Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 06:07 PM

24 posts, read 24,735 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to either Venice or Sarasota this fall. Sailing is my favorite hobby here in the Finger Lakes Region of upstate NY.

My question is, does anyone have experience with trailer sailing in the Venice - Sarasota area? I think it would be fun to trailer to different boat ramps and explore, but not sure how realistic this is in Florida.

We have a 20' Flying Scot sailboat and are very experienced (lake) sailors.

Any info and advice will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 07:08 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
I had a 17' Macgregor way back when and it had a centerboard on a winch but it was a pain to use. I think if you avoid busy ramps and pick your days, you can use it but just be aware that summer storms can come up on you suddenly with nasty wind and lightning. Even power boats can get caught up in a mess before they know it.

There is a big sailing club on City Island in Sarasota. It's not Venice but they might be a good place to start.

http://sarasotasailingsquadron.org/

Last edited by bbronston; 05-05-2016 at 07:25 PM..

Old 05-06-2016, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the tip about the sailing club bbronston. I will definitely contact them!

Old 05-06-2016, 06:46 PM

If anyone else has experience with sailing the waters off Venice and Sarasota in swung keel or centerboard boats, I'd appreciate any knowledge and experiences you can share.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
You can definitely trailer and sail - BUT, I find that I start craving more sailing and less driving and setup time. In other words, I am truly lazy....and getting lazier.

Here are some options...

Yes, there are numerous boat ramps where you can put in and sail. Examples include Centennial Park (sarasota), city island (longboat key sarasota) etc.

The Sarasota sailing squadron is first class - but that requires a cost and a commitment. However, your boat will be stored mast-up and is much easier to get into the water. You then have easy access to all of Sarasota Bay which is quite large.

There are also a few places to rent sailboats.

I always weigh my sailing time against my "what it takes to get that far" time. Currently my real boat is up in Rhode Island - it's a 24" trimaran (Corsair Sprint). I wanted to goof around a little while I was in Sarasota for the winter so I bought an old 10' Windrider and put it on top of our Subaru. So far I've launched it from 3 different places and it is quite fun!

I may eventually sell the 24" and get a 16-18" - if so I will try to keep it somewhere (mast up or in-water) so I can sail when I want to. Being a daysailer I like to go our for a couple hours and not have to commit to an entire day. In RI I have it moored off the beach that I can walk to...so I am spoiled.

Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2016, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 447 times
Default Sarasota Sailing Squadron

We are members of the Squadron. It is very affordable and worth every penny. There is a very active Flying Scot fleet that also races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area