Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 11:54 AM

9 posts, read 11,453 times

Advertisements

What precautions do you take to keep your dogs safe from alligators? Which areas in Sarasota County do dog owners avoid?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 01:09 PM

4,568 posts, read 7,435,392 times
Keeping safe from alligators is actually quite simple. Florida fresh waters are known to contain alligators. It is not safe to assume that any lake, retention pond anywhere in FL is alligator-free. Alligators do sometimes kill small dogs that wander too close to the water. Best advice I can give is to keep your dog at least 20 - 25 feet from the water's edge. If you buy a home on a pond/lake, fence in the dogs area if possible (not all HOAs allow homeowners on waterfront lots to fence back yards), keep your dog on a leash when outdoors.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:23 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,425,055 times
A neighbor of mine in a large lake setting surrounded by condos had her small white Poodle on a leash, and the alligator snuck up on them very fast and that poor dog was gone in a flash. The woman was traumatized and had to get psychological treatment for weeks. It was very sad. People don't realize how fast a gator can run up an embankment.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:34 PM

744 posts, read 835,629 times
I would turn a gator inside out if it came near my pup.....then again, I wouldn't walk my dog near water and she's big

Old 03-25-2016, 09:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,796,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygphotos View Post
I would turn a gator inside out if it came near my pup.....then again, I wouldn't walk my dog near water and she's big
Dam right!

Old 03-26-2016, 01:10 AM

9 posts, read 11,453 times
So, avoid all outdoor freshwater sources large enough to conceal an alligator. Got it. Seems logical, though my fear of losing one of my pups to an alligator prompted my questions. Thinking now I should research all crazy Sarasota wildlife to be on the safe side. If anyone knows of any other hurdles to enjoying Sarasota's beaches and parks with dogs, I would love to know what you know. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-28-2016, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,575 times
There's not many beaches where dogs are allowed. The one off leash beach I've been to is in Venice, and it's beautiful, fun to watch dogs romp in the water, chasing balls, etc. However, there have been problems due to people bringing aggressive and unsocialized dogs, and not supervising them with the end result of fights and injuries. There's also a couple of other off leash dog parks, although not on beaches. The largest and nicest is Paws Park on 17th street. It's completely fenced with a separate area for small dogs. It's kept pretty clean, most people are responsible and keep their dogs controlled but even there, my very mild mannered and friendly golden retriever was attacked by an aggressive Rottweiler mix, who's owner seemed powerless to control him as he attempted to rip my dogs ear off. According to others at the park, it's habitual, and the Rotweiller attacks other dogs "every f***ing time" she brings him.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
I find it difficult to believe that people whose dogs are routinely attacked by the same aggressive dog haven't filed lawsuit or taken steps to have that dog declared a rogue and euthanized.
Regular users of that park should have contacted authorities, taken videos and have proof of the owner's identity to help put that dog down...

PS our neighborhood in Nokomis is close to Oscar Shearer Park and fairly large undeveloped patch of open land...we have coyotes running in singles and packs in our area and they are know to attack smaller dogs left in yards

Old 03-29-2016, 06:44 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,685,228 times
My dog is large and not likely to be eaten by an alligator, but I would never leave any dog outside completely unattended. There are too many people who let their own dogs run loose and unattended, and I think it's just asking for trouble. My dog is reactive toward other dogs, and if I see a loose dog while we're out, we pivot and go in the opposite direction... I have no idea if the other dog will walk away when my own lunatic starts barking or if it will consider it a challenge and approach us. Not to mention coyotes and bobcats (only a threat to the smallest of dogs, I'd imagine), in addition to the gators. Your best bet is to keep your dog with you at all times when outdoors or to fence in your yard (and still keep an occasional eye out).

Old 03-30-2016, 09:18 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
Saw video online today for coyote protective gear for dogs...a coat make of Kevlar that has metal spikes along two sides and the collar line...you can add/remove some hard plastic brush-like spines to protect the top...
Guy who designed them lost dog to coyotes so made these to protect his other dogs...look like min poodles...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area