Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 11:02 AM

6 posts, read 11,228 times

Advertisements

So now we not only have the most expensive water utilities IN THE STATE but according to ABC News we have the States WORST WATER Video Report: Is your drinking water safe? Venice utilities are up there with the most violations in Florida – ABC Action News | The Uncensored Report | The EPA reports Venice has been in violation for over 7 years with I am reading the report July 26, 2017 EPA States
From January to March 2017 this water utility was in violation of health-based drinking water standards
From January to March 2017 this water utility was in violation of monitoring for contaminants or reporting monitoring tests to state agencies as required by the Safe Drinking Water Act:
Contaminants detected between 2010 and 2014 and were not part of EPA's UCMR-3 testing program:
Barium, Fluoride, Mercury (inorganic), Nitrate, Selenium, Lead , E. COLI , Coliform (TCR)FL6581901Lead2014-07-01 - 2014-12-010.015 mg/L

Not sure which is worse. The water fail or the fact that our city Mayor and Council do not appear to be aware of the issue………………. Frankie

ABC Action News reports that Venice Water Dept. is one of the worst in Florida, in regards to violations

Robert Daniels RDaniels@Venicegov.com

Ed, please provide council with information regarding this report. Thanks Bob
Regards,
Councilman Bob Daniels
City Of Venice , Florida

John Holic <JHolic@Venicegov.com>

Yesterday, 8:45 AM
Dear Mr. Abbruzzino, On behalf of Venice City Council, thank you for your communication. Sincerely, John Holic Mayor, City of Venice Get Outlook for iOS

Ed,
You should be aware of this, obviously there is nothing I can do from where I am. Please find out what this is about and provide answers. I would imagine you will be getting calls and emails today.
Thanks,

[LEFT]Fred Fraize <FFraize@Venicegov.com>[/LEFT]
Ed, I would like an update on the alleged water issues at our next council meeting.
Could be part of your City Manager report.

Travel Safe
Fred

Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 5:58:07 AM
To: City Council
Subject: ABC Action News reports that Venice Water Dept. is one of the worst in Florida, in regards to violations

Video Report: Is your drinking water safe? Venice utilities are up there with the most violations in Florida

Video Report: Is your drinking water safe? Venice utilities are up there with the most violations in Florida – ABC Action News | The Uncensored Report | Scoop News

“EWG’s new national Tap Water Database is the most complete source available on the quality of U.S. drinking water, aggregating and analyzing data from almost 50,000 public water systems in all 50 states and the District of Columbia,” EWG wrote in a press release.
click here and put in your zip code, to see what your water is like: https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/?_ga=2.107143746.1741466710.1501056528-502228928.1501056528#.WXiETYjyuUl

This Venice Rip Off Water Bills Have to STOP NOW !!! The INSANITY

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 20,098 times
Wow, that is horrible! Thank goodness we have an extensive drinking water filtering system but now I feel we need another whole house one as well. It really concerns me as to what contaminants they are not reporting. Why aren't more people concerned about this, just lack of awareness? This can have such a huge effect on health

Old 07-29-2017, 09:10 AM

252 posts, read 371,167 times
Not something to disregard, Google Walkerton On, the town forever linked to municipal ecoli contamination

Old 07-29-2017, 09:15 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmorfish View Post
So now we not only have the most expensive water utilities IN THE STATE but according to ABC News we have the States WORST WATER Video Report: Is your drinking water safe? Venice utilities are up there with the most violations in Florida – ABC Action News | The Uncensored Report | The EPA reports Venice has been in violation for over 7 years with I am reading the report July 26, 2017 EPA States
From January to March 2017 this water utility was in violation of health-based drinking water standards
From January to March 2017 this water utility was in violation of monitoring for contaminants or reporting monitoring tests to state agencies as required by the Safe Drinking Water Act:
Contaminants detected between 2010 and 2014 and were not part of EPA's UCMR-3 testing program:
Barium, Fluoride, Mercury (inorganic), Nitrate, Selenium, Lead , E. COLI , Coliform (TCR)FL6581901Lead2014-07-01 - 2014-12-010.015 mg/L

Not sure which is worse. The water fail or the fact that our city Mayor and Council do not appear to be aware of the issue………………. Frankie

ABC Action News reports that Venice Water Dept. is one of the worst in Florida, in regards to violations

Robert Daniels RDaniels@Venicegov.com

Ed, please provide council with information regarding this report. Thanks Bob
Regards,
Councilman Bob Daniels
City Of Venice , Florida

Yesterday, 8:45 AM
Dear Mr. Abbruzzino, On behalf of Venice City Council, thank you for your communication. Sincerely, John Holic Mayor, City of Venice Get Outlook for iOS

Ed,
You should be aware of this, obviously there is nothing I can do from where I am. Please find out what this is about and provide answers. I would imagine you will be getting calls and emails today.
Thanks,

[LEFT]Fred Fraize <FFraize@Venicegov.com>[/LEFT]
Ed, I would like an update on the alleged water issues at our next council meeting.
Could be part of your City Manager report.

