Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 11:38 PM

461 posts, read 554,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalaspa View Post
Why on earth are city data moderators rumored to be this way? Are they paid money to skew everything the way they are said to do? Whats up with all that.

As for Sarasota there is just a certain personality of people that fits best. Its just plain brattiness if you ask me. Its fake. Its like some people go out of their way to be fake and they want everyone to be fake with them too.

But anyways, the original poster is off base too on numerous points, with silliness and probably drunkness, but I still like the guy. Hes got something to say and says it. Its good stuff. But definitely its unwise to be out in the middle of the night in Sarasota, looking for trouble. Sarasota is just not the type of city where you can be out all night, anywhere really. Theres too many older folks who get scared easily. And the law enforcement in Sota is just doing their job. I did not watch any of the videos but it sounds like the OP should be thankful he/she did not get arrested that night. Sheesh

About Chicago. Some parts of that place is a violent city many, many, magnitudes worse then Sarasota Bradenton. Ive never been to Chicago but no kidding. In comparison, Sarasota is completely safe, but its just highly bratty, vanilla, and the people lack soul and coolness and in too many instances they also lack compassion. Sarasota is weird because its like a dual town: you have the retirees and the non retirees. Too many of the non-retirees tend to have sluggish thinking and high motivations for propagating and cultivating boredom and stiffling inspiration.

Of course there are good points I have not mentioned but the big issue at hand is that the beaches in the entire region are not as clean as they used to be.
HAHAHA. Well at least you admit you like me enough. I wasnt drunk when making those videos but I am silly at times. I went somewhere earlier and told someone how when I was 15, I responded to people talking about Preparation H by making a little segment of my own. I one time responded to this girl talking about poop d.. and I responded to her by suggesting she check out the Alabama hotpocket.. well when she heard about what it was (I wont say here), she went right to the bathroom and was like OMG. She triggered me though with her conversation and I took it up a notch. So ya, silly and crazy I can be, drunk.. rarely. I like occasional scotch or beer.

I met very few real people in this town, and one was a bartender at a cigar bar. Very real person but other than her, no not many. Turns out she knew someone I knew also and me and him had a long history online. And last I heard, I guess he was hunting around for rooms to rent and ran into someone I did also out around Riverview in Gib-town.. the guy liked to get naked after 10pm.. so I been around this crazy place for sure.

I bash Sarasota sure, but I will list some good areas around TB that I actually do like: North St Pete, some of Gulfport, Belleair, Palm Harbor, Greektown in Tarpon Springs. For Bradenton, around 64 area and also not far from St Pete if you want to get there if you want to live on this side. For Hillsborough, Apollo Beach is good, parts of Riverview or more so Bloomingdale but exploded with traffic. Valrico is pretty good. Brandon is about as expensive as Sarasota, maybe slightly less. The demand to live in Brandon last I checked was pretty high. I almost moved to Temple Terrace once. Had a short stint in the hood around Tampa Heights. I liked the fact downtown was close or places like Ybor, Seminole Heights, but I was in the hood literally and I experienced code enforcement. So seeing what I seen, I understand sometimes why some people try to go to places with less of this crap. But no matter what, despite all the good areas I listed, the area has definite struggles all over. I just think Sarasota treads into that territory where I cant name too many areas I like a ton outside of St Armands Circle. I can with some of the others though. Siesta Key may seem nice, but its too commercial. I think Bradenton beach has actually become a dump now. Venice is the oldest city but I dunno I am going to try and make a prediction here.. I might be off but maybe not.. but since Venice is so old still, it MIGHT be a place for young people down the road or become like a Dunedin/St Pete hybrid (one can only hope). St Pete used to have a lot of old people too but that turned around.. Can Venice? I see the foundation for it. It just wont be within the next 5 years for sure. Venice has a vibe I cant explain, like its really old, but it also COULD have some appeal if there is just one little inkling of a younger scene blooming there.. it could catch on.. there just hasnt been one. Since its so old, its probably just as bad or worse than Sarasota to be in.. but maybe not???

I didnt like Parrish when I lived there, but I understand sometimes why people chose to live up there.. there was new housing and they figured there'd be less riff raff as it was more new and they were leaving the shanty town areas in the major towns to go there. And it was near St Pete if they wanted to go, and closer to Tampa than anywhere in Manatee.. so ya I see the draw there and ya there are grocery stores and all, but too many fast food places. I guess if you dealt with too many dirtbags, Parrish would be a place where theres less although probably increasing as those subdivisions age some.

Also I didnt get arrested because I carried myself well, the cop was Hispanic and probably didnt really want to deal with a complaint from some white trash overly paranoid type so he just asked me a few questions about me and went on his way. I wasnt even close to being arrested. I told him it was cool.. I was just taking pictures of the trash in the area. He asked for my id and when I said I didnt have it with me, he didnt even make me get it so personally, I think he didnt really wanna be there and wanted to make it as easy as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 01:56 PM

26 posts, read 24,320 times
The moderators are here, Yalaspa, as they removed my comment. (thanks to those of you who gave me positive reps on that, btw.) I explained about the Sarasota Springs development and how off-base SouthSota is in his assessment. I also mentioned I AM FROM CHICAGO born and bred and how most of you who only rely on news articles (SouthSota and you too, Yalaspa) don't actually "know" what's going on there. (I just moved here permanently last year after several years of snowbirding and have close relatives and friends who have lived here 10+ years.)

