Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 07:28 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,910 times

Advertisements

Hubbie and I are in our early 60's and want to retire in Florida from upstate NY, due to health issues (chronic pain, otherwise we are very healthy). We were considering Dunedin/ Clearwater but sinkhole alley scares the you know what out of us. How is the sinkhole issue in Sarasota? We know sinkholes can be anywhere in Florida, but at least we can find a place that has fewer.

We'd like a place that has:
*a large variety of shopping in real stores (not just boutiques and gift shops)
*a health food store, also Trader Joes, whole foods, if possible- we are on special diets that are gluten free/ paleo/ anti-inflammatory
*a good place to get fresh fruits and veggies since we don't eat processed or fast food
*good doctors/ medical care
*housing under $200K (the more under the better) It has to be a house- condos don't allow 6 dogs
*a walkable city that's safe to walk in
*a cheaper/ lower COL
*dog friendly (we have 6, but 2 are already on special diets for kidney failure/ disease-1 of which is 16 yrs old, the other 10 but a giant breed)
*things to see and places to go/ things to do
*a variety of great restaurants, including the "cheap local diner" kind
* safe enough where I don't need to live in a bunker (we are use too leaving doors unlocked and keys in cars unless we go to large cities) I know I can't do that in Florida, but still......

We live rural now and traveling miles and miles to get anything is getting old real fast, so we want more of a city life now.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated- the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 07:56 AM

390 posts, read 609,091 times
My two cents.

*a large variety of shopping in real stores (not just boutiques and gift shops) Sarasota

*a health food store, also Trader Joes, whole foods, if possible- we are on special diets that are gluten free/ paleo/ anti-inflammatory
Sarasota

*a good place to get fresh fruits and veggies since we don't eat processed or fast food
*good doctors/ medical care Sarasota

*housing under $200K (the more under the better) It has to be a house- condos don't allow 6 dog Not Sarasota

*a walkable city that's safe to walk in Sarasota

*a cheaper/ lower COL Not Sarasota

*dog friendly (we have 6, but 2 are already on special diets for kidney failure/ disease-1 of which is 16 yrs old, the other 10 but a giant breed) Sarasota

*things to see and places to go/ things to do Sarasota

Sarasota

* safe enough where I don't need to live in a bunker (we are use too leaving doors unlocked and keys in cars unless we go to large cities) I know I can't do that in Florida, but still......Safe is subjective

Sinkholes not an issue in Sarasota.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 AM

BTW- we are very liberal. I heard that Sarasota isn't. We get along with everyone but that doesn't mean everyone will get along with us. Any thoughts?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:16 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,992 times
this liberal vs. conservative idea is such bunk. Just don't discuss it. If it doesn't affect you, you have to let it go. you got enough things to worry about.
Sarasota is not the place to come to if you're looking to spend less than $200,000 (way under), unless you are willing to live in the more outlying areas, unincorporated, non-hoa environment. However, since you say you are used to living in the country, that might work for you. Then again, I think the budget is unreasonable.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
this liberal vs. conservative idea is such bunk. Just don't discuss it. If it doesn't affect you, you have to let it go. you got enough things to worry about.
Sarasota is not the place to come to if you're looking to spend less than $200,000 (way under), unless you are willing to live in the more outlying areas, unincorporated, non-hoa environment. However, since you say you are used to living in the country, that might work for you. Then again, I think the budget is unreasonable.
We also think the political stuff is junk unless we see outright racism (or other -isms) Our best friends are very conservative- and we do thing together all the time.

But yes we want cheap in a nice area- nothing fancy or big but area is important.

We are moving out of the country because it is getting too much to travel for everything. 2 hrs for our doctor or vet (180 miles RT), 25 miles (RT) to our only supermarket, 60 miles RT for a retail store, Hubbie's job (for 38 yrs) is 110 miles RT, 5 days a week, etc. Too old for this now.

So if Sarasota is too expensive then we will look elsewhere. Thanks for responding.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:18 AM

547 posts, read 926,739 times
I feel like we have all of those things. We live in the City of Sarasota. (I feel the city offers some small advantages).
We live in a modest home, fenced back yard for the dog and grand dogs. We can walk to a fruit and veggie stand, and walk safely around the neighborhood. Less than 10 minutes from 2 hospitals,our MD's, Publix, and downtown. Restaurants,beaches, and shopping are close enough.
Now you won't get the fanciest house, but you can find everything on your list

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Hubbie and I are in our early 60's and want to retire in Florida from upstate NY, due to health issues (chronic pain, otherwise we are very healthy). We were considering Dunedin/ Clearwater but sinkhole alley scares the you know what out of us. How is the sinkhole issue in Sarasota? We know sinkholes can be anywhere in Florida, but at least we can find a place that has fewer.

