Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:07 PM

287 posts, read 297,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
I bet the quality of their house and that Lexus in their driveway helps YOU determine your price, though.
kiggy:

That would be the logical fallacy of relevance, ad hominem circumstantial. My potential client's quality of their house or car (circumstances) is irrelevant to their argument that I'm overpriced.

I'm running a business, not a charity. I don't work for anyone for cheap. Well, okay, I do fall for the occasional damsel in distress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 11:51 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,832,993 times
I think it's very relevant. I've yet to meet a subcontractor or business that doesn't take into consideration of the wealth (or apparent wealth) of their potential client. It's a fact. Ad hominemis all you want, but it's also a fact is that you just had how many estimates with how many people shutting you down, and you don't think your prices are too high for this largely fixed-income area? Please let us know the planet that you're from, Shabby, so we too can partake of that paradise vacation from reality.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:23 PM

kiggy:

Bad leads are a cost of doing business, like my light or phone bill, nothing more or less.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:18 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,459,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabotnik View Post
kiggy:

Bad leads are a cost of doing business, like my light or phone bill, nothing more or less.
Exactly. So what is the point of your post? It comes off as a rant against ignorant prospects. If anything you are either a) doing a poor job of qualifying your leads or b) have an unrealistic expectation of lead conversion. This is a business issue you need to resolve. It is not the market's problem. It is yours.

Also, your comment about your clients being "glad" to find you are from up north is disconcerting to say the least. Seems you are saying that southern home contractors are incompetent. Having been raised in the north and living in multiple southern states I would assert that your claims have no merit. Good and bad contractors know no state boundary.

Last edited by vacoder; 10-21-2015 at 09:27 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Good and bad contractors know no state boundary.
vacoder:

I agree, but I cannot dispute the repeated joy of my customers when they find out I'm a Yankee. That's probably because I've not only returned their call, but I'm at their home when I said I would be there charging what I said I was going to charge and doing the work I said I would do to their satisfaction.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:57 AM

14 posts, read 15,815 times
Shabby, I was enjoying reading this exchange. I appreciate your honesty but you've stumbled. You too judge your customer's perceived wealth and let it effect your pricing. It's commonly done, you are simply no different so cease with the runaround. Just don't fault a home owner for pre-judging you based on appearances.

You say,

Quote:
...My potential client's quality of their house or car (circumstances) is irrelevant to their argument that I'm overpriced...
However your OP you clearly states,

Quote:
I respect my elders, but when you’ve got granite countertops in the kitchen and a Cadillac in the garage, you pay full rate no matter your age. No charge. Have a nice day.
By choosing the words full rate you are admitting to price adjustment.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:27 PM

809 posts, read 740,455 times
Quote:
kiggy:

OK, so good craftsmanship is timeless, but in this modern day of high res cameras and things like video sharing, can't contractors do a better job of gauging prospective jobs?

Would sure save a physical inspection. Yes, you'd still have to answer your phone, but that can be on your time, when your marginal costs are low.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:36 PM

809 posts, read 740,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwangDjango View Post
"Price adjustment" is a fact of life. For example, lawyers (not the most altruistic profession) do pro-bono work.

But let's noodle this around. If I was a craftsman bidding on a job in a million dollar house, I'd charge more. Because if I happened to have a bad day, and did subpar work, that owner would be more likely to sue me (and in this country, anyone can sue anyone over anything).

I think there are many reasons that businesses charge different rates for the same service. Some of it is price discrimination, some just business sense.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwangDjango View Post
Shabby, I was enjoying reading this exchange. I appreciate your honesty but you've stumbled. You too judge your customer's perceived wealth and let it effect your pricing. It's commonly done, you are simply no different so cease with the runaround. Just don't fault a home owner for pre-judging you based on appearances.

You say,

However your OP you clearly states,

TwangDjango:

I'm glad readers are paying such good attention, but it isn't me that's stumbled. I don't charge potential customers with granite countertops and fancy cars more, but like other criteria, I would use their circumstances as an assessment of their ability to pay my regular rates.

I've done some work for customers that couldn't pay much and I judged their circumstances too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area