Apparently because I told SouthSota to go something himself (in asterisks) for trashing multiple living areas without firsthand knowledge, my post was deemed unfit. I suppose I should have expected it but honestly there is only so much one can take of certain people talking out their *** before losing patience and saying what others want to but are too polite to do. So they don't always leave positive posts up to skew to their vision. At least not when they involve even the teensiest of personal attacks. (My post was far, far less offensive than anything ShekelKing/what'shisnewhandlenow? directs to other posters.)

If you truly think everyone is fake and "not real" in this entire geographic area...then just move already. Or, perhaps instead of judging people you don't know and painting all with the same brush, put some effort into actually making friends and finding worthwhile people. I've met plenty of people who are superficial and shallow and thus not my cup of tea, but I've met quite a few others who are genuine and wonderful. They are out here, but they don't just magically appear on your doorstep.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:55 PM

128 posts, read 167,195 times
haha "Molly Millions", ehhh

I have been in communication with SouthSota for a while now. He is okay. So what if everything is not on target. I have knowledge of the Sarasota region and Florida as a whole too. More then most people here.

One thing for sure is that people from the inner city of Chicago tend to have a lot less to prove then you do, Molly Millionaire. Unless you are just having a re-adjustment period (relocation trama, which is extremely common and I experience it too) moving to a totally different place like Sarasota.

It is like this, on the west side of Chicago, in the K's (the hood), and the bad parts (inner city) of south Chicago, where there is distinct and obvious segregation of blacks, and poverty, widespread illiteracy, gangs, death, guns, blantant drug deals in open air going in 24/7. Little kids, under 10 year olds, dropping out of school and hustling with hard drugs on the street and selling dope to white suburbanites, and suits who commute from the burbs to downtown and stop off the expressway quick to score drugs in the ghetto. Its no mystery what is up in the windy city.

Its not much of a cool thing to flaunt. Actually the inner city of Chicago is terrible. Its not appealing to me, Molly Millionaire.

Sarasota is a beautiful place especially the sunsets at the beaches, and out in Myakka. I know the area. Most people fit in splendidly in Sarasota but it is just not for everyone. I moved away and my life has improved a lot. I moved back to St. Louis. I am the type that likes colder weather. And for some reason just never much cared for Sarasota, unsure why exactly.

Last edited by yalaspa; 05-15-2017 at 09:05 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 08:15 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
With the condo/hotel building boom, it's pretty easy to see that SRQ wants to emulate the east coast style of Boca, Delray Beach etc...

Cost of living will continue to skyrocket, development north of Fruitville towards ML King between Tamiami & 301 will continue with buyout of land considered "ghetto".

If you don't like the shape of things to come, it's time to go.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
With the condo/hotel building boom, it's pretty easy to see that SRQ wants to emulate the east coast style of Boca, Delray Beach etc...

Cost of living will continue to skyrocket, development north of Fruitville towards ML King between Tamiami & 301 will continue with buyout of land considered "ghetto".

If you don't like the shape of things to come, it's time to go.
Without the support of professional jobs, how will they convince people to stay or afford the housing? Something has to change. They need to attract business first, then the people will follow.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:33 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Without the support of professional jobs, how will they convince people to stay or afford the housing? Something has to change. They need to attract business first, then the people will follow.
Florida was always planned around attracting people with enough money to own at least (2) homes.
Attracting businesses and jobs, or people who needed jobs.... was never part of the equation.
Plenty of people are moving here.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Oh, there's "professional" fields, i.e. medicine, law, banking, property management, development, etc...but it's a given that Florida has never paid well, the crash of 2007 gave investors a field day & companies did not rehire the workers they laid off, just increased the work for those who remain. Sarasota is a small town with small family owned companies for the most part. Affordable housing does not exist; all you have to do is go on Craigslist and check the rental market for house shares, apartment/condo & sfh - batsh$t crazy. SRQ has tried to attract businesses from out of state; when that does happen, they bring their own people & hire a handful of locals.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:05 AM

Boca and Delray have plenty of professional jobs. If Sarasota is looking to be another Boca/Delray, it needs jobs to attract a population that can get well-paying jobs so it can build a demo of working professionals, that's what I meant. And in comparison to Boca/Delray, Sarasota is very affordable. You cannot get a single family home in a decent neighbor for less than $275K in Boca/Delray, and that's a fixer upper.

They are very different areas.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:13 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Boca and Delray have plenty of professional jobs. If Sarasota is looking to be another Boca/Delray, it needs jobs to attract a population that can get well-paying jobs so it can build a demo of working professionals, that's what I meant. And in comparison to Boca/Delray, Sarasota is very affordable. You cannot get a single family home in a decent neighbor for less than $275K in Boca/Delray, and that's a fixer upper.

They are very different areas.
Most of the jobs in Boca/Delray pay about $10-15/hr.
Not sure how that qualifies as being well paying.
A decent home in Boca/Delray would run about $400K.
(And would probably still need work.)

Again... Florida's plan... has never been to attract "working people".

Old 05-17-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Most of the jobs in Boca/Delray pay about $10-15/hr.
Not sure how that qualifies as being well paying.
A decent home in Boca/Delray would run about $400K.
(And would probably still need work.)

Again... Florida's plan... has never been to attract "working people".
Absolutely not true. I lived there 12 years. There are plenty of professional jobs in Boca/Delray, as well as access to WBP, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami for additional opportunities. There are opportunities for professionals in all fields there.

If Sarasota is trying to be another Boca/Delray as a poster claimed, they need to support professional jobs. The areas do not compare.

In Boca/Delray: A decent home is $275K minimum. For $400K you get a really nice home. You can also spend $200K and live in a rundown area. A 2-2 townhouse in a decent area will be $150K minimum. If you want nice, $200K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area