Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:54 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,080,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
Perhaps the OP's post is ridiculous about Heron Creek. Lots of residents of Heron Creek might not be able to translate what 'homosexual friendly" means. I'm not sure why someone would think that a neighbor would be 'harassed' because of their having their own sexual proclivities, unless they are somehow disturbing the peace and quiet enjoyment of the neighborhood. Most neighbors in Heron Creek are not compelled to "accept" anything, and especially some one else's sexual appetites. They may, or may not be "welcomed" for a variety of legitimate reasons. Just because a neighbor is a homosexual, it doesn't make them desirable or even good neighbors, or even decent human beings. They might be criminals or even low-lifes (just like anybody else moving in). Assuming that everyone is "welcomed" is a foolish assumption and attitude - whether a new neighbor is heterosexual or homosexual. I don't know why Heron Creek or any other community have to be, or should be 'homosexual FRIENDLY'. Neighbors have their own standards and attitudes, and entitled to live as they wish. Respect should be mutual. No one should capitulate their own values for fear of retribution. Similarly no neighbor should be 'harassed'. Also no one should be expected to automatically embrace aspects of life that may conflict with their own morals, values or faith. That would be unreasonable as well. Just leave people alone, and mind your own business. It may be a harsh reality, neighbors are not obliged to be 'homosexual friendly' - whatever that means and/or connotes.....or for that matter "dog or cat friendly"
It all sounds very good but reality is that there are many places still in our country where a gay couple will not be welcomed just because of the fact that they are gay. NO one wants to live in a place where most of their neighbors will behave in such a way. It has nothing do with being acceptive or supportive of their lifestyle it has more to do whether you will be judged as wether you are a good human being, neighbor and not solely judged by who you love or married.
So I guess probably his question should had been would being a gay couple be the major factor on how most of the neighbors would view them or interact with them.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:08 AM

226 posts, read 245,440 times
I can't answer for all of the residents and homeowners of Heron Creek (or any other local community). I don't know what "their neighbors will BEHAVE in SUCH a way" means....what overt acts would be determinate 'behavior' of the neighbors toward a homosexual couple would constitute not being "welcoming" ? Ignoring them? Leaving them alone? Allowing them to live in peace? Welcoming deeds/attitudes vary with culture, family, custom, religion, education, values, and a host of other variable and metrics.

Let's be real and frank. Most neighbors tend to judge each other. It's part of the human condition and experiment. It goes along with the territory of being a normal human being. Being a normal human being is even 'judged' as to how 'normal' we are. Everyone uses some kind of yardstick - implied or stated explicitly. That may be fair or unfair, but it is quite real in a moral and just society. If a neighbor holds and adheres to certain values, mores or faith that runs contrary to another neighbor's choices, lifestyle or moral foundation, that neighbor is under no obligation to endorse or even like the other neighbor. Neighbors aren't mandated to like, or agree with each other (not a novel concept). Neighbors should however be civil towards each other. Period. It's a housing development, not a fraternity of people that must affirm some common creed. Neighbors will differ.

Some neighbors might in fact believe (based on their own principals, faith, morals, values, etc), that homosexual "friendly", might not extend to the supposition of not judging homosexuality in toto, or to homosexual marriage within a community. That certainly would not be unusual for this assessment perhaps to be made by some. So What? Others within the community might even truly believe that homosexuality is un-natural, and ill-fitting with their own sense of community values or social construct. Again, this too would not be unusual. That's life, whether we like it or not. Different neighbors have different values. Neighborhood are made up with a bunch of individual strangers for the most part.

It's possible also that some neighbors may not wish to associate on a 'homosexual friendly' or personal level. So What? Everyone has freedom of association within Heron Creek or any other housing development. Some people may not wish to associate with neighbors who smoke cigars, or who are atheists or devil-worshippers.

Being 'homosexual friendly' (whatever that means) shouldn't connote that other neighbors leave their own set of morals or faith, at the gate upon entering the subdivision. No neighbor is required or expected to be 'buddy-buddy' with anyone else. Civil, yes.

Most normal heterosexuals aren't preoccupied with validating anyone else's sexual proclivities, and aren't paranoid about acceptance in any community...but the OP's question begs the issue in the first place.

Let's also be real. It's hardly the same social, community and sexual dynamic if a male and a female engage in sexual behavior, and become married and have children - and two women that engage in sexual behavior, become "married" then have a child by one of the women, fathered by a third male party. One would have to be quite dumb to think that various and divergent 'judgments' would not be made by a few neighbors. To pretend that they should not have the freedom to 'judge' seems to be pure idiocy or naiveté about the human condition.

