Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 09:57 AM

331 posts, read 1,544,882 times

Advertisements

After carefully re-calculating everything again and agian, I'd figured that earning about 25K/year would be sufficient in my particular situation.

The question is if it's at all reasonable to expect to find a permanent job(a full-time or a couple of part-times) that pays such a salary. I've visited Sarasota on several occacions and by just considering an abundance of stores and banks in the area, I would expect that there are jobs associated with these establishments.

Obviously I've tried to conduct a job search over the internet and by actually visiting potential employers and employment agencies while in town. But everyone was intersted in "immediately available local candidates". When asking about my chances after I complete my move(late spring/early summer), the most optimistic response was - "things are really slow here now(even though it was 'snowbird season'), but things might change, so there could be something for you down the road".

Here's a bit about me to help you gauge my chances. I'm a 30 year old man, from suburban Chicago. My most recent job was a mainframe systems analyst for 3 years. Before that worked a back office(various bookkeeping/data entry/phone customer service) job at a bank for a year. Also had a year of shipping/receiving/mail room experience dating back some 12 years or so.

What worries me is that I have a 5.5-year gap in employment between the analyst job and now. Nothing peculiar about it though, simply could afford not work. Also, would I be deemed overqualified for a $12/hour job simply because my most recent job paid 54K/year? I don't have a college degree though, will it balance out the salary issue?

Also a question for those familiar with employment practices at Publix, Sweetbay, Albertson's or other grocery stores. When they hire bakers, do they require for a candidate to have some sort of certificate? The reason I ask is beacuse baking(both yeast bread and cakes) is one of my favorite hobbies, and I'm accomplished enough to just walk in and do a good job right away. But unfortunately I don't have any paperwork showing any "official" education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,808 times
No the grocery stores don't require any certificate to work in those areas, of course experience is preferred but they like to train (Dad is a meat market manager for one of those chains).

The only thing I have to say about your post is good luck surviving on that small of an income in Sarasota. Coming from Chicago too (19 yrs ago with my parents) it's a common misconception that FL is sooo much cheaper than up north. Really minus our recent home prices dropping it's not cheap to live here. Gas is high, food is high, taxes are high etc. There is not enough of a difference to make up for the pay discrepancy. Maybe get 2 jobs.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:47 PM

849 posts, read 3,527,969 times
Smile YOu may

have a hard time managing on that salary as "2kids..." says. I did a similar thing but not in FL and I had a husband to support me. I was 54 and I wanted to be a chef. I went to a country club and told the executive chef how good I was and that I had quantity and banquet exp. He apprenticed me and I was there for a while. I developed a health issue not related to the work so had to quit but I'd suggest a few things. First bake up a storm of your best things. The prettier the better. If you can ice a cake go for it. Photograph the stuff with as nice a presentation as possible and then apply in person at clubs, hotels etc. There's huge wedding business here a place like that might just give you a shot. The thing is the pictures are absolutely essential because yours is not only an art of taste but a visual one also. You will have to prove the stuff is as good as it looks but the looks will maybe get you in the door. Right now, PRESENTATION is everything in the hospitality business. Publix does beautiful cakes and their stuff looks great as well as tasting good but they'll start you at $7 an hour as an icer.

Come up with a plausible story about the gap. They sure don't want to hear you have independent wealth and they want to be sure you weren't in jail
If you went traveling, just say that you wanted to experience a few things while you were still young. And even if you didn't, just say you were exploring your options while still young enough to do so.
Listen, this is the time to do it, so go for it and if you have to live a bit rough for 6 mos. or a year, you'll be following your passion and that is crucial for creative people. Don't get trapped into think you have to be "realistic." What does that mean anyway??? For artistic types, realistic is doing the art and figuring out the rest along the way.
Don't rule out St. Pete as a possible place to move. The beaches are a huge draw for weddings and we have some good upscale restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
After carefully re-calculating everything again and agian, I'd figured that earning about 25K/year would be sufficient in my particular situation.

The question is if it's at all reasonable to expect to find a permanent job(a full-time or a couple of part-times) that pays such a salary. I've visited Sarasota on several occacions and by just considering an abundance of stores and banks in the area, I would expect that there are jobs associated with these establishments.

Obviously I've tried to conduct a job search over the internet and by actually visiting potential employers and employment agencies while in town. But everyone was intersted in "immediately available local candidates". When asking about my chances after I complete my move(late spring/early summer), the most optimistic response was - "things are really slow here now(even though it was 'snowbird season'), but things might change, so there could be something for you down the road".

Here's a bit about me to help you gauge my chances. I'm a 30 year old man, from suburban Chicago. My most recent job was a mainframe systems analyst for 3 years. Before that worked a back office(various bookkeeping/data entry/phone customer service) job at a bank for a year. Also had a year of shipping/receiving/mail room experience dating back some 12 years or so.

What worries me is that I have a 5.5-year gap in employment between the analyst job and now. Nothing peculiar about it though, simply could afford not work. Also, would I be deemed overqualified for a $12/hour job simply because my most recent job paid 54K/year? I don't have a college degree though, will it balance out the salary issue?

Also a question for those familiar with employment practices at Publix, Sweetbay, Albertson's or other grocery stores. When they hire bakers, do they require for a candidate to have some sort of certificate? The reason I ask is beacuse baking(both yeast bread and cakes) is one of my favorite hobbies, and I'm accomplished enough to just walk in and do a good job right away. But unfortunately I don't have any paperwork showing any "official" education.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:02 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
You might want to hook up with some head hunters, as well as say a temp to permanent service like Kelly services. It's an easier way back into the working world and they do all the work for you. I had not worked in 15 years when I went back to work in 2004....just had my three year anniversary with the same employer I initially hired on first with Kelly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area