted their butts to achieve the lifestyle they now enjoy. No one gave it to them. Bust your hump for another 40 years, and get back with us. You'll be complaining about the little 20-somethings who can't appreciate anything. By the way, I take it that your lifestyle here in the US is just a LITTLE better than the drug infested hell-hole known as Columbia.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:00 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfGateGirl View Post
Not to upset you anymore, but it sounds to me like your education was a cushy time. Is attending college really that difficult? You just show up, learn, and jump through the hoops. It's fun.

I am originally from Colombia. In my family it is a huge deal (and huge money) to send a child to college. It is a privilege and an honor to just sit through classes and learning.

So much has changed today for the worse for a lot of young people. One big exception are all the retirees here in Florida. They are riding rather high on the hog while the whole financial world is basically melting down around all these retirees.

$50,000 per year! From what!? For being on a permanenty posh vacation with a house in Sarasota Florida? $50K is at least twice the amount people my age (20's) are making in full time jobs in Sarasota, if we can even get full time.

Todays colleges are like miniture mental health wards. Kids are under a significantly higher amount of stress because the cost of obtaining a degree is substantially higher then in the good ol days. Also the entire educational system has been manipulated into something different.

Jobs are vanishing. There is just too much of everything that has changed and young people have inherited a far harsher set of variables for finding sustainable careers.

Kudos to Mom for helping out with the bills. (Hugs) <3
Many young people today, in your age group are simply too lazy to work hard educating yourself in a high rate of return field. If you majored with a 2 or 4 year degree in IT, fresh out of college, you could start at $50K. After about 10 years, you'd be making about $100K. You save a lot of that high income, living below your means. After 2 or 3 decades, your a millionare. IT incomes are less in Florida. The IT field is very hot and will stay that way for at least a decade.

If you go to college and choose a low return on investment major, you'll be poor you're whole life. I used to be like you when I was in my 20s, working for peanuts. I educated myself to work in a high paying career when I was 40 years old. Now as I approach retirement, I can't afford to work for only $50K. That would be a drastic pay cut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area