Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:26 AM

704 posts, read 771,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
I was wondering the same thing about the permits.

The sellers in this situation may not fully understand the "as is" aspect of selling a home in Florida. It means the property is being sold in it's existing condition, the seller will not make any further repairs to the property. Selling "as is" does not relieve sellers of their obligation under Florida law to disclose any material defects that have an impact on the home's value or desirability that are not readily observable.
Would this include a tax assessment for city sewer to be put in? I would think it would. I find this kind of interesting since two houses on my street just sold and construction for city sewer is scheduled for later this month and no where on either house was this disclosed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 12:21 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,964 times
With the real estate professionals on this site very excepted, it's been my experience with real estate agents down in SWF that they are very unknowledgeable, and some downright lazy. We were looking into some land recently, and called the listing agent for it. For someone with 15 years experience who sold "thousands of lots", she was totally unhelpful with any aspect of the lot (including set backs and water hook ups), and complained that we had called her on a Sunday to make a full price offer on the lot, saying she was "too tired" and could I wait until "tomorrow" to make the offer. Had she been the listing broker on my property, I would have fired her on the spot. Really a lack of knowledge and fire in the belly. Buyer (and seller) beware.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
With the real estate professionals on this site very excepted, it's been my experience with real estate agents down in SWF that they are very unknowledgeable, and some downright lazy. We were looking into some land recently, and called the listing agent for it. For someone with 15 years experience who sold "thousands of lots", she was totally unhelpful with any aspect of the lot (including set backs and water hook ups), and complained that we had called her on a Sunday to make a full price offer on the lot, saying she was "too tired" and could I wait until "tomorrow" to make the offer. Had she been the listing broker on my property, I would have fired her on the spot. Really a lack of knowledge and fire in the belly. Buyer (and seller) beware.
It amazes me that a Seller or Agent would be so foolish as to open themselves up to that kind of liability regarding disclosures.

In your case, I would be tempted to see to it that the Seller found out what she didn't do.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:24 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
When I was on the local board's ethical grievance review committee, I remember a complaint coming before us where an agent failed to make a buyer aware of a sewer program and impending related charges. The seller didn't disclose it but the argument was that the agent should have been aware of the situation. I believe we passed it on to the next level which is sort of like a trial, so to speak. I don't know what happened with it but it opened my eyes to the kind of liability we can find ourselves in if we aren't on top of related events.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:59 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
Just - imagine - your realtor is going to get a nice chunk of your money when she sells your lot and she says she is "too tired" to take an offer - I would be furious!!

Old 04-19-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
When I was on the local board's ethical grievance review committee, I remember a complaint coming before us where an agent failed to make a buyer aware of a sewer program and impending related charges. The seller didn't disclose it but the argument was that the agent should have been aware of the situation. I believe we passed it on to the next level which is sort of like a trial, so to speak. I don't know what happened with it but it opened my eyes to the kind of liability we can find ourselves in if we aren't on top of related events.
Was it a buyer's agent or seller's agent - do you remember? I can definitely see it being a responsibility of seller's agent.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:59 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
I admit to having a fuzzy memory of it but I am pretty sure it was a buyer's agent who had the grievance filed against him/her. That was why it was so eye-opening to me. It was a sale that occurred somewhere in Sarasota and all the other agents/brokers on the grievance review board thought it was absolutely neglectful that the agent was unaware of this project. Since I didn't know that area, myself, and could easily have fallen into that same trap, I remember realizing at that point how risky it could be going into areas that you don't know without taking the extra step to research as many potential problems as possible. Really, that applies to every location but clearly mistakes happen and no one can know everything.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:09 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,964 times
Mistakes happen. But downright negligence is inexcusable. Know your properties, people.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I admit to having a fuzzy memory of it but I am pretty sure it was a buyer's agent who had the grievance filed against him/her. That was why it was so eye-opening to me. It was a sale that occurred somewhere in Sarasota and all the other agents/brokers on the grievance review board thought it was absolutely neglectful that the agent was unaware of this project. Since I didn't know that area, myself, and could easily have fallen into that same trap, I remember realizing at that point how risky it could be going into areas that you don't know without taking the extra step to research as many potential problems as possible. Really, that applies to every location but clearly mistakes happen and no one can know everything.
That would be tough in our little area. Apparently about 10 years ago a relatively small section of S. Venice petitioned to become part of the Englewood Water District and city water was put in. Now they are about to start the sewer project. I have looked at listings that stated whether the sewer project was impending or not. I pretty much assumed that it was the Seller's or Seller's Agent's responsibility to be aware and disclose this. I was amazed when the two houses that sold very recently did not have a disclosure.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjka View Post
Well BBronson then we can disagree whether I have a basic misunderstanding as you think I do though I really don't. When a seller lists selling features of bathroom is "updated" and you can't tell which one was updated or when and you ask which and when and get "as-is" as a response has nothing to do with defects of the property or selling "as-is". If they list newer AC, and you ask when, to get "as-is" isn't an expected response as they signed off on the listing with those things in it and boasts in the listing they are the original owner of the property, they should know what was updated, when and if recent updates were permitted. How about either sharing those details even if he date was 1996 and you can't recall on permits or don't boast about updates!
I imagine they frustrate their realtor but why are they even home when you look?
Sellers r supposed to be out of house because if they are there will just screw stuff up
Don't bother
Too frustrating
And likely will be same way even if u hot a contract
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area