Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:11 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmerthy View Post
Hi all. Not sure where to start with this post. I've searched these boards over the last few years, have asked questions, and even found another forum website which always recommends I come back here, to C-D specifically, to ask questions (more info here than there). And through all our research, we always come back to Sarasota as the place on the Gulf we would want to raise our family (Tampa/St.Pete a close second).

I've read Sarasota has been taken off some lists because of its increased crime rate. I mean, I realize, and always knew, it wasn't the greatest, and obviously way higher than where we live now in the Midwest. We've been focusing on areas close to the water from Sarasota south to maybe Naples. My husband would work from home, so we are very flexible as to where we can live, but office would be in Tampa/St. Pete. I have plugged in every address we've even thought about into crime mapping.com, and the sex offenders registry. Oye. So, again, our move will be based on what's best for our kids (as it should be). Even after years of researching, and us keep coming back to Sarasota, we are starting to consider moves to other states...this is SO hard for me as I have been dead set on moving to the Sarasota area.

Without sounding snotty, for lack of a better word, I guess my question is, is there an upscale, custom neighborhood, with sidewalks, families (yes, I know, chase school buses, look for basketball hoops...we will be there again at the end of March when I'm pretty sure it's Spring Break for lots of schools, not too many buses to chase, but we will try again). At this point, I really wont care if it's in a gated neighborhood or not. And anywhere, from Clearwater Beach south to Naples, we are open! We need a lot, or a tear down. No to Turtle Rock, or Prestancia, anything else? Nokomis/North Port my husband said would be too far (but I'm still open to suggestions!) We've looked at Lakewood Ranch, we LOVE Bird Key, it's #1 on our list, but there are literally NO families with kids (please someone correct me if I'm wrong). I love Granada too, but my husband thinks it's "too dark" if that helps any :roll eyes: also love the San Remo feel. And I'm from North Carolina, born and raised, yes, it's fabulous, I know this, but we really want to be where we want to retire (within 20 years), and that's the Gulf Coast, Sarasota area specifically.

Any places I've missed?? Like I said, we will be there the end of March, 3rd year in a row, with lots of visits in between. We will be driving, and driving some more looking for neighborhoods. I don't want to X Sarasota off the list!! We will rent before/while we build, schools are not a priority.

Apologies for the longest post ever. You all have been so helpful over the years!
WHATTTT on earth does THAT mean??? It sure doesn't sound good. I hope you will clarify.

You can't make a decision based on crime statistics, they are so totally misleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 08:51 PM

147 posts, read 173,586 times
MIKEPOTE, thank you, and you too! We're in Frankfort, so not far from you at all. Good idea on renting a house, but we will just drive through and ask the people we see, as we usually do, and check for the kiddos and basketball hoops lol

Margita, we want to build and there are no lots available, it's also too far inland for us, we'd like to stay West of the Trail. And thank you, I'll check into Mission Estates!

Avalon08, I was SOO happy to read everyone's comments about the crime statistics, this seriously lifted a heavy weight off our shoulders, it was never there during my last few yeas of research, but came up in the last couple months and I freaked! As to the bolded part of my OP, Granada is dark, lots of lush greenery, woods, which I love, but my husband doesn't like all that (crazy). Coming from IL where our home now literally has maybe 8 trees in the yard. I'm from NC where the pines are tall and widespread, my husband, definitely not used to lots of trees where he grew up in IL. I sound silly typing that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area