Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 06:29 AM

483 posts, read 1,221,915 times

Advertisements

It seems that there is an excessive amount of traffic congestion considering the population of Manatee and Sarasota counties. I will say that I know we're coming towards the end of season so hopefully it will improve, but I've been living in the area for over 2 years now and notice it's still bad in the summer, as well.

The thing is... Manatee and Sarasota aren't that big. Something like 700k people, spread over two counties? That's not a lot. But the traffic is terrible; this is the smallest "metro area" I've lived in, and it has almost (but not) the worst traffic out of the places I've lived.

I can't be the only one that notices these two things.

1) The stop lights are screwed up, big time. When you're on a main drag; Tamiami/41, Cortez, Fruitville, University, etc., and you're sitting at a red light, the light will turn green... then right after you get up to speed, the next upcoming light goes yellow then red. This happens over and over again as you go down the street, and this is not partial to rush hour - when I drive down 41 to work at 5:45am, this happens. There's no reason that the main drag shouldn't stay green for at least several lights, especially when there's no cars on the cross street that you're stopping for. What gives?

Also, green arrows. Some intersections, the green arrow goes before the straight green. Others, it's after the straight green turns red. Sometimes the oncoming traffic has a much longer green arrow, so you find yourself sitting at a red light when traffic is proceeding in the opposite direction, even when there's nothing that would appear to justify a longer green arrow.

It just seems like whoever did the urban planning was drunk. Is there any reason why the stop lights aren't synced up properly? I feel like I'm missing some big piece of logic here. Maybe I just don't want to believe that whatever individuals originally set all this up are incompetent.

2) The roads in general, but this isn't as easily fixed as the stop light situation. The infrastructure here has not kept up with the growth, and that's very evident. You have two lane streets that get backed up for a half mile for one stop light. Turn lanes that aren't nearly as long as they need to be, so you have people speeding down the oncoming lane to make the green arrow. Where is all the infrastructure money going? I know they're doing construction on 75, and the corner of University & Cattlemen by UTC, but that's two things that I can remember off the top of my head... I'm not aware of any others. Although, I don't really "explore" Sarasota too much either.

Am I just losing my marbles here, or do others notice these things as well? Particularly the stop light situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 07:34 AM

226 posts, read 249,279 times
No you're not losing your marbles. The lights especially in sections of Manatee County are in trouble. It's however very very difficult to get it right the first, second of third time, after through reviews over time.

Second, the traffic flows and traffic patterns have definitely shifted SEVERAL times in many locations, such as Lockwood and SR 70, Lockwood at University, University at Tuttle (north AND south), University down to Market St, US301 at 10th-12th-17th-Fruitville-Main-Ringling...and I won't even discuss the disaster of US41 through downtown and southbound to Siesta.

You're not imagining anything.

Manatee is exploding in growth - Manatee is pro growth and is constantly trying to stay ahead of anticipated bottlenecks such as sr64 all the way east to Lorraine road - they're building th Ft. Hamer bridge, the new East-west multi'lane corridor of 44th ...

Manatee is proactive. Sarasota County has always been sort of "anti growth", and makes conscious attempts at lowering the vehicle count and vehicular access...by doing stupid things, or doing necessary things very very LATE. For example: the Cattlemen Road N/S extension should have been done and completed 12 years ago, Tuttle through the Meadows N/S was already approved by the County by Taylor Woodrow the developer almost 30 yrs ago, but the county was lobbied successfully to STOP the road going through for 30 yrs !!

Sarasota County builds traffic circles with inlaid pavers such as south of Fruitville on Honore all the way south
They build "boulevard medians" on Fruitville road, eliminating turning lanes from Honore to past Beneva. They build planted medians, eliminating lanes on Old Bradenton Road all the way south to Myrtle or so.

The road construction around Palmer Ranch/McIntosh, SRQ Parkway took YEARS to complete, and is still screwed up.

A lot of the bottle neck flows start in Sarasota County and 'dumps' into Manatee County.

Sarasota County and City of Sarasota are not interested in accommodating "worker bees". Manatee is. Manatee is trying its best to accommodate "workers", families, and commercial development. Sarasota County is burnishing its 'paradise' wannabe image, by RESTRICTING VEHICULAR traffic, or choking it off.

Manatee is feeling the brunt of the 'run-off', and it's falling behind.

Believe it or not, it's very difficult to find and implement a timing pattern for key areas that work for everyone.

You also have tons of people that drive irresponsibly - no where to go really, and all day to get there. Others are just clogging up the roads by poor driving habits...people from Michigan, Ohio, Canada, lookieloos going nowhere but to Wallyworld, the beach, or Publix.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:30 PM

461 posts, read 554,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
No you're not losing your marbles. The lights especially in sections of Manatee County are in trouble. It's however very very difficult to get it right the first, second of third time, after through reviews over time.

