Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:34 AM

704 posts, read 771,266 times

Advertisements

I have to second the Casey Key Fish House. We have only been there once but the food was excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 11:07 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
I for one like Sharkys. Yes it's touristy and the food is just average but it's a nice place to take visitors and you can't beat the view. Fins on the other hand is just overpriced for so so food.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:32 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
OG, I've been there (CKFH) a few times over the last year, both for lunch and dinner, and the food and service is always really good. Lunches are moderately priced too. And you can't beat the view it's gorgeous. The only item that has gotten an "Meh" response was a mango margarita. But all the food is yummy. My hubby says its the best mussels in white wine sauce he has ever had.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:49 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
As far as food and a water view in Venice I guess my favorite is the Crow's Nest. It's on the island and we haven't had anything we didn't like. Now the water view isn't as good as Sharky's but it's not bad. Another place we have found is in Nokomis. Pelican Alley. It's on the ICW and it's fun to watch the boats "try" to dock or in some cases just make it under the bridge. Kind of entertaining in somewhat sick way. We like most everything we've eaten there and they make a kicker mojito. Pelican Alley is kind of old Florida and a little bit of a dive. Then you have the Old Salty Dog, food is ok, view of the boat docks. And lastly there is, I think the new name is Dry Dock at Marker 4 with a view of the Marina. I can't give you a review of the food at Marker 4 because it just sold and then reopened about a week or so ago. I personally do not care for the new menu - looks like bar food. I guess you can tell that we like to go out and eat. If you don't care about a water view there are quite a few good places.

Edited to add: It's a little pricey, but next door to Sharkey's is Fin's. We've eaten there once and we liked it. If you can get the right table you will have a nice view of the gulf. You will most likely need reservations. It is considered a "destination" restaurant.

I don't mind if a place is a bit of a dive---that is what the adventure is all about!
We'll have to check it out!!
Thanks again Old Gal--you're a peach!!

Old 05-23-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We went to Pop's one evening after the snowbird exodus thinking it would not be as busy. Apparently everyone else thought the same thing. It was one of those beautiful low humidity evenings a few weeks ago and there was a 75 minute wait. We had the young grandkids along and decided to walk to the bridge while waiting and came across Pelican Alley. We stopped in to chexk on how long it would take to be seated.. They had a scheduled reservation for later, but decided they could fit us in right away.

Our DIL ordered a Sweeney martini, it was presented with the martini glass and a small vodka bottle frozen up to the neck in ice that had flower petals, fern leaves and a few shark's teeth. The grandkids had fun chipping out the teeth when their mother was done with it, it was more fun than a coloring menu. The food and service was good and it was fun to watch the traffic under the bridge. It's a very low key place and was a pleasant surprise.
Awesome! Sounds great

Old 05-23-2016, 02:52 PM

Thank you all for the reviews and opinions!! I appreciate it very much peeps!!

Old 05-23-2016, 03:00 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Is there a place on the water around there or Port Charlotte that is better?
and Thank you old Gal

Make sure to get to Jack's at Marina Park in Sarasota, but walk around the park first, then go to Jack's. Drive thru Longboat Key and Siesta Key, *St. Armand's Circle. The traffic will be migraine territory tho. There is a Columbian restaurant *there that is fabulous. Pick up a few baubles at the jewelry stores too.

Personally, I love Sharkey's -- and I love Venice Beach (not the part in front of Sharkey's though) the one north of it. Get some tee shirts, sweatshirts, and take some pix at the hut on the boardwalk.

(I get a weird feeling though when driving on that road into Sharkey's ... several of the 9/11 hijackers took flying lessons at the old airfield that you will drive by there. I always say a prayer there ... that airfield and bldgs. give me the willies.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Make sure to get to Jack's at Marina Park in Sarasota, but walk around the park first, then go to Jack's. Drive thru Longboat Key and Siesta Key, *St. Armand's Circle. The traffic will be migraine territory tho. There is a Columbian restaurant *there that is fabulous. Pick up a few baubles at the jewelry stores too.

Personally, I love Sharkey's -- and I love Venice Beach (not the part in front of Sharkey's though) the one north of it. Get some tee shirts, sweatshirts, and take some pix at the hut on the boardwalk.

(I get a weird feeling though when driving on that road into Sharkey's ... several of the 9/11 hijackers took flying lessons at the old airfield that you will drive by there. I always say a prayer there ... that airfield and bldgs. give me the willies.

I think we will check out Sharkey's. I didn't realize that is where those creeps took the flying lessons! Ugh! I will say a prayer too.....so sad and so sickening that some people have no regard for life.....

Thank you for the input and info
Hugs........

Old 05-24-2016, 01:03 PM

16 posts, read 15,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
For good food with a water view I would recommend Micelli's in Matlacha. Hurricane Charley's and the Rooftop at the Wyvern are the only two water view restaurants in PG that I would rate as having good food.
It's a beautiful spot but pretty touristy. I'd give it a whirl. Just down the beach is a doggy beach which is pretty entertaining .

Old 06-03-2016, 02:21 PM

We are back from Florida but never got to go to the Venice, PC PG area! Poooop! Too much to do and not enough time......besides a hitch in our plans due to a boat. Long story LOL
Anyway, Hopefully we'll get there next year or sooner!!
Thanks everyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area