Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 08:16 AM

9 posts, read 44,089 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Sarasota area for work in a couple months. We have 2 daughters, going into 2nd and 4th grade.

We are very active - our daughters play soccer, and want to try volleyball and other sports. We paddleboard and kayak and love the beach.

We currently live outside Savannah, where there is zero to do - the beach is over an hour away, and it's gross (sorry Savannah). All the kids seem to play softball here, and there aren't even any all girl soccer teams for my girls unless we want to drive a minimum of 30 minutes one-way for practice on weeknights, and travel hours for games on Saturdays.

We have been down to check out the area in and around Sarasota a couple times, and we have really narrowed down the communities we are considering to Greyhawk Landing, Mill Creek or Lakewood Ranch. We noticed the lots are really small in Lakewood Ranch, and we would really like to have a private pool, and bring our kids' trampoline and swingset. We would also really like a nice community pool (which is what attracted us to Greyhawk Landing).

Schools are very important, and I'd like my commute to be no more than 30 minutes. I will be working near the Sarasota airport.

I've seen several similar threads, but I'm curious if anyone has a recent opinion about these neighborhoods.

Thanks!!

PS our budget is $350K max, and we need 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and would like at least 2,000 sf, with a pool and a fenced backyard, with a yard big enough for the trampoline and swingset.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 10:54 AM

87 posts, read 78,980 times
Either one, just depends on your own demands. Mill Creek has some big lots for the money.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:34 PM

4,565 posts, read 7,429,209 times
Lakewood Ranch probably wouldn't work for you if you want to keep the trampoline, most of the HOAs I've come across in LWR prohibit trampolines. Plus, you will need to go thru the Architectural Committee of your HOA to get permission for the swingset and any additional fencing. Their deed restrictions on exterior changes are pretty detailed.

Not sure about the trampoline situation for Greyhawk Landing, would suggest checking with Argus, the management company - they have a website that will give you their contact info, plus they post the deed restrictions for all of the communities they manage on their site. Greyhawk Landing HOA also has an Architectural Committee that you have to go thru for exterior changes as well.

Mill Creek has several sections, from oldest to newest built, and each has their own set of deed restrictions. They are very similar but the later ones do have some additions from the earlier ones. Not sure about the trampoline situation, but they would probably be the most likely option for those as their deed restrictions are not as detailed as Lakewood Ranch or even Greyhawk Landing. And yes, Mill Creek also has an Architectural Committee for approving exterior changes such as adding fencing.

Whenever deed restrictions are involved, I always suggest that buyers obtain and read a copy of the restrictions before buying, to determine whether their lifestyle and the deed restrictions mesh. If you need to park 3 cars and the restrictions say no overnight driveway or street parking, you're going to have a problem living in that community. Most communities now have copies of their deed restrictions and bylaws available either online or as pdf files that can be emailed to you, so it's fairly easy to get the info you need to make an educated decision on your next home purchase.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,671,870 times
I'll add that, in many cases, the docs can be found as recorded documents on the Clerk of Court website by going to the official records search.

https://records.manateeclerk.com/OfficialRecords/Search

You might also take a look at Braden Woods and Braden Pines. The homes are older (80s) but the lots are much larger and there's plenty of room. As with all of these communities, you will need to verify that you can do what you want to do, under their rules.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have the covenants for all the communities we are considering. We currently live in a covenant restricted community, in fact, I am on the board. So we are no stranger to covenant restricted communities.

I was hoping to get a feel for HOW restrictive these communities really are from folks who live there.

bbronston - thanks, I will expand my search to Braden Woods and Braden Pines.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:48 PM

With all respect, getting a feel for the level of enforcement that exists now and using that degree of laxity as a basis for making a decision is risky. Assuming that you mean something along the lines in of "the rules say no but everyone does it", you have to (at least) consider the possibility that a wave of enforcement will occur and you will find yourself in a bad spot. It's much better to find a place that allows what you want from the get go.

Boards change and priorities change. Even putting the legal issues involved with trying to enforce rules that have not been enforced aside, do you really want to risk the cost and annoyance of having to defend yourself?

Old 06-19-2017, 04:40 PM

4,565 posts, read 7,429,209 times
This story is from 2010, however the attitude of Lakewood Ranch boards regarding deed restriction violations has not appeared to have changed with the passing of time:

Yard art triggers a fine of $1,600 ... and growing - News - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL

and

PREVIOUS COVERAGE | LWR board holds firm on landscaping rules | Bradenton Herald

Old 06-20-2017, 07:49 AM

bbronston - Thanks for the perspective! You've seriously just made me realize that I live in a community that is pretty lax with the rules. However, we really like living in the new nice community. We take care of our property, and I like that our neighbors are held to that same standard.

SO, my real concern is with pets. My dogs bark when they are outside, even if I'm with them. All dogs bark. AND I have a cat that goes outside. I'm afraid my neighbors in LWR will snitch us out for having 3 pets. The covenants actually specify that you can only have 2. It's not like we leave our dogs outside when we are gone, or overnight, or at night at all for that matter...

What are your thoughts on pets in the 3 communities I've mentioned?

Thanks again!!

Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 AM

Not to beat a dead horse but I think you have to assume that it will be an issue even if you get several anecdotal comments saying otherwise. I know you know this but I think it is important to say it anyway. The only people who have problems with HOAs are the ones who either go in clueless, the ones who think the rules shouldn't apply to them, and the ones who just don't act on the warnings that the HOA sends them even though they know they are in the wrong.

On the barking dog thing, even if the bylaws/rules allowed three, NOBODY likes barking dogs. I don't think you can conflate dogs that bark from time to time with dogs that bark incessantly. If that is your situation, you need to be honest with yourself, love your dogs and respect your neighbors, and find a better match for you. Lakewood Ranch does tend to have smaller lots which are not generally compatible with your situation. River Club and some of the others mentioned with larger lots would, I think, be better choices. Greyhawk might be better but those homes are still a bit close to each other.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:22 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,214,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinadb View Post
bbronston - Thanks for the perspective! You've seriously just made me realize that I live in a community that is pretty lax with the rules. However, we really like living in the new nice community. We take care of our property, and I like that our neighbors are held to that same standard.

SO, my real concern is with pets. My dogs bark when they are outside, even if I'm with them. All dogs bark. AND I have a cat that goes outside. I'm afraid my neighbors in LWR will snitch us out for having 3 pets. The covenants actually specify that you can only have 2. It's not like we leave our dogs outside when we are gone, or overnight, or at night at all for that matter...

What are your thoughts on pets in the 3 communities I've mentioned?

Thanks again!!
Dogs that bark incessantly are the problem. Our Dobie is trained to not bark and will only do so when there is an alert situation. We have neighbors that let their dogs bark at will and don't do anything to quiet them. They're the ones who shouldn't be allowed to own dogs.

Our HOA has a two dog limit and the by-laws state that owning a dog is a privilege, not a right. Any dogs that are reported as being a nuisance can get the owner cited and the dog removed. So, even if you have two and the barking bothers someone, they can be asked to leave. I'm afraid if you are found to have too many dogs you will have to get rid of one.

The neighbor's dogs don't bother me because they're just doing what dogs do. The owners that let them go need to be more courteous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area