Second, the traffic flows and traffic patterns have definitely shifted SEVERAL times in many locations, such as Lockwood and SR 70, Lockwood at University, University at Tuttle (north AND south), University down to Market St, US301 at 10th-12th-17th-Fruitville-Main-Ringling...and I won't even discuss the disaster of US41 through downtown and southbound to Siesta.

You're not imagining anything.

Manatee is exploding in growth - Manatee is pro growth and is constantly trying to stay ahead of anticipated bottlenecks such as sr64 all the way east to Lorraine road - they're building th Ft. Hamer bridge, the new East-west multi'lane corridor of 44th ...

Manatee is proactive. Sarasota County has always been sort of "anti growth", and makes conscious attempts at lowering the vehicle count and vehicular access...by doing stupid things, or doing necessary things very very LATE. For example: the Cattlemen Road N/S extension should have been done and completed 12 years ago, Tuttle through the Meadows N/S was already approved by the County by Taylor Woodrow the developer almost 30 yrs ago, but the county was lobbied successfully to STOP the road going through for 30 yrs !!

Sarasota County builds traffic circles with inlaid pavers such as south of Fruitville on Honore all the way south
They build "boulevard medians" on Fruitville road, eliminating turning lanes from Honore to past Beneva. They build planted medians, eliminating lanes on Old Bradenton Road all the way south to Myrtle or so.

The road construction around Palmer Ranch/McIntosh, SRQ Parkway took YEARS to complete, and is still screwed up.

A lot of the bottle neck flows start in Sarasota County and 'dumps' into Manatee County.

Sarasota County and City of Sarasota are not interested in accommodating "worker bees". Manatee is. Manatee is trying its best to accommodate "workers", families, and commercial development. Sarasota County is burnishing its 'paradise' wannabe image, by RESTRICTING VEHICULAR traffic, or choking it off.

Manatee is feeling the brunt of the 'run-off', and it's falling behind.

Believe it or not, it's very difficult to find and implement a timing pattern for key areas that work for everyone.

You also have tons of people that drive irresponsibly - no where to go really, and all day to get there. Others are just clogging up the roads by poor driving habits...people from Michigan, Ohio, Canada, lookieloos going nowhere but to Wallyworld, the beach, or Publix.
I had a feeling that out of the 2, with the exception of Palmetto, Parrish and Ellenton, Manatee county, mostly Bradenton is pro growth as its the county seat. It is more pro growth than Sarasota. It seems thats how they put their republican vision into action vs Sarasotas where they want it to be a playground for the rich establishment democrats and republicans. Bradenton always seemed like the more down to earth, lets get to work kind of conservatives. Not that Bradenton is that great, but I really do believe they grow more than Sarasota and are pro growth. In fact as proof, a lot of University and Lakewood ranch even is on the Manatee side if I am not mistaken. Sarasota only wants to put condos in places where they deem the undesirables to be. Bradenton has undesirables also but they also arent running them all out with condo development either. Sarasota replaces a problem with a problem. Bradenton just keeps the same problem. I guess pick your poison. But yea, theres not AS BAD a vibe in Bradenton that people are closed off to anyone new or anything new. The whole area is conservative, its just Bradenton is a bit more down to earth about it and if you want friendlier people, I'd say Bradenton is where to go. Also, Bradenton also seems to be getting an influx of non rich people going there too so its not like everyone moving in are rich or dirt poor. Despite all its problems, it looks to keep more of a balance. I'd say out of the 2 cities, Bradenton employers are more apt to put you to work than in Sarasota where every single thing boils down to image and lily whiteness. Bradenton is segregated, but at the same time not like Sarasota is.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:08 AM

Of course, I was speaking about Manatee County, and Sarasota County as 'two wholes', not The City of Bradenton, or the City of Sarasota. The City of Bradenton as you mentioned is only one city in the County of Manatee and is the county seat of that county. Manatee county itself is a vast geographic area with a number of other cities such as The City of Parrish, The City of Palmetto, The City of Holmes Beach, The Town of Longboat Key, The Town of Holmes Beach, etc. Sarasota County of course is comprised of The City of Sarasota (county seat), The City of Venice, The City of North Port, etc.

Each county is not monolithic with sections within those distinctive counties with their own personalities and demographics.

For instance, the area of the quasi-almost-township (it's not of course), called "Lakewood Ranch" is a huge swath of eastern/southeastern Manatee County that really has nothing to do with The City of Bradenton at all. LWR and The City of Bradenton are 'night and day' in too many respects to mention. The City of Sarasota and the City of North Port are also night and day, albeit they are obviously both in the same county of Sarasota.

All in all, the development of Manatee County is far more diverse and business/residential friendly - as compared to anything in Sarasota County (not just The City of Sarasota).

