Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:34 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times

Advertisements

My .02

Took my mother to eat at Seasons 52. It was alright. We took a walk around the mall & saw many many people but not carrying purchases. It was probably my 3rd trip to UTC. It was a beautiful idea & kind of reminds me of Fairlane Town Center in Dearborn back in the 70's. I'm not even sure what expensive is anymore because rents here are up, real estate is up, construction cranes are up everywhere ~ should be an interesting season coming up ~ this mall will draw it's money from tourists not necessarily residents ~ affluent area or not.

I hit up the Red Barn yesterday & had a blast watching the cowboy sing, the barn bling & picked up a cool led/grateful dead spinning fan that you plug into the computer ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 11:06 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
We are not to far from UTC area, went there about 2 weeks ago and enjoyed window shopping but we are not mall people anyways. We ate at the burger n beer joint.. Something like that. It was good. Overall a good time but we will only go over there now and then. Much closer shopping nearby and again were not big shoppers anyways. I hope it thrives as I would hate to see empty store fronts and buildings.

You mentioned the red barn, we loved our first visit there which was now 2 years ago! Will have to go there again soon now that we live here. I had forgotten all about it!

Old 08-16-2016, 02:54 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kupoor View Post
This is false. It's false for Macy's, Saks, Mens Wearhouse, Gap, etc and most all of the other boutiques and retail (pure) establishments in the Mall at UTC. Restaurants hire servers, food runners, etc, who are heavily dependent on gratuities for subsidy of hourly wages....ditto bartenders. These are lousy lousy jobs. They are not manufacturing or professional. Being "so beautiful" is irrelevant in economic stability and growth. I hope you're were being sarcastic. Just wait and see for yourselves. More stores and restaurants will be closing. Most are praying for an early return for "seasonal" traffic. Right now, you can go see and examine for yourselves. There are people wandering around that Mall at UTC, and you see no packages (or relatively few) being carried by visitors.
I believe you missed the irony in the post you are criticizing...

Old 08-16-2016, 02:56 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kupoor View Post
Correct.

Competition is killing restaurants and retail.

It was announced today that Ruby Tuesday restaurants will shutter maybe 90 locations. In Manatee there are 2 locations (one at UTC area, which sucks badly) and one in SRQ (and it also sucks).

I bet Nordstrom is glad it didn't decide to anchor the MALL at UTC. Even the Nordstrom Rack at UTC ain't doing that well, at all.
Have not been in a Ruby Tuesday that didn't suck--
Maybe that is why they need to close locations rather than blame every loss of sales on the economy in general

Old 08-16-2016, 07:14 PM

733 posts, read 760,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Have not been in a Ruby Tuesday that didn't suck--
Maybe that is why they need to close locations rather than blame every loss of sales on the economy in general
Ha! Totally agree - my last time in a Ruby Tuesday I swore would be my last. It didn't *suck* but for the price it sure was nothing special. Many better choices.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:16 PM

733 posts, read 760,596 times
@bbronston Did you see they removed this video from YouTube? I wonder if it was posted to the public by mistake. Interesting... glad I saw it when I did.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:10 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
After I posted here, I saw that someone else had posted the same video on a local Lakewood Ranch site and some people mentioned that the video had been taken down. I don't know why but I imagine that it was either prematurely released or it was a representation of a plan that has since been revised. Either way, I thought it was still pretty impressive from both a technical point of view and a planning point of view.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:58 AM

25 posts, read 22,461 times
You do realize that many things have been dropped in the development as of late, don't you ?
They have backed away on quite a bit frankly.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:18 AM

You missed the point. I posted the video because I liked the quality of the video and found the subject interesting. I wasn't commenting on the state of retail. I only predicted that someone else would be negative by "going there."

Old 08-18-2016, 05:44 PM

Maybe so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area