Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:19 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,824,018 times

Advertisements

Homestead exemption is a statewide exemption. It applies to every county in Florida. To have homestead you must live in Florida at least 181 days out of the year.

A few things you can use as proof of residency are:
  • Florida vehicle registration
  • Declaration of Domicile dated prior to January 1
  • Previous year's income tax return filed from a Florida address
  • Registration from your child's school
  • Previous filing of a Florida Intangible Tax return
  • Professional license issued by state of Florida, i.e., doctor, teacher, attorney, etc.
  • Employer's statement
  • Previous year's filing for another property in Florida
  • Florida drivers license
  • Florida voters ID
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,880 times
Can a person get an exeption on 2 homes that they own?.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:42 AM

No, only their primary residence. They can only claim that one home is their primary residence and therefore only claim homestead on one home. Obviously, you would not be able to claim homestead on an investment home that you rented out to someone else either. You have to reside there for more than six months out of the year.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:57 AM

18 posts, read 107,735 times
we also were interested in relocating to FL, (North Port, Sarasota area), but after researching I was shocked at the number of registered sex offenders, and the crime statistics. Fl has the highest number of sex offenders in the country, and number 8 in the country for crime. We've been to Fl many, many times, and always enjoyed it. I never thought it was bad. Any Fl residents willing to share any info? Have you seen a big change in recent years? I know there are areas that are bad (as with any state), but overall, how do you feel about living in FL in general?

Old 05-18-2008, 10:16 AM

I was born and raised in Florida so I don't really have anything else to compare it to. I would never live anywhere else.

Let's take a few Florida cities at random:
Population according to City Data/sex offenders according to the Florida Dept of law enforcement website--
Sarasota county 366,000/281 sex offenders- 1 sex offender per every 1302 people
North Port 51,000/ 77 sex offenders- 1 sex offender per every 662 people
Jacksonville 795,000/ 1637 sex offenders- 1 sex offender per 486 people
Tampa 333,000 people/ 951 sex offenders--1 sex offender per 350 people
Miami 404,000/1311 sex offenders- 1 sex offender per 308 people
Lakeland 90,000/ 383 sex offenders--1 sex offender per 235 people
Ocala 53,000/ 278 sex offenders- 1 sex offernder per every 190 people
Orlando 220,000/ 1310 sex offenders- 1 sex offender per every 168 people
Pensacola 53,000/ 551 sex offenders- 1 sex offender per 96 people

So, when you break things down North Port isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Here are a few articles that I found interesting about crime in the US/Florida
Tonight's facts: Crime statistics - CNN.com
Top 101 cities with the highest 2006 city-data.com crime index per resident, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data (population 5,000+) -- the only city I see in SW Florida on this list is Palmetto
Top 101 cities with the largest city-data.com crime index increase from 2005 to 2006 (population 5,000+) --again no cities in SW Florida are on the list
Top 101 cities with the highest number of murders in 2006 per 10,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data (population 5,000+) -- the only city in SW Florida that made this list is Ft Myers
Top 101 cities with the highest ratio of murders to rapes between 2001 and 2006 (population 50,000+) -- again the only city in SW Florida that made this list is Ft Myers
Top 101 cities with the highest number of robberies in 2006 per 10,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data (population 5,000+)-- again Ft Myers is the only city in SW Florida on this list-they made the list for the highest number of rapes, murders and robberies--yikes!

Sarasota county/North Port is no where to be found on any of the "bad lists".

Like you said, there are good areas and there are bad areas. I happen to think SW Florida is a pretty good area. I don't have much experience in other areas of Florida maybe some other people can chime in about their areas

Last edited by SoFLGal; 05-18-2008 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-18-2008, 11:55 AM

18 posts, read 107,735 times
Thanks, SoFLGal for all the info. Wow, those number still seem high. i live in nj. my town of about 25,000 has 1 registered sex offender. By county of 565,000 people there are 174 registered sex offenders. the numbers for FL are still kind of scary. I'll have to do more research.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:02 PM

Yes, jojo I would have to agree with you. I believe that the over all numbers for Florida are higher than many other states. They are what they are, there's no sugar coating them. If you choose to live in Florida I would recommend checking into all of the stats that you are concerned about.

jojo, that would make the stats where you live one sex offender per 3,247 people. That's a much lower rate than most areas in Florida.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM

44 posts, read 153,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
OK, People are probably getting tired of me being the "North Port Cheerleader" but I really like North Port. The housing is affordable, it's 25 minutes from the beach, the people are friendly, the weather is great, IMO. What more could you ask for?

Most areas in North Port are kind of quiet. I live off of Chamberlain Rd and it's nice here. It's close to the new Publix, Walgreen's and other various shops going in but it's not to close to be obnoxious.
I will join your "cheerleading" team SoFLGal. I too love North Port and I dont mind the drive to other areas. We have such a small town feel and wonderful community spirit. We have grown so much over the past years and still have maintained the family atmosphere. I would not live anywhere else.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:07 AM

657 posts, read 1,782,469 times
do you think northport is still the upcoming place it was intended to become when things were booming? I have a feeling that this still is going to be a great place. i do love the beautiful large new homes for such awesome prices but i do get a little freaked about that too because here in CT its unheard of to own such a nice home for under 300,000. it is such an investment and it feels a little risky but i think im willing to go for it. homes are priced so low and so many people are leaving because....... they are in huge mortages right? not mostly because they dont want to be there? i guess every area has its people that have their opinions. i guess everywhere isnt for everyone. like myself being a hairdresser, i believe i attract the kind of people that are most like me and it is a perfect fit. same with a town i guess. the ones that dont fit will soon have to find their place. this is just my view of things. as far as crime goes, to me, i just think this world is a very shaky place and unstabilaty in the world will make unstable people no matter where it is. crime doesnt come with a price tag. dont drug dealers make tons of money, so whos to say one cant buy a beautiful home right next to someone. does a sex offender have to be a certain type of person? i dont believe so. we live in a very different world these days and have to be very aware of everything. i am just trying to see the big picture. hope others have the same view.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,615 times
I don't think people are leaving Fl because they don't like it.Many just don't have work and many didn't realize they couldn't afford the house they bought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area