Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 PM

695 posts, read 997,190 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at the FL DMV website, which has a link to a checklist of which documents are required for getting a new DL in FL. Very useful site.

My question is whether anyone has had any issues with "middle names" on any of the required documents. For example, in my case, my current passport shows the full name using the maiden name as the middle name, which I have done for 25 years
(Jane Doe Smith, for example).

However, on my SS card, which I got after the marriage, I only used the middle initial for the maiden name
(used as middle name) (Jane D Smith).

Every other document I have would show the Jane D Smith, on leases, credit cards, insurance docs, car title, etc.

I wonder if the SS card not spelling out the full maiden name as middle name would be a problem, since the passport spells out the maiden name as the middle name.

Has anyone coming from out of state run into difficulties with documents at the DMV?

The other question I have is the order of events for car stuff when moving to FL, since one document showing the FL address can be car insurance.

So, in FL, you have to get the driver's license before you can register a car, but I'd like to use the new FL insurance as one (of two) proofs of residency.

Step #1 - Get FL insurance on car (but don't cancel other car insurance from out of state, since car is not yet registered in FL)

Step #2 - Get driver's license (use FL car ins as one document showing residency)

Step #3 - Get inspection and VIN verification

Step #4 - Register car and get new title (if no car loan)

Step #5 - Cancel out of state car insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 09:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
They will use your name exactly the way it is on the SS card.

I had to change my passport to appear exactly how my SS card is.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:16 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,387 times
there is no inspection in florida. You can use a utility bill as proof of residence. I don't believe they require a plate number to get insurance. Just the vin number.
it's not complicated. Just call your insurance company to coordinate changes of address and coverage.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:59 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
You will need two pieces of mail (utility bill, etc) from your current address, SS card and old drivers license. Takes about 30 minutes.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
They will use your name exactly the way it is on the SS card.

I had to change my passport to appear exactly how my SS card is.
Good to know the FL DMV will use the SS card name for the DL.

Did you have to change your passport (expensive process!) because the DMV rejected it when you went to get your FL driver's license, or was it for a different reason. In any case, I would have thought that the process would work in reverse, that you would have to change your SS card to match the passport.

My passports over the years have always shown my maiden name spelled out for 25+ years, but my SS card only shows middle initial for maiden name. I obtained the SS card 25 years ago and had it changed to the married last name, and they used the middle initial for the maiden name.

Last edited by olderandwiser456; 03-11-2017 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-11-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
You will need two pieces of mail (utility bill, etc) from your current address, SS card and old drivers license. Takes about 30 minutes.

So, you didn't need a passport or birth certificate?

Interesting, since the website I was using indicated a new FL driver's license required the following documents:

1. One document showing citizenship (passport or birth certificate, or citizenship card)
2. Social Security card
3. 2 proofs of residential address (lease, utility bill, etc)

Maybe there are differences between DMV offices.

Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Your FloridaCard Checklist

Old 03-11-2017, 12:23 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
You need a birth certificate. I had to get a copy of mine when I renewed several years ago. I also had to provide my marriage license which I also had to get a copy of.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:32 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,531,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
So, you didn't need a passport or birth certificate?

Interesting, since the website I was using indicated a new FL driver's license required the following documents:

1. One document showing citizenship (passport or birth certificate, or citizenship card)
2. Social Security card
3. 2 proofs of residential address (lease, utility bill, etc)

Maybe there are differences between DMV offices.

Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Your FloridaCard Checklist
The rules were changed back in 2010 for all DMV offices in FL. If you are coming from a state that is not Real ID Compliant or have not renewed your FL drivers license since the changes went into effect, then you have to provide specific documentation to get a FL drivers license. Birth certificates, marriage licenses have to be certified copies from the clerk of courts. Plus you'll need to provide proof of residency per the list of options you can bring in.

The FL DMV has a website providing all of the information at: Florida Drivers License Identification Requirements

Old 03-11-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
The rules were changed back in 2010 for all DMV offices in FL. If you are coming from a state that is not Real ID Compliant or have not renewed your FL drivers license since the changes went into effect, then you have to provide specific documentation to get a FL drivers license. Birth certificates, marriage licenses have to be certified copies from the clerk of courts. Plus you'll need to provide proof of residency per the list of options you can bring in.

The FL DMV has a website providing all of the information at: Florida Drivers License Identification Requirements
Thanks for the info. Michigan issues "enhanced" driver's licenses that require a passport to obtain. I went ahead and got one for convenience crossing into Canada (an hour away). The enhanced DLs issued by a few border states (MI, MN, etc) meet the RealID requirements.

I think my question is about the middle initial for my maiden name that appears on my social security card and my enhanced driver's license (Jane D Smith).

My passport spells out my maiden name (Jane Doe Smith).

Do I need a new SS card with the maiden name spelled out, even though I have a current passport with the enhanced security features showing the maiden name spelled out?

Looking at the link above, which is very thorough, the passport or birth certificate is the main "identity" document, and the
then site also states:

"The name assigned to the social security number must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license or identification card."

This particular website doesn't mention the issue of "middle names being spelled out" or the use of middle initials on social security cards.

So, I might be ok with the maiden name spelled out on the current (and new) passport, but the original SS card shows the middle initial for the middle name, as does my enhanced driver's license from Michigan.

Last edited by olderandwiser456; 03-11-2017 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area