Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 05:16 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipsychick View Post
I have recently been to Mercato on Hillview for a pizza and it was very good. I went yesterday again and confirm it's good! I am Italian, moved to the US less than a decade ago. I have high standards and expectations for anything Italian.
Another place for a good pizza is Mediterraneo on Main St. I have tried Valentino...it's ok, it would not be my first choice for a pizza craving.

When I used to live in Tampa I searched almost everywhere for a good mozzarella (not the Galbani brand). The only place I could find it was at Costco in Clearwater. They had it shipped from Italy, weekly, on Tuesday if I am not wrong. It's the bufala mozzarella from Campania (Naples and surrounding). D-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s.

Mazzarro is a tourist trap IMHO. Some expired products siti on the shelves while other fresh imported cheeses have no expiration date!! When I asked about it for a stracchino (italian fresh soft cheese) the clerk, vaguely told me that cheese was probably going to spoil in a week. At that point I preferred not to take the risk of being sick.
On teh other hand, their ciabatta bread is very crunchy and good. Charcuterie is ok and the guys really know how to slice a prosciutto! The good and teh bad of Mazzarro!
There is nothing like a native born Italian to give lovers of all things Italian a reality check.
Thank you for the good advice gipsychick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 07:13 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
You had to look it up. I didn't.
My pizza is delicious. When I eat bagels it's usually with sausage and egg.

Enjoy your bagels. Are you happy on this side of Florida?
I like this side of Florida better than most of the rest of Florida, that's for certain!

Florida is Florida, tho - in the aggregate it's a place designed to make money for the monied and take the life savings from older folks.

But that won't happen to us!

Yep, as long as we have those good Lox and Eggs bagels, Trader Joes and Sweet Tomatoes.....we're happy. Yoder Farm market helps too!

Old 08-23-2016, 07:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gipsychick View Post
I have recently been to Mercato on Hillview for a pizza and it was very good. I went yesterday again and confirm it's good! I am Italian, moved to the US less than a decade ago. I have high standards and expectations for anything Italian.
Another place for a good pizza is Mediterraneo on Main St. I have tried Valentino...it's ok, it would not be my first choice for a pizza craving.!
hmmm.....

I have been to Mercato twice for pizza.

It was acceptable. OK. Decent.

I've eaten twice at Mediterraneo also. I like the atmosphere at the little bar/pizza - but, again, at most I'd give it a 6.

Oh, we are the Ferragames and DiNardos.....

I understand that standards differ - frankly, I only learned about the top pizzas in the last 20 years or so. We were lucky enough to happen upon one of the best in Trenton, NJ (DiLorenzo's tomato pies)....and I was hooked after that. When we moved to New England we heard about "New Haven Pizza" - people come from all over the country to check out Pepe's and Sallies. Then we found another boutique place in Rhode Island which IMHO beats their - probably a 9 out of a 10.

So now that we've found the promised land it's hard to settle.

We will keep looking tho. Sadly, the best place (maybe a 7 out of 10) was Flatbreads on Main which closed.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:02 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
Someone say Pepe's and Sally's ? Yum

Old 08-24-2016, 01:43 PM

7 posts, read 5,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
hmmm.....

I've eaten twice at Mediterraneo also. I like the atmosphere at the little bar/pizza - but, again, at most I'd give it a 6.

I understand that standards differ - frankly, I only learned about the top pizzas in the last 20 years or so. We were lucky enough to happen upon one of the best in Trenton, NJ (DiLorenzo's tomato pies)....and I was hooked after that. When we moved to New England we heard about "New Haven Pizza" - people come from all over the country to check out Pepe's and Sallies. Then we found another boutique place in Rhode Island which IMHO beats their - probably a 9 out of a 10.

We will keep looking tho. Sadly, the best place (maybe a 7 out of 10) was Flatbreads on Main which closed.
Mmmhh, I have no clue about the pizza places you mentioned above, they are just not around the corner. If you ever go to Italy I have a few spots to recommend you for a good pizza, Briscola in Milan is by far my favorite.

Please let us know if you find a decent pizza in the SRQ area!

Old 08-27-2016, 10:10 AM

538 posts, read 538,162 times
Italian deli? My vote is Piccolo's on Gateway Ave in SRQ.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:06 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
hmmm.....

Instead of telling the rest of us that our standards are too low, why don't you admit that Italian food is not your cup of tea. So Flatbread which is your choice above most closed. That doesn't say much about your standards.

Next time you go out to eat, go out hungry. Food always tastes better that way.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:14 AM

244 posts, read 372,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Instead of telling the rest of us that our standards are too low, why don't you admit that Italian food is not your cup of tea. So Flatbread which is your choice above most closed. That doesn't say much about your standards.

Next time you go out to eat, go out hungry. Food always tastes better that way.
Now that is funny...I have been to Meditteraneos on main and thought it was excellent.. risotto was awesome, my wife had veal, again, very good, bread is homemade and excellent.. Definitely worth a shot as everyone has a different opinion. we also like Venezias on St. Armands, never had the pizza there but the food was good, they have mussels in a white whine garlic sauce that is awesome too.. Good luck and keep the suggestions flowing...

Old 09-03-2016, 06:59 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
We recently had a takeout pizza from Trattoria da Mino in Venice. And I think we're done trying new places, lol.

Best pizza so far, no question. Hubby thought the sauce was a touch salty, but I didn't mind. Thin crust, not overly sauced, right amount of cheese, tip of crust slightly browned. Again, I was looking for authentic LI/NYC pizza. This is pretty close.

Now if I could just find bagels!

Last edited by newtovenice; 09-03-2016 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-03-2016, 07:58 AM

704 posts, read 771,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
We recently had a takeout pizza from Trattoria da Mino in Venice. And I think we're done trying new places, lol.

Best pizza so far, no question. Hubby thought the sauce was a touch salty, but I didn't mind. Thin crust, not overly sauced, right amount of cheese, tip of crust slightly browned. Again, I was looking for authentic LI/NYC pizza. This is pretty close.

Now if I could just find bagels!
My husband and I love Mino's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area