Travel Safe
Fred

Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 5:58:07 AM
To: City Council
Subject: ABC Action News reports that Venice Water Dept. is one of the worst in Florida, in regards to violations

Video Report: Is your drinking water safe? Venice utilities are up there with the most violations in Florida

Video Report: Is your drinking water safe? Venice utilities are up there with the most violations in Florida – ABC Action News | The Uncensored Report | Scoop News

“EWG’s new national Tap Water Database is the most complete source available on the quality of U.S. drinking water, aggregating and analyzing data from almost 50,000 public water systems in all 50 states and the District of Columbia,” EWG wrote in a press release.
click here and put in your zip code, to see what your water is like: https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/?_ga=2.107143746.1741466710.1501056528-502228928.1501056528#.WXiETYjyuUl

This Venice Rip Off Water Bills Have to STOP NOW !!! The INSANITY

This scares the crap out of me--
I didn't realize the water quality was this bad--
Every person buying water from the city should be at every council meeting until this problem is solved...
And I am reposting this info on NextDoor--which is a FB for neighborhoods--
My subdivision and others in the Venice area have hundreds of members...

Old 07-29-2017, 09:22 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times
Interesting and informative post, eatmorfish, thank you!
We are only seasonal rez, and not a drinking water expert, but my taste buds have discerned that the tap water in our Escape Winter house was not the best I have ever tasted. Though, neither was our North Naples water in the 8 previous winter seasons there...

The add on response in that vid link was as I expected, and somewhere in all of this lies the 'truth' or the actual 'quality' vis a vis the compliance standards. The vid news link was sort of typical stir up the populace with a 20 second snippet, imo, but worth the investigation by someone or some agency that is at arm's length.

Maybe I will add less local water to my scotch on the rocks when I get back down this Autumn...
GL, mD

Old 07-29-2017, 01:21 PM

8 posts, read 19,714 times
I checked several zip codes of other areas I've lived - several in northern Illinois (Lake Michigan Water) and northern CA (Sierra Nevada snowmelt water); the contaminant levels for all communities I checked were higher than Venice.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:18 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
This only impacts people that are on the City of Venice public water utility. Lots of people that have a Venice address or live near Venice aren't on this water utility.

If you pay a water bill to the City of Venice, then you're impacted. I see some posters with Nokomis listed as their location. Are Nokomis properties using the City of Venice municipal water? I thought that's only for people within the city limits of Venice. City limits of Venice isn't that large and a lot of people with Venice mailing addresses aren't even within the city limits.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:21 AM

6 posts, read 11,228 times
What really gets us mad as heck is the fact that if your on the City of Venice Water is the TWO fixed monthly SRV READINESS fees that pay for absolutely nothing and continue to grow your charged no matter what the consumption is "The monthly readiness for service charge is for the reasonable
availability for the use of the system and shall be due regardless of whether the system
is actually used". Well if you use no water consumption you pay the current fee of $67.79 for nothing and they charge you regardless, until your property has a new owner PERIOD!! Quite different than in the 1980's when you got a water bill every three months for like $90.00 . Some months we use like next to no water 1980 gallons and our bills are ridiculous and have been since since 2009

Something else next time you get your Verizon or ATT phone cell phone bill look closely cause the City of Venice also charges 5.65% sales surcharge fees that are added to your bill. Yep its true

The City of Venice Managers and Mayor are stepping way Over Board and will soon very soon some polished Attorneys are going to have consultants Check the Books GUARANTEED

SRV READINESS CHARGE 20.70
WATER CONSUMPTION 25.59
BILLING CHARGE 2.74
SRV READINESS FEE 23.13
SEWER CONSUMPTION 30.52
GARB CAN

Old 08-01-2017, 09:13 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
This only impacts people that are on the City of Venice public water utility. Lots of people that have a Venice address or live near Venice aren't on this water utility.

If you pay a water bill to the City of Venice, then you're impacted. I see some posters with Nokomis listed as their location. Are Nokomis properties using the City of Venice municipal water? I thought that's only for people within the city limits of Venice. City limits of Venice isn't that large and a lot of people with Venice mailing addresses aren't even within the city limits.
Our Escape Winter house is 2+ miles east of I-75 off East Laurel Road in 'North Venice', (as the City of Venice named the area after an annexation), and we are on the City of Venice water system...

There are a considerable number of housing not in 'Venice', but connected to the City of Venice water system, fwiw.

The 'non use months' are pricey, (more so than our previous Naples area winter house by comparo), but I just write it off to a utility that can charge whatever they feel is 'necessary'.

I am ambivalent about the cost and the insidious add on taxes, fees and add'l charges that nearly every service eg cable, phone, utilities, et al add on, as there seems to be very little to nothing that anyone can do about it.

And, while FL has its fair share of this stuff, (often a function of no income tax for rez), it is prevalent in many states, and in all levels of government services and consumer services, these days.

I don't 'like it', I don't know how those add on fees and charges actually 'help me', but it is what it is. A cost of living these days, though ever increasing small poke by poke...
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area