Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 12:40 AM

3 posts, read 2,086 times

Advertisements

Setting up recreational outdoor pickup games on sundays 10am at fruitville park in sarasota florida. check it out on sportsvite.com/fruitville park basketball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 08:07 AM

10 posts, read 15,210 times
geezus, that ought to attract even more thugs - just what we need....basketball courts tend to attract wannabe NBA players - loud mouths and showboaters.

great news

Old 05-22-2017, 08:23 AM

Heretofore, Fruitville Park never tred to "promote" BASKETBALL courts at all !

From their website:

Amenities

• Fitness/jogging trail
  • Two soccer fields
  • Two softball fields with lights
  • Two tennis courts with lights
  • Multi-purpose field
  • Passive recreation area
  • Small picnic shelters
  • Playground
  • Restrooms
  • Parking area

Activities

• Soccer
  • Softball
  • Tennis
  • Fitness
  • Open play
  • Picnicking

DO YOU SEE BASKETBALL "PICKUP" GAMES listed in their supported "activities" ? Well no.

That residential area doesn't need advertisements for a bunch of mostly young men from OUTSIDE the park's area to descend on this park to participate in unorganized, non-league outside "pick-up" basketball games. Go to the YMCA.

"Pick-up basketball games" can promote boisterous, unruly behavior, and even gambling...not to mention fights.

Nope, stay away. Fruitville Park has been doing just fine WITHOUT this "invitation".

Old 05-23-2017, 08:11 PM

I like to say to those people who think that a public park is their turf. Who's the real thug here. I put one of these things together in Raleigh nc. Not one "thug" or disorderly person came to it. I am a 45 year old educated white male and I have played in places like Orlando, Tampa and Miami. This city is no where near those cities urban black, brown, African American or Latino populations. You may pay your taxes, but so do I. And this post will stay. And I urge anyone who wants to play show up anyway. The real thugs won't interfere. Gunt as you might. Anybody who's on the internet may or may not always fit your profiling. You are allowed to voice your opinions but so am I. I am not about to pay an arm and a leg to play at the Y.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:05 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT118 View Post
I like to say to those people who think that a public park is their turf. Who's the real thug here. I put one of these things together in Raleigh nc. Not one "thug" or disorderly person came to it. I am a 45 year old educated white male and I have played in places like Orlando, Tampa and Miami. This city is no where near those cities urban black, brown, African American or Latino populations. You may pay your taxes, but so do I. And this post will stay. And I urge anyone who wants to play show up anyway. The real thugs won't interfere. Gunt as you might. Anybody who's on the internet may or may not always fit your profiling. You are allowed to voice your opinions but so am I. I am not about to pay an arm and a leg to play at the Y.
Yep..."wannabe NBA players"....not-so-subtle code. It's so sad that you had to clarify that you're white.

But I am a bit confused, do they have basketball courts there or not? It was not listed in their amenities from their website...

Old 05-24-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yep..."wannabe NBA players"....not-so-subtle code. It's so sad that you had to clarify that you're white.

But I am a bit confused, do they have basketball courts there or not? It was not listed in their amenities from their website...
Perhaps you've never seen or stopped and watched "city basketball PICK-UP games" that are mostly outdoors. If you have then you would KNOW that 90% of the participants are young men who call THEMSELVES "streetballers", and they even bring their "crew" and sometimes gang supporters with them. That is a FACT about the vast majority of "city park blacktop basketball pickup gatherings". I've seen drinking, smoking (cigarettes and dope), tailgating, loud obnoxious music, loud cursing, fights, arguments, betting, and a variety of other anti-social behavior (even some inappropriate sexual activities).

If you think otherwise about this activity you are living in an alternative universe and out of touch about the culture surrounding most venues engaging in "city park basketball PICK_UP games". Sarasota Park Commission doesn't promote this activity in the first place because they KNOW the downsides in general. That's why it's NOT LISTED on their website. They and the Sheriff's department KNOW what this generally leads to. This park is no where near the city limits of City of Sarasota.
Let's make a HUGE distinction here: There's a big difference between ORGANIZED league basketball gatherings, and PICK UP street ballers. This county park plays host to large numbers of organized league play in such sport as baseball, softball, and soccer. I believe there is also organized-play tennis. In pickup play, whatever clown shows up can play - anybody. ..not so in organized-play.
Nope, this neighborhood park is not clamoring for pickup street basketball events. The entire neighborhood surrounding that park is full of single family homes and a bit of light commercial down the street.

Most "45 year old males" within a 5 mile radius of that county suburban park aren't streetballers. Most "over 30" males living relatively close to that neighborhood park, that you're inviting to show up to play street basketball are not going to show up at 10am on a SUNDAY..they might be going to church, sleeping in after a hard week's work, spending time with their families, or tending to "honey do's".

Just as a sidenote, let me point out real events. I am personally aware of several very nice condos, community clubhouses, upscale apartments, and a few others, that had to REMOVE their OUTSIDE BASKETBALL GOALS, because they were attracting outside streetballers that were invited by a few legitimate residents on occasion to "come over" and play. They created too much ruckus all times of day and early evening for the residents, and abused the invitation. Outsiders were attracted to the new basketball goals like flies. Many of these properties simply dismantled these basketball goals in order to dissuade "basketball pick-up games" and the resultant/associated activity.

Sorry, I'm just providing an informed OPINION about the OP's public "appeal" for participation.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:00 AM

Whatever, I will see you there

Old 05-25-2017, 12:12 PM

you might see a cruiser there too

Old 05-25-2017, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,172 times
wow. Perhaps a trip in your 60 SeaRay to calm you down. There are probably some kids that you could be telling to stay off your lawn.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,172 times
Curious.....how many "streetballers" do you think frequent the city-data forums???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area