Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 06:29 PM

45 posts, read 165,939 times

Advertisements

We are reluctant, out-of-state landlords of a small home in Bradenton (just off 41, just N of the airport). Bought it for our daughter in '03, then got schnockered by the downturn. She moved north long ago and we've been holding on, renting it out, barely making the payment, dealing with bad tenants/angry neighbors from a distance, etc. We've had a great property manager for the past year who has relieved much stress.

He just called tho, and our good tenants are moving out TOMORROW (breaking lease). PM says he can rent it quickly, but we're wondering if this might be the time to SELL. It's a cute little house (2B/1B) PLUS a mother-in-law house in the back (1B/1B).

I know the rental market is hot, but how is the real estate market for little, vintage (1949) houses in nice neighborhoods? Everything I see online is big and fancy, OR falling down. Also it's near impossible to find comps for a house like ours (actually two small houses).

Rent it for another year? Get out now? Any wisdom...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:46 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,475,837 times
Well - I do think we are in a inflated bubble here and its good to sell high - which is now - but - every year more and more baby boomers are retiring and moving to Florida - there will be people that cant afford the big fancy houses and people just love cute little "old Florida" vintage - I know I do

Old 03-31-2017, 06:57 PM

809 posts, read 742,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whithill View Post
We are reluctant, out-of-state landlords of a small home in Bradenton

Rent it for another year? Get out now? Any wisdom...
Oh for goodness sakes, price it and put it up for sale. I'm moving from Tampa to Sarasota, and there is no way I'll rent out my lakefront condo. I'll sell it because I don't need the stress of being a landlord. Obviously, you can deal with that stress, so if you don't get your price, you can continue to rent it out.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:16 PM

4,584 posts, read 7,465,733 times
Odds are your property manager either has a real estate license or someone in their office does. Ask them to put together some comps (even if it's not standard construction for the neighborhoods, there should be at least 2 or 3 properties within a couple of miles that can be used for comparison purposes) and then decide if it's worth selling now or rolling the dice for another year.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:08 PM

45 posts, read 165,939 times
Thanks for your input. Just talked to the property manager. He's, also a realtor. He's putting it up for sale tomorrow. Boom.

I'm so over being a long-distance landlord. If it doesn't sell quickly, we'll just rent another year...
:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area