Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:30 AM

83 posts, read 264,513 times

Advertisements

ok sorry just Googled the term. So if I understand it right because I served in the military for 8 years, put myself through college while working 2 jobs, bought and paid for my homes, paid for my kids education including college and worked all told 60 years and still managed to put enough by so I'm not living on just rice and beans in my retirement years, I've committed generational theft. Who knew......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 02:05 PM

26 posts, read 24,313 times
Yes, some posters here are not only young and opinionated, they are also not very well educated about history or the economy. Spending time reading and doing real research vs. internet/TV sound bites yields more accurate information and understanding. (And I'm Gen X, between boomers and millenials, so have no personal dog in this fight but am always on the side of accuracy.) Anyway that was a very undeserved attack you received and all I can say is ignore the haters LOL.

To get back on track, yes, as others have said, $ 1200 - $ 1800 for a seasonal rental is a low budget, at least for Sarasota or Bradenton, and for a house or condo and not an RV/park model in an RV/MH park.

We just became permanent this year with a home purchase. We still have our travel trailer in a Bradenton RV/MH park. Our park was purchased by Sun (huge company). They brought in a bunch of brand new park models which have 1 BR, 1 BA, apt size stackable w/d units, a very small deck, covered carport, concrete drive, and landscaping. They are asking $ 2500 per month for season months (Jan, Feb, and Mar). Other parks may be different. Also, these are all completely brand new.

That is a rental through corporate owners of the park. You can find "pre-owned" RV and park models for rent for less than that from individual owners in various parks. So far, in addition to the well-known websites listed upthread, I would only add Craigslist as a place to look for options (but be careful on CL). I'm not sure if we will rent or sell ours and I'm not sure where else to advertise other than the places already mentioned, or I'd provide you with more recommendations. If/when I hear back from some folks I am asking, I'll let you know.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2016, 06:01 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,018,629 times
Go away snowbirds

Old 12-28-2016, 07:00 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,542 times
As a west central Minnesota person, whose parents are what you would call snowbirds, I can say they have worked hard all of their lives and enjoy going down to a rental each winter where it isn't -30ºF wind-chills and snow up to the kneecaps. I doubt my dad clogs up any roadways and they do contribute to the local economy by buying locally and supporting local businesses. Do those of you who snub people from "up north" ever go on vacation outside of Florida, for Pete's sake?

I've heard this negativity toward "Snowbirds" before, but really, I think it is a bit childish and selfish to think that you can live in a warm weather destination and not have people wanting to visit.

Attached is a picture I took of my dad clearing the driveway, after returning from a month in Florida with mom. Want to tell him you begrudge him a bit of sunshine on his bones?
Attached Thumbnails
Bradenton snowbird rental, checking area out week-734336_917076580660_1797547690_n.jpg  

Old 12-31-2016, 03:47 PM

28 posts, read 27,308 times
Hey Froggie Legs- that looks like my world up here on Tug Hill, upstate NY... any doubters about snow- go check it out on the internet! we were blessed last year with low snow, but very low temperatures for 95% of February. Yeah it rocked!(sarcasm).
So, we arrive in Bradenton on 1/13; will check out the area for community feel; then prob head in one hour east - looks like route 17 would be possibly place to actually check out whether rent or buy for the best bang for the buck. bartow to arcadia maybe? or we'll stick to looking again in the northport area.
Thanks to all for the information and the entertainment! Love it

Old 12-31-2016, 03:49 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,018,629 times
More New Yorkers.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:22 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
Default Looking also

To the OP, I've been reading and visiting for a few years now, as well. I have family in Florida, some on the east coast and some on the west. I have focused on two areas in part due to weather. I do not want sweater weather or 50’s when I can be in 75* temps. That fact brings me down to about the Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens area on the east coast. I've been looking closely at Naples and Bonita Beach on the west coast. Condos can be relatively inexpensive even in these expensive areas at under $130/night. That is more than you stated as an ideal cost but is closer to what I have found to be reasonable here. There are places in the $50-100/night range but they are not usually places I would like to rent for various reasons. I have found that the accommodations are as important as the locale, especially as I grow older.

One thing for sure: come January I am out of this ice locker until April. Just have to hang in there a few more years. Cheers.

DC

PS I'm in the Capital District area.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:03 PM

23 posts, read 19,775 times
To all the folks looking, we purchased in Sarasota in 2008. Yup, call me a snowbird if you wish. I am here off and on, year round. We spend most of the year in Massachusetts. Spending the warmer months in FL is a huge deal. This year has been the warmest January I have had here. Temperatures range around 65-75, which still beats New England. There are often foreclosures and/or short sales which should be considered. With the market trend, I expect the competition from investors to be minimal.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:44 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYOUNG47 View Post
Hey Froggie Legs- that looks like my world up here on Tug Hill, upstate NY... any doubters about snow- go check it out on the internet! we were blessed last year with low snow, but very low temperatures for 95% of February. Yeah it rocked!(sarcasm).
So, we arrive in Bradenton on 1/13; will check out the area for community feel; then prob head in one hour east - looks like route 17 would be possibly place to actually check out whether rent or buy for the best bang for the buck. bartow to arcadia maybe? or we'll stick to looking again in the northport area.
Thanks to all for the information and the entertainment! Love it
Arcadia?

Community feel?

Sad to say Florida doesn't have much community feel....or, more accurately, lots of mini-communities. If you live in a certain community (gated, HOA, etc.) there may be community stuff to do. But there is such a variety of transplants that it's not like the north and more stable parts of the country where there is a "community" you can point to. Bradenton is everything from trailer parks to multi-million dollar beach or bay front...and everything in between.

Inland Florida is like...well, it makes Utica look like NYC. Florida is centered around factory farming and phosphate mining and so inland communities are often not what you'd think they would be.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. If I was in my "rural" phase (I lived in TN and WV) I'd probably look for the best of both worlds...like a few miles west of the Interstate where there is nice horse and farm and state park country.

It somewhat depends on if you are moving or snowbirding. If snowbirding, it's probably best to be as far west as possible for beach, travel, civilization and things to do. If year-round and you like gardening, horses and/or a few acres, check out the entire area just a few miles west of the interstate.

I was up near Tug once or twice - at Woodsman Field Days in Boone.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:13 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times
I think it depends where you live in Florida. I think more populated areas have a less of a community feel due to the large number of people but the smaller towns definitely do.

We've been in the Englewood area for 18 months and have developed friends, fishing buddies and got to know several people in the local businesses, the bank, pizza places and restaurants. One guy called me one of his regular customers and i think that's when it clicked for me. There's a couple guys i bicycle with now and people to walk dogs with. We go to the local festivals and car shows and take the time to stop and talk. I'm starting to see people around town that I know and say hi to.

The first few months were strange not knowing anyone but now it's starting to feel more like home only better because everyone seems more outgoing than where we came from. I guess it's because others are trying to make a connection or wanting to get to know people.

When our kids were little we came down to camp at the KOA in Arcadia several times over Christmas vacation. My brother spends the winter in Avon park so we go through Arcadia and Zolfo Springs when we go to visit. Those towns seem the same as they did thirty years ago and if it wasn't for the palm trees and orange groves it would be like any of the small towns we came from up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area