U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:48 AM

657 posts, read 1,537,147 times

Advertisements

im wondering particularly about northport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 PM

42 posts, read 83,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo80 View Post
we also were interested in relocating to FL, (North Port, Sarasota area), but after researching I was shocked at the number of registered sex offenders, and the crime statistics. Fl has the highest number of sex offenders in the country, and number 8 in the country for crime. We've been to Fl many, many times, and always enjoyed it. I never thought it was bad. Any Fl residents willing to share any info? Have you seen a big change in recent years? I know there are areas that are bad (as with any state), but overall, how do you feel about living in FL in general?
As far as sexual offenders...I came from Massachusetts and the only reason we had less listed is because only the hard core offenders were listed for my town. Here, if a boy is 18 and has sex with his girlfriend who is younger than 18, and daddy find out and presses charges ...he ends up a sex offender for life unless he jumps through all kinds of hoops later on. I know, it happened to my girlfriend's son. Sad, if you ask me. I think they really need to give you more details so you know who you're living near and people don't just jump to the wrong conclusion about someone.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:07 AM

8 posts, read 45,241 times
I would look into Venice instead of North Port. I just moved down here from upstate NY and I'm renting right now. I had put an offer on a house in North Port in May and when I went to look at the house, all the appliances were stolen. I heard at some other house the well pump was stolen. I think there might be a lot of break-ins and theft. Maybe because a lot of them are empty foreclosures. I wasn't impressed with North Port overall. Not many stores and kind of desolate looking. It looked better on pictures.
The house I'm renting in Venice is in South Venice, a bit of an iffy neighborhood lookswise but it's very safe. I walk my dog at night here without a problem (I'm a single female). It's just old and some houses are run down. But there are some lovely areas in Venice also and I hope to find a house to buy in one of those areas.
BTW, the water in the Gulf is lovely right now if you like swimming! The evenings are so beautiful and I can handle the heat just fine in the day time. Often there's a bit of a breeze.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,280 times
Default Crime stats for North Port, FL are OUTSTANDING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leontine View Post
I live in Elmira, NY right now and I'm also looking in NP. I've been looking for months in many areas in FL, even flew down for a week already, and I like the fact that NP is so nice and quiet and a bit rural, when you see it from the satellite pictures. The houses have bigger lots and are newer.

I think you just have to get a really good agent that will guide you to the right areas. I found one and let me know if someone needs one because this guy is doing all the leg work for me. He's better than all the others I had before. If I find a house online he'll go over there in person, inspect it and give me a report on it. He knows exactly what I'm looking for.

Be alerted, many areas in Florida where the prices are this low have high crime, tons and tons of traffic so do your research! This area doesn't!
Some have city water but most don't. But you can have a really good water filtration system for the well water. I plan on putting out a rain barrel and catch water for my yard, why not? Maybe I don't need to.

Call me a dreamer, but I plan on planting a tropical garden in NP as soon as I settle down there (hopefully this summer or fall) and my realtor told me he was growing real coconuts, pineapples and mangoes, as well as bananas. You can grow almost anything there! I even want to grow coffee and chocolate:-)

I'm single and will be working from home so I'm hoping to meet some more people moving over there who I can share tropical garden stuff with and have fun with exploring the area!!!:-) Maybe learn how to kayak. There are great areas nearby for that.

I'm just going to go for it!

Leontine

Compare crim stats for Sarasota, Ft Mers, Port Charlotte and other gulf coast cities. Crime in North Port is way, way lower than thr FL and national averages. Same is true both for property and violent crime. Violent crime is sper low.

Also, N.P. is less touristy, has less traffic, fewer snow birds, less noise, less crime, better schools, etc. N.P. is the 2nd largest city in FL, in land mass. When things eventually improve, there will no doubt be tremendous growth in N.P.

Did you know that from 2010 to 2010 the population of N.P. grew 131%.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,451,570 times
Just to add my 2 cents, I'm a "North Porter" and have been here a year now. We LOVE IT HERE. Could not have picked a better place to live.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 AM

3,404 posts, read 5,069,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryTuckerEmma View Post
Did you know that from 2010 to 2010 the population of N.P. grew 131%.

wow -wonder what happened in 2010

Old 06-13-2012, 01:27 PM

LOTS of babies born................

Old 06-13-2012, 02:43 PM

142 posts, read 107,686 times
I love all the gloom and doom of North Port. Its a growing town, and has more and more to offer. Prices are going up on homes and now its hard to find a home thats half way livable and not fight with bidding higher than asking price. I also have rentals in places like Sarasota and Venice, they are nice but Sarasota has a lot more crime than North Port and its soo constipated, it takes 20 min to cross the street. Its a beautiful place and many want to live there, but it comes at a cost, in dollars and taxes and in standing in line to change your mind most of the year. North Port is not in the country, for those of you who think this is country you have no idea what country is.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
I love all the gloom and doom of North Port. Its a growing town, and has more and more to offer. Prices are going up on homes and now its hard to find a home thats half way livable and not fight with bidding higher than asking price. I also have rentals in places like Sarasota and Venice, they are nice but Sarasota has a lot more crime than North Port and its soo constipated, it takes 20 min to cross the street. Its a beautiful place and many want to live there, but it comes at a cost, in dollars and taxes and in standing in line to change your mind most of the year. North Port is not in the country, for those of you who think this is country you have no idea what country is.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 4,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
@nphomeowner:
what best location ( zip code ) to live?, good neigborhood, clean, no crime.
I've been live in north port for 2 years but I always do everything, doctor, grocery, bank etc in port charlotte, now I want to sale my house and buy a house in north again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area