Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:49 AM

45 posts, read 46,381 times

Advertisements

We stopped over at a fairly nice restaurant/bar within the UTC development this past weekend, and the place was pretty busy around happy hour/early evening, and practically every man in the place looked like he just left a pool bar or a sports bar - I saw only one handsome gentleman who was appropriately and well-dressed, even with a nice sport jacket - and again this was a decent (white table cloth) place. The women's dress was unremarkable one way or the other. I did see 3 or so women with lovely dresses and a few with nice skirts, but generally speaking, most reflected poor situational judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:20 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancineZ View Post
We stopped over at a fairly nice restaurant/bar within the UTC development this past weekend, and the place was pretty busy around happy hour/early evening, and practically every man in the place looked like he just left a pool bar or a sports bar - I saw only one handsome gentleman who was appropriately and well-dressed, even with a nice sport jacket - and again this was a decent (white table cloth) place. The women's dress was unremarkable one way or the other. I did see 3 or so women with lovely dresses and a few with nice skirts, but generally speaking, most reflected poor situational judgment.
I thought "Fashion Police" went off the air?

Old 08-01-2017, 05:40 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
A gentleman ALWAYS packs a couple of great, traditional sports jackets, particularly a nice navy blazer, and perhaps a fine lighter colored silk sports jacket, or perhaps a houndstooth .One thing a refined man never has to apologize for is being overdressed! \.
That's funny - in my long career in business (and life) the overdressed were the most likely to be salesmen - and not the best of them either. I always looked at the fancy dressing like a prison uniform - i.e. - they HAD to wear them or else.

This is 2017. Need I remind you that a change occurred about 1970?

Old 08-01-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I did see 3 or so women with lovely dresses and a few with nice skirts, but generally speaking, most reflected poor situational judgment.
Fancy clothes is a great way of saying "I am rich (or faking it) and don't get my hands or clothes dirty". Hopefully Sarasota can avoid this plaque and remain a laid-back place.

I don't want to shock you out of your skin, but did you know that lido was a NAKED beach for many many years? How do you feel about that dress code?

Old 08-01-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SympaticoLibre View Post
I've seen men wearing BALL CAPS and tennis shoes going into a very nice restaurant for example. That, in my book, shows no class whatsoever !
It wasn't a Red Cap on an Orange head, was it? There is a certain guy known for wearing such caps almost anywhere. No class...you are right!

Old 08-01-2017, 07:51 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
I love that it bothers them so much. First world problem. Don't worry if people don't have health care or a place to live as long as they dress well.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:36 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
This snob stuff has got to be fake - I lived in Princeton NJ - all the wealthy - wealthy not rich (as Chris Rock says) wore old ratty clothes and horse riding boots - in all the fancy supper clubs - get over yourself

Old 08-02-2017, 06:35 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
Nancy- you lived in Princeton and I lived in Harding, NJ which is why I find this thread so laughable.

To you others, look up the income stats on Princeton and Harding. Here's a hint- try zip 07976.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 AM

45 posts, read 46,381 times
All of the needless bristling here only buttresses my conclusion that many of the posters here are part of the cadre of newer residents of Sarasota Manatee that are indicative, and part of the problem.

I'm not talking about "wealth" of "wealthy zipcodes", this is an insane retort.

I'm not talking about people having "health care". That is a deflection and also hardly on topic or close to it.

I'm not talking about a Trump lookalike. What the heck is that about? Geezus, talk about a foolish comment !

I'm not talking about "nudity" on a beach here. (and yes, I've lived here probably longer than most all of the posters here....try since 1977...so go figure).

Finally, I'm not attempting to participate in being a "fashion" arbiter. My observations and opinions are solid, true, and my own. No one must like them, or agree with them. How about getting off the internet and go to work getting a new real estate listing, go show a house, go meet with current clients, go get some referrals, study the market, upgrade your professional skills, or obtain more industry upgraded designations by going back to school. Chatting on City-Data won't help you make more commissions. Go to work.

I'm not talking about professions, or if some person is a SALESMAN ! good grief. Go back to sleep please.

I'm not talking about people wearing "fancy clothes". Even fancy doesn't mean "appropriate". Have another drink please. And through my experience, people that allude to anything "fancy" have never had anything in their lives that could be characterized as "fancy" in the first place...if they had, they wouldn't show so much resentment of class, or social structure, or, they're near the bottom rung all their lives.

Anyone who regards "fancy dressing" as equivalent to a "prison uniform", reveals exactly who they are, and what they are, and where they come from.

UNDERSTANDING, and being APPROPRIATE should never be a "burden". Of course, Boneheads would think that. Similarly, being appropriate should never be perceived as an imposition. Of course, Over the past 12 or so years, Sarasota Manatee is getting full of buffoons and assorted miscreants and social reprobates, that have heretofore been in a minority within the community. Everything changes - sometimes to the worse.

Last edited by FrancineZ; 08-03-2017 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-03-2017, 12:20 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Look - no one likes a slob - if we were dining in a "fancy" restaurant my husband might wear a nice sportjacket - but otherwise this area is very casual - maybe a more affluent area would be better for the OP - Sarasota is not Palm Beach - or wherever the hoi polloi gather these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area