Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 46,657 times

Advertisements

my fiancee and I may be moving to the area due to a job offer she got. I've been trying to do some research on the place, and all i read everywhere is how much crime there is, how the houses are all built badly, and everyone that's moved there now regrets it and are saying to "AVOID AT ALL COSTS".

i already didn't want to move as it was, and this sure isn't helping. seriously, is there anything good about this town? we don't make too much so we can't afford to move in to some nice ritzy area, and we sure as hell don't want to live in a crappy area, but from what i am reading bradenton pretty much has the rich area, the crappy area, and the even crappier area.

and not only could we probably not afford the nicer area, but we don't want to live by the beach, which, from what i've read, basically means we'll be stuck in a ****ty area.

i don't want anyone to lie and tell me the place is great, but can some of you who LIVE in the area (not just people that have been there once or twice and had a bad experience) give me the rundown of bradenton and the surrounding cities?

i don't know what worries me more, all the bad things i've read about, or the fact that i haven't read a single GOOD thing about the town...

thanks in advance.

Last edited by Lennon128; 02-19-2008 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 PM

172 posts, read 943,046 times
bradenton has pretty beaches. try to stay in west bradenton. the higher the road number, the better (if i remember correctly).

Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,152,775 times
Anything west of 16th or 17th Street West will be o.k. Avoid the East side of town unless you are heading East of I-75.

Ellenton and Palmetto are nearby. They have both good and bad areas, just like every other town.

Home prices are slowly starting to come down. Poke around.

If you would like me to recommend a decent Realtor let me know.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:50 PM

440 posts, read 2,419,907 times
Ok ... I used to live in Bradenton ... on the river ... had a little gallery & studio on the little downtown main street and i just don't ever remember being afraid ... have things really changed that much .... what about Holmes Beach / Anna Maria Island ... ??? It was a nice location for me .... just over the bridge to St Pete Tampa, or Sarasota to the south .... even Miami wasn't too far away for a weekend trip ....

Old 02-20-2008, 07:08 AM

233 posts, read 718,417 times
Default Bradenton area

Where your fiancee may be working will depend on where you may want to live. I've been in this area for 37 years and used to live in the City of Bradenton. I now live in Parrish, which is north and east of Bradenton. If you don't need to be by the beach, the Parrish or Ellenton area can be a good option for you. It is easy to get the the interstate whether you're heading north (Tampa, St. Pete) or south (Sarasota).

As other people have stated, there are good areas and bad areas. There are many new homes (and existing ones) in the Parrish area available. In order to be better able to say what area might be good for you, let us know what your price range is. Others may be able to narrow things down more.

Just as in most places, the media (and some individuals) tend to over react to incidents. Certainly crime has increased in Bradenton, but it has in most places as well.

Let me know if I can help with more specific information.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:35 AM

177 posts, read 255,870 times
My house is around the Lakewood Ranch area.
It is called Bradenton but no where near the city of Bradenton.Seems like it is towns away.
Such a beautiful place.I can't see why anyone wouldn't like it.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM

4,892 posts, read 14,085,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon128 View Post
my fiancee and I may be moving to the area due to a job offer she got. I've been trying to do some research on the place, and all i read everywhere is how much crime there is, how the houses are all built badly, and everyone that's moved there now regrets it and are saying to "AVOID AT ALL COSTS".

i already didn't want to move as it was, and this sure isn't helping. seriously, is there anything good about this town? we don't make too much so we can't afford to move in to some nice ritzy area, and we sure as hell don't want to live in a crappy area, but from what i am reading bradenton pretty much has the rich area, the crappy area, and the even crappier area.

and not only could we probably not afford the nicer area, but we don't want to live by the beach, which, from what i've read, basically means we'll be stuck in a ****ty area.

i don't want anyone to lie and tell me the place is great, but can some of you who LIVE in the area (not just people that have been there once or twice and had a bad experience) give me the rundown of bradenton and the surrounding cities?

i don't know what worries me more, all the bad things i've read about, or the fact that i haven't read a single GOOD thing about the town...

thanks in advance.
Where's her job located? That would give many of us "former Bradenton" residents a better idea of what area would appeal to you...

Old 02-20-2008, 01:11 PM

62 posts, read 347,549 times
Inlaws live there.

The house prices seem like a value to me right now.

I wouldn't mind living there. .... Well if the inlaws didn't/

Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 PM

6 posts, read 46,657 times
thanks for all the input. i guess bradenton and "bradenton area" go hand in hand sometimes, while the city may suck, maybe the outskirts are nice?

as for price, kinda up in the air right now, just found out i won't be able to transfer my job, hoping to find something along the same lines for the same or more money.

im guessing, if all works out, we'd be making $70K a year together. looking for a 3 bedroom house to rent (no kids, just want extra room) around $900 or so i guess.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:13 AM

4,892 posts, read 14,085,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon128 View Post
thanks for all the input. i guess bradenton and "bradenton area" go hand in hand sometimes, while the city may suck, maybe the outskirts are nice?

as for price, kinda up in the air right now, just found out i won't be able to transfer my job, hoping to find something along the same lines for the same or more money.

im guessing, if all works out, we'd be making $70K a year together. looking for a 3 bedroom house to rent (no kids, just want extra room) around $900 or so i guess.
What do you do for a living and what does your fiance do? $900 for a three bedroom....not in an area you'd probably be happy with. At this point & time rentals on the beach and around town are pretty much equal...strange but true, and at that price, you'd be in a better neighborhood on the island....

Bradenton rentals are not cheap, even in this market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area