U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 PM

7,484 posts, read 18,436,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danestar1 View Post
Hello Everyone,we are New comers, My name is Taylor, My husband and I have been planning to move to Sarasota Fl, or Ellenton Fl,for a couple years but got serious about it in the last month,we are singer songwriters,we already have lots of bookings for us we do rock/blues Americana music we write and produce and sing our own original music,,
My main concern is for our high school son,DOSE ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HIGH SCHOOLS ARE LIKE? ARE THERE Gang problems,are these areas good for teens venturing out into the world are they free to explore there world and grow?
What areas are safe,what are not?
And what about sports for teens? or school of the arts, my son is a straight A student, who is very talented,violinist,DJ, and Archery,bass ball and football,Thank you for any information.
Hi Taylor,

That's interesting. You have bookings in the local area? You might want to get in touch with a well known lady in the area named Twinkle. She plays with Dickey Betts from the Allman Brothers on occasion and some other local musicians. She's very nice and I'm sure she could point you in the right direction if you want to play locally. She also play the same genre.

I grew up in the area and went to many of the local schools and so did/do my kids. My parents both graduated from Manatee High in Bradenton. I think it's like most areas, you're going to have your good kids and bad kids. Most of the local school have football and baseball teams that your son could join. Sarasota does have a pretty neat archery club that he might want to look into: Sarasota Archers I'm not sure if you're looking for a violin teacher but you might want to check out Cynthia: Sarasota Violin Academy - Welcome! or Sarasota Music Academy - Sarasota Music Lessons - Violin - Viola - Piano - Clarinet - Cello - Bass

I would suggest comparing Riverview High with Sarasota High. If you're looking in the Manatee county area then you might want to consider Lakewood Ranch High.

Good luck with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 04:43 PM

35 posts, read 26,844 times
I came to winter in Ellenton. There are some things you cannot get or do here.

The transit system is the pitts. Buses do not run to schedule. It requires taking 3 and up to 2-3 hours to get where you could 20 minutes away by car. Forget going to the beach this way.

Manatee County is on both sides of the river. Basically, one bus runs on the north side parallel to it, and brings you to a transfer station in Palmetto. The bus does not run on Sunday or much after 7 pm. There is a free bus to the beach on the other side of the river on Sunday, but you can't get to the other side. Crossing Rt. 301, even using the crosswalk button, is like taking your life in your hands.

Also, all of the services are on to south side of the river. If you do not have a car, you are doomed. Same for getting medical care. The Paratransit will not cross into Sarasota County. They will take you out to the airport, then you can get one of Sarasota's and double back. Who wants to get to a doctor or procedure after a 3 hour ride all stressed out?

There are a number of 55+ communities. The good ones have vans to go shopping, etc. but you need to be an early bird to make use of them. Some locals don't seem to like the snowbirds. Ironically, they were snowbirds for 30+years until they retired down here.

Publix is basically the only supermarket in the area. Some of their prices are high and the meat selection is next to nothing and $$$.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:52 PM

251 posts, read 260,002 times
Do not plan to come to Florida and rely on public transportation.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:20 PM

707 posts, read 645,625 times
SoFLGal, whats wrong with Booker HS? Just curious.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 AM

7,484 posts, read 18,436,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
SoFLGal, whats wrong with Booker HS? Just curious.
When I went there, it was pretty rough--to put it bluntly. Lots of fights, drugs, etc. Now this was many moons ago but that was my personal experience. They do have an excellent arts and theater program, which was why I attended but my parents ultimately decided that that didn't outweigh the distractions at the school.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:56 AM

4 posts, read 693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedonwater View Post
I just returned from Florida after spending 3 weeks trying to find a community to move to. My Realtor said NO WAY to Ellenton. Ellenton is to close to Palmetto, that is bad! I drove through it and it seemed a little depressed but not as bad as the Realtor said. Why not North Port, it's very affordable. I personally chose St Petersburg to purchase a home. Good Luck!
This is an old thread, but ill try anyways. My family is relocating from Chicago and are coming down to look at places in 2 wks. Any recommendations on areas that are affordable, good schools etc? Any recommendations on apt communities? Hope you respond! Thanks! Laura

Old 07-28-2017, 11:28 PM

510 posts, read 607,760 times
Start a new thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area