Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:16 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I shop at the Walmart
So stop shopping at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 07:16 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Walmart is awful on every level, and what the OP says is true - they consistently charge more than the marked price. There is no customer service, and the produce is usually old and wilted. The stores themselves, even new ones are depressing.

ALDI is awesome, I shop there a few times a month. The quality is great, and they have many organic, gluten-free and gourmet items.

Lastly, Detweiler's is a great store, we are lucky to have it! They have a huge selection of produce, a fantastic deli counter, seafood counter, butcher counter and bakery. All at great prices. They are always jammed in there, I think that speaks for itself.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:18 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Another choice coming soon:

Lucky Supermarkets is adding a new store in Sarasota. This is a new chain coming into the area. The first store is going to be near the intersection of US 41/Bee Ridge at at Southgate Mall.

Lucky Supermarket is more of an organic type place with bulk nuts and grains and similar setup and size as Whole Foods, but not as expensive as Whole Foods.

They currently have stores in Naples and Gainesville.

Here's a yelp review of the Naple's Lucky store, with 24 photos.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/luckys-supermarket-naples

Old 01-03-2017, 08:18 AM

128 posts, read 167,142 times
Walmart does not pay it's employees enough to survive and it's like the most profitable and largest corporation in the world. It's too bad. Also nothing in Walmart is inexpensive. People really should not shop at those stores.

Detweilers labels all kinds of produce "Local" but from where? They do not define local. I think it's a lie. Also there are lots of #3's (GMO) in their produce. They probably do not take very meticulous care about labeling their products correctly concerning their status as organic.

Furthermore, a #9 (organic) is not truly organic and natural. It is more quasi-organic where instead of using heavy duty chemicals as insecticides and pesticides, they use semi-natural insecticides and pesticides. The difference between a #4 (conventional) and #9 (organic) is not much. These entire produce sections are questionable.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:22 AM

128 posts, read 167,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I thought the same thing. This poster has finally found a platform where they can wind people up and get the response they have wanted through all their various screen names. I'm guessing another supposedly young Sarasota hater is the same person, the sentence structure and language used is similar.
Not sure where you get this but no I am real. So is sorrysota, and so is SouthSota. We all think Sarasota is boring. I have seen you folks accuse others of being the same "troll". We are not. Here at the Sarasota forum if anybody thinks Sarasota is boring, they are called a troll.

I will use people like Sun Shine Rules (who posts weekly lists of all the family friendly happenings in Sarasota, of which I find painfully boring) as a guiding light for leaving Sarasota, of which I find to be a boring place designed mostly for retirees.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:58 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Another choice coming soon:

Lucky Supermarkets is adding a new store in Sarasota. This is a new chain coming into the area. The first store is going to be near the intersection of US 41/Bee Ridge at at Southgate Mall.

Lucky Supermarket is more of an organic type place with bulk nuts and grains and similar setup and size as Whole Foods, but not as expensive as Whole Foods.

They currently have stores in Naples and Gainesville.

Here's a yelp review of the Naple's Lucky store, with 24 photos.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/luckys-supermarket-naples
Lucky's sounds nice! Is it as expensive as say Fresh Market? Which plaza is it going into, is this the one where Publix is? I will look forward to checking it out.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:06 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Default Walmart Supercenter #5264, 13140 South Tamiami Trail, Osprey, Florida 34229-3801

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I shop at the Walmart in Osprey. Just about every time I go there items ring up higher at the register than what they're marked at on the shelves. I bought some Jenny-O seasoned turkey burgers (6 in a box) a month ago - they are marked at $5.99 in the freezer - however they ring up at the register as $6.49. Today I was at Walmart and they never changed the price that is marked in the freezer - they're still listed at $5.99. So today they had a special rack with table place-mats all marked clearly on the display at .97 cents. So I get up to the register and they ring up at $2 each.

Every time things ring up different at the register (as compared to the shelf) - it's always a higher amount. Not once have I ever had anything ring up lower at the register (than what's marked on the shelf). IMO this is a form of dishonesty - and not a "simple mistake". Is there some agency that is supposed to oversee things like this? Where/who can I report this to?

Today when I told the cashier that the place-mats were ringing up wrong - he he said he paged the manager. So I stood there waiting for several minutes and still no manager in sight - meanwhile the people in line in back of me are getting antsy. So I just told the cashier to take the place-mats back.

That store is very poorly run - there are other issues too that I won't get into here. But it's easy to see why Walmart grocery is losing market share to Aldi and the other stores.
Walmart Supercenter #5264 could have issues with price integrity and department/work group management. I hope its issues are limited to that specific store.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Lucky's sounds nice! Is it as expensive as say Fresh Market? Which plaza is it going into, is this the one where Publix is? I will look forward to checking it out.
It's going into the former Dillard's location at Westfield Southgate mall in Sarasota near 41/Bee Ridge.

It's supposed to have good prices - not too high but not a discount store(like Aldi) either.

I haven't been there but read some reviews.

Sarasota Herald Tribune did an article about it within the past few weeks. They sell wine and beer(and coffee, etc) in cups and give shoppers a cup holder for their cart so they can sip n' shop.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:10 PM

137 posts, read 194,181 times
Default Wishful thinking

Wish we had Wegmans in Florida. Consistently voted one of the top companies to work for year after year and produce, meats, bakery and groceries unmatchable by others.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:27 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer47 View Post
Wish we had Wegmans in Florida. Consistently voted one of the top companies to work for year after year and produce, meats, bakery and groceries unmatchable by others.
I. Love. Wegmans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area