Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:58 AM

7 posts, read 18,392 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring this spring and want to move my Italian wife and our 19 year old son from here in Bologna,Italy to the Sarasota area.Their number one priority is that the area should be safe. I had considered Venice, just on the strength of the crime statistics, but I really like the Sarasota area and think there will be more in the way of both cultural amenities as well as job opportunities.
We plan on renting for a year to be sure the match is right, then we would budget $200 - 300K for a 2BD 2 BA , preferably townhouse. Ideally we'd like to find an area where one can find a local store when you need a quart of milk or a dozen eggs, and decent restaurants within walking distance.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 12:28 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
It's unclear as to whether you are asking about places to consider for purchase or for rent. If you are asking for recommendations for a rental location, what is your rental budget?

Old 01-07-2017, 10:25 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
There are basically two kinds of "sarasota"- - the old Sarasota and the new one.

The new one is massive projects where it is unlikely that you can walk to multiple eateries - it is based on large strip centers and malls.

The older one is where you didn't have to drive so far - and could even walk or bike - to many places.

I'd suggest you consider the area south of downtown and east of 41 - it contains neighborhoods like paver park, altavista, arlington park, southgate and gulfgate. If you head a bit further west you get toward the Amish and Menonite areas like Pinecraft (and other neighborhoods - some unnamed - around there).

To my knowledge, these are all very safe areas...but the real estate and other maps will show you various shades and statistics which indicate recent crimes.

If you were going to go out further east - well, then, you really lose the benefit of being in Sarasota and might as well keep looking at Venice.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:17 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
There is also the Gulf Gate area further south where there are lots of little restaurants and shops, bakeries, etc. Not sure of the price range, Sarasota has really climbed in price the last few years.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:19 PM

461 posts, read 554,711 times
If the area loses some people, definitely. I would like to have truly nice or intellectual type migrants but you're going to find that it will be jammed and changing badly not too long after you come. I wish I could just get a lot of others out of here and replace them with those that are of your profile and young non yuppy singles like me.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:57 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
having visited boolgna last year on our first trip to italy, makes me wish we could swap homes. Any particular reason you would not retire in italy?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:04 PM

My plan is to stay the first month, maybe a bit less in a vacation rental just to get our bearings. Then we'd like to find a rental, hopefully a townhouse or top floor apartment for around $1500/month. We'd rent for a year and then buy if we like the area enough. Sound feasibile?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:07 PM

We should have talked before we sold our house! My son finished high school this past year and there's really not much future here for him. That's the main reason for returning to the US.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:09 PM

Old 01-20-2017, 01:10 PM

Thanks much for a useful reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area