Allow me to give you an example of real life. If I were a Jew (and I am), (or a Moslem and even a Christian) I would share with you that our faith instructs and maintains that homosexual conduct is a huge sin before God, I'm not likely
to alter my faith to accommodate my neighbor next door in his assertion that his homosexual behavior is simply another brand of love and marriage. I'm likely to let him live in peace and unmolested. It doesn't mean that I must be 'welcoming' at all. It means that I must remain civil. My neighbor makes his own choices, and so do I. Some neighbors know that smoking cigarettes will result in getting cancer, yet I see them engage in this activity each day, every day. I simply avoid the smoke, and them...civilly.

Last edited by techie_g; 04-10-2017 at 11:27 AM..

Old 04-10-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
I can't answer for all of the residents and homeowners of Heron Creek (or any other local community). I don't know what "their neighbors will BEHAVE in SUCH a way" means....what overt acts would be determinate 'behavior' of the neighbors toward a homosexual couple would constitute not being "welcoming" ? Ignoring them? Leaving them alone? Allowing them to live in peace? Welcoming deeds/attitudes vary with culture, family, custom, religion, education, values, and a host of other variable and metrics.

Let's be real and frank. Most neighbors tend to judge each other. It's part of the human condition and experiment. It goes along with the territory of being a normal human being. Being a normal human being is even 'judged' as to how 'normal' we are. Everyone uses some kind of yardstick - implied or stated explicitly. That may be fair or unfair, but it is quite real in a moral and just society. If a neighbor holds and adheres to certain values, mores or faith that runs contrary to another neighbor's choices, lifestyle or moral foundation, that neighbor is under no obligation to endorse or even like the other neighbor. Neighbors aren't mandated to like, or agree with each other (not a novel concept). Neighbors should however be civil towards each other. Period. It's a housing development, not a fraternity of people that must affirm some common creed. Neighbors will differ.

Some neighbors might in fact believe (based on their own principals, faith, morals, values, etc), that homosexual "friendly", might not extend to the supposition of not judging homosexuality in toto, or to homosexual marriage within a community. That certainly would not be unusual for this assessment perhaps to be made by some. So What? Others within the community might even truly believe that homosexuality is un-natural, and ill-fitting with their own sense of community values or social construct. Again, this too would not be unusual. That's life, whether we like it or not. Different neighbors have different values. Neighborhood are made up with a bunch of individual strangers for the most part.

It's possible also that some neighbors may not wish to associate on a 'homosexual friendly' or personal level. So What? Everyone has freedom of association within Heron Creek or any other housing development. Some people may not wish to associate with neighbors who smoke cigars, or who are atheists or devil-worshippers.

Being 'homosexual friendly' (whatever that means) shouldn't connote that other neighbors leave their own set of morals or faith, at the gate upon entering the subdivision. No neighbor is required or expected to be 'buddy-buddy' with anyone else. Civil, yes.

Most normal heterosexuals aren't preoccupied with validating anyone else's sexual proclivities, and aren't paranoid about acceptance in any community...but the OP's question begs the issue in the first place.

Let's also be real. It's hardly the same social, community and sexual dynamic if a male and a female engage in sexual behavior, and become married and have children - and two women that engage in sexual behavior, become "married" then have a child by one of the women, fathered by a third male party. One would have to be quite dumb to think that various and divergent 'judgments' would not be made by a few neighbors. To pretend that they should not have the freedom to 'judge' seems to be pure idiocy or naiveté about the human condition.

Allow me to give you an example of real life. If I were a Jew (and I am), (or a Moslem and even a Christian) I would share with you that our faith instructs and maintains that homosexual conduct is a huge sin before God, I'm not likely
to alter my faith to accommodate my neighbor next door in his assertion that his homosexual behavior is simply another brand of love and marriage. I'm likely to let him live in peace and unmolested. It doesn't mean that I must be 'welcoming' at all. It means that I must remain civil. My neighbor makes his own choices, and so do I. Some neighbors know that smoking cigarettes will result in getting cancer, yet I see them engage in this activity each day, every day. I simply avoid the smoke, and them...civilly.
And I believe that civility is all he was referring to when he asked the question. No one is expecting anyone to change their beliefs. If you think it's against your religious beliefs fine and dandy. But I believe " gay friendly" means you are not then going to to force those beliefs on them just as you wouldn't expect their beliefs being forced on you.
We can all be civil with each other and treat each other with respect and judge each other by whether you are a good neighbor and human being.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Once again. Believe whatever you want to believe. I think what the OP was asking was wether they would as a gay couple live their lives in an area where most would not harass them, or isolate them from the community for that.