Also, newcomers get mislead on purpose here. Everything in Sarasota County is NOT The City of Sarasota. Everything in Manatee County is NOT The City of Bradenton. Newcomers and a few locals make this mistake of mis-labeling, and does both a major disservice. I've even heard some people actually mis-label themselves such as living in places like Tara, Rosedale, and LWR, and describing that they live in "East Bradenton", which is plainly false. That's like living in Venice/Englewood and stating you live in The City of Sarasota - also patently false.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:09 PM

461 posts, read 554,625 times
Quote:
Of course, I was speaking about Manatee County, and Sarasota County as 'two wholes', not The City of Bradenton, or the City of Sarasota. The City of Bradenton as you mentioned is only one city in the County of Manatee and is the county seat of that county. Manatee county itself is a vast geographic area with a number of other cities such as The City of Parrish, The City of Palmetto, The City of Holmes Beach, The Town of Longboat Key, The Town of Holmes Beach, etc. Sarasota County of course is comprised of The City of Sarasota (county seat), The City of Venice, The City of North Port, etc.

Each county is not monolithic with sections within those distinctive counties with their own personalities and demographics.

For instance, the area of the quasi-almost-township (it's not of course), called "Lakewood Ranch" is a huge swath of eastern/southeastern Manatee County that really has nothing to do with The City of Bradenton at all. LWR and The City of Bradenton are 'night and day' in too many respects to mention. The City of Sarasota and the City of North Port are also night and day, albeit they are obviously both in the same county of Sarasota.

All in all, the development of Manatee County is far more diverse and business/residential friendly - as compared to anything in Sarasota County (not just The City of Sarasota).

Also, newcomers get mislead on purpose here. Everything in Sarasota County is NOT The City of Sarasota. Everything in Manatee County is NOT The City of Bradenton. Newcomers and a few locals make this mistake of mis-labeling, and does both a major disservice. I've even heard some people actually mis-label themselves such as living in places like Tara, Rosedale, and LWR, and describing that they live in "East Bradenton", which is plainly false. That's like living in Venice/Englewood and stating you live in The City of Sarasota - also patently false.

I'll tell you what I think that is. It sounds like they want to make Bradenton seem bigger by including the rest of the towns, they want to make Sarasota bigger. They want to compete with Tampa Bay.. has to be the only explanation for it.

And come to think of it, its all of Sarasota county that isnt building any new businesses really. North Port has a lot of old parts too. But ya a lot of the area is old.

Lakewood Ranch I know some of it is in Manatee so any growth they have could be due to Manatee Countys planning, much like UTC area. A lot of University is in Bradenton, hell even the airport too.. a lot of their land is so you could make a case to say that more jobs and more employers are in Bradenton after all.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
I'll tell you what I think that is. It sounds like they want to make Bradenton seem bigger by including the rest of the towns, they want to make Sarasota bigger. They want to compete with Tampa Bay.. has to be the only explanation for it.

And come to think of it, its all of Sarasota county that isnt building any new businesses really. North Port has a lot of old parts too. But ya a lot of the area is old.

Lakewood Ranch I know some of it is in Manatee so any growth they have could be due to Manatee Countys planning, much like UTC area. A lot of University is in Bradenton, hell even the airport too.. a lot of their land is so you could make a case to say that more jobs and more employers are in Bradenton after all.

You are factually WRONG on several levels. MOST of Lakewood Rand is in MANATEE COUTNY.
NONE of University...Pwy, UTC or anything else 'of University' is in BRADENTON.
NONE of the airport is in BRADENTON.
You clearly don't know anything about this area. Sorry

Old 04-13-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post

Clearly you know little about the facts.

MOST of LWR is in MANATEE COUNTY, so is future development mostly in MANATEE COUNTY
NONE of University is in BRADENTON
NONE of the airport is in BRADENTON

Deal with FACTS, not perception of a know-nothing or a newcomer

Old 04-13-2017, 06:57 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
^^^^^
ALL of the Airport is in Manatee County
University Pkwy [f/k/a County Line Rd when it was a single lane dirt road] is the dividing line between Sarasota Co. and Manatee Co.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:40 PM

Again, you too don't know what you're talking about

ALL of the airport property is NOT in Manatee County. Some of the property including the entrance is actually in The City of Sarasota, thus Sarasota County. And that portion of University PWY is ALL in the City of Sarasota.

Get educated please. Get real.

And NONE of the airport is in Bradenton. Period.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:32 PM

197 posts, read 183,079 times
Quote:
Again, you too don't know what you're talking about

ALL of the airport property is NOT in Manatee County. Some of the property including the entrance is actually in The City of Sarasota, thus Sarasota County. And that portion of University PWY is ALL in the City of Sarasota.

Get educated please. Get real.

And NONE of the airport is in Bradenton. Period.
"Sarasota–Bradenton International Airport (IATA: SRQ, ICAO: KSRQ, FAA LID: SRQ) is in Sarasota County (terminal) and Manatee County (airfield), Florida. Owned by the Sarasota Manatee Airport Authority, it is three miles north of Sarasota (Sarasota County) and six miles south of Bradenton (Manatee County)."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area