*a large variety of shopping in real stores (not just boutiques and gift shops)
*good doctors/ medical care
*housing under $200K (the more under the better) It has to be a house- condos don't allow 6 dogs
*a walkable city that's safe to walk in
*a cheaper/ lower COL
*dog friendly (we have 6, but 2 are already on special diets for kidney failure/ disease-1 of which is 16 yrs old, the other 10 but a giant breed)
*things to see and places to go/ things to do
* safe enough where I don't need to live in a bunker (we are use too leaving doors unlocked and keys in cars unless we go to large cities) I know I can't do that in Florida, but still......

We live rural now and traveling miles and miles to get anything is getting old real fast, so we want more of a city life now.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated- the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:55 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Sarasota definitely ticks all your boxes, but real estate is high here. If you are willing to go further out and/or don't mind a smaller older house away from town you might find something in your budget. We have every kind of food store and restaurant option you can imagine. More than cities several times its size.

As for politics, etc., this place is pretty much live-and-let-live for the most part.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:08 PM

6 posts, read 8,663 times
I just wanted to mention that Sarasota seems to have a lot to offer those following a paleo/gluten free diet. My mom follows this diet and she is often going to get-togethers with her paleo meetup group. There is also a raw food meetup. There is a newer restaurant called Paleo Connection on Lockwood Ridge. There is the Island gluten-free bakery, there is Fit Fuel, with locations by downtown and in Lakewood Ranch that has to-go gluten free meals. I think Fresh Kitchen by UTC, which is Paleo friendly and uses hormone & antibiotic free grilled meats, and fresh cold-pressed juices. I haven't been, but I'm guessing Fast N Fresh downtown and in Lakewood Ranch is similar. There is CROP raw juice bar, with several locations.

There are 4 raw food restaurants that I can think of (Ionie's, Beauty of Sprouts, Green Zebra Cafe in St. Armands Circle, and one on Siesta Key whose name escapes me. Simon's Cafe also has raw options daily. There is also Indigenous restaurant, which is more upscale and aims to use local foods from sustainable sources. Of course downtown there is Whole Foods, with another being built on University, Morton's Gourmet Market, Trader Joes, Fresh Market, Artisan Cheese Company, and As Good As It Gets for gourmet foods. There is Sarasota Farmer's Market and Phillipi Farmhouse Market. There are farm markets like Detwilers (2 locations), Jessica's Organic Farm Stand, and Fruitville Grove, complete with chickens running around.

Good Luck!

Old 04-06-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFtoSRQ View Post
I just wanted to mention that Sarasota seems to have a lot to offer those following a paleo/gluten free diet. My mom follows this diet and she is often going to get-togethers with her paleo meetup group. There is also a raw food meetup. There is a newer restaurant called Paleo Connection on Lockwood Ridge. There is the Island gluten-free bakery, there is Fit Fuel, with locations by downtown and in Lakewood Ranch that has to-go gluten free meals. I think Fresh Kitchen by UTC, which is Paleo friendly and uses hormone & antibiotic free grilled meats, and fresh cold-pressed juices. I haven't been, but I'm guessing Fast N Fresh downtown and in Lakewood Ranch is similar. There is CROP raw juice bar, with several locations.

There are 4 raw food restaurants that I can think of (Ionie's, Beauty of Sprouts, Green Zebra Cafe in St. Armands Circle, and one on Siesta Key whose name escapes me. Simon's Cafe also has raw options daily. There is also Indigenous restaurant, which is more upscale and aims to use local foods from sustainable sources. Of course downtown there is Whole Foods, with another being built on University, Morton's Gourmet Market, Trader Joes, Fresh Market, Artisan Cheese Company, and As Good As It Gets for gourmet foods. There is Sarasota Farmer's Market and Phillipi Farmhouse Market. There are farm markets like Detwilers (2 locations), Jessica's Organic Farm Stand, and Fruitville Grove, complete with chickens running around.

Good Luck!
WOW!! Sounds like Foodie heaven. LOL. I want to thank everyone for their posts. Please keep them coming.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:55 AM

226 posts, read 249,279 times
Forget Sarasota proper. I'm not trying to sell any city, but for what you describe about yourself and your expectations, there are other, much cheaper alternatives...in Florida and elsewhere.

Old hippie life is not de rigueur here in Sarasota. Housing under 200k ? forget it.

Left-wing leaning? no, not really, but it does exist in very narrow pockets.

Walkable ? no way here in SRQ.

You want 'city life' ? not really given your housing/costs contraints.

Try some bs community in Pinellas County or Pasco County. Maybe Largo, Seminole, Pinellas Park, Kenneth City.

What you seek is not pervasive in Sarasota County, but maybe northern Manatee in a few remote areas like outside Parrish, etc.

I don't think you will be well settled in Sarasota, nor adjust. Too many other cities/towns may be a bit more suitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area