Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:54 AM

461 posts, read 549,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida or Bust.... View Post
Yes there are other "little" annoyances. But too me they are livable and there are ways to lessen the annoyance. I have one major one. I don't like the influx of people who reside here for a few months or who regularly come visit and then leave. And then to return again year after year. And the new people you meet yearly who start doing the same thing. I find it harder to build relationships and I don't like the instability of many people in my life coming and going. I don't have family in the area so it enhances this feeling.

IMO, you are not as safe as you think. There is this underbelly of Florida that many people don't realize cause they don't travel in that circle. But it is definitely around you as you go out and live your life. One should not put blinders on. Yes, it's all over but there is more of it in Florida.

Other than that, there are many more pros than cons.

Welcome to Florida!

Your situation actually sounds like mine. I have no family here either now.. My stepdad was all I had and he passed away. I may have to move within a year to get closer to where my mom and her husband will.. It will be somewhere up north though.. Maybe New England area, but it could also be WA state too. I'd jump at that opportunity frankly. Not as much overall trash as FL has either. I seen that underbelly you talk about btw and I avoid North Sarasota. I HATE that part of town! And for its own reasons, I don't like University that much either.

Pros: good beaches, cigar shops, St Armands Circle.

Cons: too many transients like you say, self centered culture, shadiness of other people and low elements. Yuppies.. a rich/poor divide in most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Can't even tell you how many times I've tried to tell this to people. I used to work around gators...I'm not blowing smoke...they really are lazy and would rather you not bother them, but if you do....well, you're an idiot. (general "you")

You also mentioned one thing I really, really liked about Florida. Everyone was from somewhere else so you didn't get that haughty attitude, stand offishness, closed, extremely reserved, and suspicious behavior from others like you do in some parts of this country. God, I can't stand that. I can think of a few places that I've lived that act like that and while those places have their qualities as well, the "closed inner circle" thing is just irritating and really does make me think less of people who would be so unwilling to just fricken open up around someone new.

Florida has a lot of good things about it, a lot of bad things, (you mentioned one of them and his truck, there's that and the abrasive, obnoxious incivility in Miami for examples), but overall, it's a pretty decent state. You will find a LOT to do if you are adventurous. Even if you aren't, the beach that close is a free outing for the day.

See I think FL outside of California is one of the rudest states. Maybe not as much as CA, but pretty close in its own way too. Most places in the south suck.. to put it blunt. This area is probably one of the best seeing you're in the south but we're kidding ourselves if we literally think that compared to other northern locations, this area stacks up.. You have to be an idiot. Lets take Sarasota, great by southern standards and FL standards but compared to Nashua NH, Olympia WA.. no way.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:07 PM

128 posts, read 165,541 times
A big thing about enjoying Sarasota is having financial stability and being retired too.

It seems like working class people who don't mind serving retirees constantly, they do okay. They are in the medical field, senior assisted living, serving them dinner, cooking them food, pouring their drinks, fixing their houses, getting their pills, washing their cars, cleaning their dirty bedsheets, fixing their food, and everything else for them and just for their needs and nobody else.

Retirees will never do much of anything for you though. Right?

Married people do better here then singles namely because they have dual incomes. Also they are less effected by the isolation of serving retirees constantly day in and day out.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalaspa View Post
A big thing about enjoying Sarasota is having financial stability and being retired too.

It seems like working class people who don't mind serving retirees constantly, they do okay. They are in the medical field, senior assisted living, serving them dinner, cooking them food, pouring their drinks, fixing their houses, getting their pills, washing their cars, cleaning their dirty bedsheets, fixing their food, and everything else for them and just for their needs and nobody else.

Retirees will never do much of anything for you though. Right?

Married people do better here then singles namely because they have dual incomes. Also they are less effected by the isolation of serving retirees constantly day in and day out.

So technically I did make the wrong choice coming back to FL then. I had such a different experience the first time around. I lived in nicer neighborhoods.. my mom worked and was married to my stepdad at the time who was in and out of jobs. They lived in Parrish. I felt I wasn't getting anywhere living with them in some exurb like Parrish so I thought being further out limited me but now I live closer to all the stuff in Sarasota and I have my doubts still to put it blunt. I thought the only thing I needed was to be near more of a population center but I still find many social struggles down here. Just as many.. the only difference is I am just a lot closer in. Where I lived before probably had little effect on getting ahead after all. Sometimes you don't always know though until you move in and out of a place a few times then it finally catches on. I am kind of in the middle of my wake up call that coming back to FL may have been a mistake for me.. but I also felt like a retiree too because I brought some extra money with me that I saved but.. I don't want to be stuck here when it all runs out you know. If that gives you any idea.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:10 PM

128 posts, read 165,541 times
The Sarasota County Comprehensive Plan states clearly that Sarasota is getting older and that it will continue getting older and also that your age range (30's) is getting smaller and getting crunched harder every single day until you Die. The retirees will live much longer lives then you. This Is A Retirement Area. Period.

There are no areas to run to and find youth. I have spoken with dozens of guys who moved to downtown and they all say it is still boring for them. Why? Because it is a retirement area. Peroid. It is not going to change ever. It is only getting older and the Sarasota County Comprehensive Plan says so, clearly.

There is a particular brand of people who fit in to Sarasota. You are not one of them. If these photographs of retirees nauseate you then you do not belong in Sarasota or basically anywhere in Florida.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:26 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,457,575 times
That's sad Mitch - why stay married if you are not madly in love? Life is too short...

Old 11-23-2016, 01:10 PM

17,453 posts, read 38,833,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
How do you know the people in the pictures are married?
Maybe they're dating, just met, are having affairs...
LOL - those are just random internet photos anyway. They could be anyone, taken anywhere. That poster seems to have an obsession.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:24 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,569,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
How do you know the people in the pictures are married?
Maybe they're dating, just met, are having affairs...
Probably just random people posing for the pic....

Heck, go to whole food - the place is full of young women in tight yoga pants who look like they must have all the money in the world. They somehow go to yoga, the gym, job and don't have a bead of sweat on them nor a hair out of place.

It's amazing. A Florida Miracle.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Probably just random people posing for the pic....

Heck, go to whole food - the place is full of young women in tight yoga pants who look like they must have all the money in the world. They somehow go to yoga, the gym, job and don't have a bead of sweat on them nor a hair out of place.

It's amazing. A Florida Miracle.
Yea I am long over those types.. they don't want a man in their lives. They're just about finished and their yuppie attitudes will only get themselves so far. Theres a whole other side to town here but they want to be in their own little bubble and since they do.. I DO TOO.. I stay to my side of town also because I want nothing to do with them people. I actually hardly ever go to downtown Sarasota.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,316 times
I hate Sarasota! We moved here 18 months ago from McLean Va and what a culture shock! There are no restaurants here other than the Ritz and Summer House. Shopping is pathetic at best. Everyone is dying or stupid or just visiting. It’s so unbearably hot and humid. We have a big beautiful home with over 2 acres and a pool, Country Club membership, etc. I am so bored and so frustrated living here I could just die. Putting our house on the market and moving back to civilization in McLean Va. Huge mistake moving here! It’s like living in a 3rd world country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area