Plain and simple no one is asking for everyone to accept their life style or support it.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:21 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,832,233 times
I tend to agree, Beach Sportsfan. If that is what he means, then he is asking whether people at Heron Creek are just plain good people, as anyone who would harass or isolate them for being gay is just rude. Since we don't know their hearts, we can't say whether the Heron Creek residents are good or bad. By the way, where is the OP? No comments yet.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:31 PM

390 posts, read 604,259 times
Waiting for techie to stop talking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
By the way, where is the OP? No comments yet.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:59 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,005,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Some of these posts are ridiculous.
You want to know what they probably mean by " gay friendly" most likely it means that they won't be harassed by their neighbors or alianated from the community just because of them being gay.
They are not asking for a gay parade, nor are they asking for your acceptance of their lives. They are asking will they be treated cordially and welcome to the community as others would be.
Then let's cancel the gay parades.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Once again. Believe whatever you want to believe. I think what the OP was asking was wether they would as a gay couple live their lives in an area where most would not harass them, or isolate them from the community for that.

Plain and simple no one is asking for everyone to accept their life style or support it.

Newcomer here !!. How the heck do you know the true motive of what the OP was asking?? Btw life style isn't congruent with just a variant of moral behavior. Criminal lifestyle is not exactly moral. You can't separate lifestyle and exclude morality it seems to me. Homosexuals and their supporters have a bad habit of reducing abnormal sexual behavior to simply an alternate lifestyle, which is inaccurate and misleading, therefore just another lie Some people may truly believe that homosexual behavior is truly abnormal and thus should be shunned. It seems to me, an argument could be made in that vein, contrary to what pop culture underwrites, supports or promotes. Homosexuality has been intentionally promoted as mainstream/normal for the last 15 years or so, on the web, on television, in the print media, on the big screen, in universities, in the arts, and even in grammar school textbooks in CA and other sections of the US. No one has to accept or endorse homosexuality as normal or de rigueur. I guess some people will fo out of their way to defend immorality AND homosexuality

I guess we shouldn't be surprised about apologists for homosexuals in a community, just look at how the Catholic Church defended, and hid perverts. It's understandable why a community might be untrusting, standoff-ish, avoiding, and circumspect. Just look at the homosexual perverts than have been prosecuted within public and private school systems here in Florida. No one is lying about these occurrences, lawsuits and trauma to young people.

For some, disdain or wariness about and for homosexuals in a specific community might be justified. I know little about the community of Heron Creek. Ignoring real history and real events is stupid, and dangerous. The Catholic Church, of ALL places harbored, supported and endorsed freaks. That is undeniable. Freaks, perverts and criminals actually do live in nice neighborhoods ya know....and maybe next door to you !

Most people that are rational, know that immoral and illegal conduct can occur in the Catholic Church in multiple locations over a continuum, any other community or subdivision is certainly not immune from such activity and homosexual, perhaps threatening behavior to its residents, including children.

Last edited by BobbyBabb; 04-10-2017 at 06:34 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
Then let's cancel the gay parades.
So that's what's bothering you LMAO

Why don't we just cancel every parade for that matter.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBabb View Post
Newcomer here !!. How the heck do you know the true motive of what the OP was asking?? Btw life style isn't congruent with just a variant of moral behavior. Criminal lifestyle is not exactly moral. You can't separate lifestyle and exclude morality it seems to me. Homosexuals and their supporters have a bad habit of reducing abnormal sexual behavior to simply an alternate lifestyle, which is inaccurate and misleading, therefore just another lie Some people may truly believe that homosexual behavior is truly abnormal and thus should be shunned. It seems to me, an argument could be made in that vein, contrary to what pop culture underwrites, supports or promotes. Homosexuality has been intentionally promoted as mainstream/normal for the last 15 years or so, on the web, on television, in the print media, on the big screen, in universities, in the arts, and even in grammar school textbooks in CA and other sections of the US. No one has to accept or endorse homosexuality as normal or de rigueur. I guess some people will fo out of their way to defend immorality AND homosexuality

I guess we shouldn't be surprised about apologists for homosexuals in a community, just look at how the Catholic Church defended, and hid perverts. It's understandable why a community might be untrusting, standoff-ish, avoiding, and circumspect. Just look at the homosexual perverts than have been prosecuted within public and private school systems here in Florida. No one is lying about these occurrences, lawsuits and trauma to young people.

For some, disdain or wariness about and for homosexuals in a specific community might be justified. I know little about the community of Heron Creek. Ignoring real history and real events is stupid, and dangerous. The Catholic Church, of ALL places harbored, supported and endorsed freaks. That is undeniable. Freaks, perverts and criminals actually do live in nice neighborhoods ya know....and maybe next door to you !

Most people that are rational, know that immoral and illegal conduct can occur in the Catholic Church in multiple locations over a continuum, any other community or subdivision is certainly not immune from such activity and homosexual, perhaps threatening behavior to its residents, including children.
Wow. So you think that there aren't any heterosexuals that are pervert, criminals and killers? To try to pain all homosexuals as such would be the same as painting all heterosexuals as the same.

We are all human beings there are good ones and bad ones regardless of your sexual orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area