Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:07 AM

44 posts, read 52,071 times

Advertisements

We are also looking at vintage homes in the Ringling area of Sarasota (1920s houses abound). Any advice/experience from people who actually live in this area? Schools? Walkability? Safety? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 08:12 AM

44 posts, read 44,774 times
For a lot of reasons I sincerely doubt anyone spending time on THIS website, actually lives in the Ringling Museum area.

Some sales people that hang out here might have opinions, but that's it.

As an investor in RE and other investments, and as a very longtime resident, I have my own opinions. Unless you have money to burn, I wouldn't touch most of the older pieces of junk, regardless of their alleged "great location". the actual "ringling area" is quite small, and lots of people label the area even around USF and even further south as the Ringling area, which it's not. There are tons of examples of great areas actually extremely close to the Bay that are quite picturesque and renovated to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars - others are in the millions.

Again, it depends on your tolerance for financial renovation pain.

Schools? depends on which county. The Ringling area traverses 2 counties and two different school districts and demographics - none of the designated schools with the exception of one elementary zoned SRQ schools are worth a crap, that goes especially for middle and high schools in Manatee County and esp Sarasota County.

Walkability? there is nothing really "to walk to"...i.e. shopping, strolling etc, other than to walk you dog through the neighborhood. No areas are gated.

During a possible hurricane hitting the Bay, this is one of the last places I would want to own a house.

Safety? check the local crime mapping website for yourself. All of this area is literally a couple of blocks from US 41, one of the most well-traveled dangerous roads in Florida. It's also a few blocks from Sarasota International Airport and another major corridor of University Parkway

Old 08-22-2017, 08:20 AM

44 posts, read 44,774 times
My opinion only, is that if you gave me one of those older houses, if would be for sale the same day. Again, people can differ.

Too much work, too much money, too much hassle, too much ego, too many poseurs , too much insurance, too much tax, too old....but the "West of the Trail Crowd" have always thought themselves a bit too "special". I'll let them deal with the "ambiance" of The Ringling Museum Area". It takes all kinds in the real estate/house market!

Old 08-23-2017, 06:24 AM

Where do you live "Jan"?

Old 08-23-2017, 06:40 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenkellywriter View Post
We are also looking at vintage homes in the Ringling area of Sarasota (1920s houses abound). Any advice/experience from people who actually live in this area? Schools? Walkability? Safety? Thank you!

If you don't mind spending hours on end in traffic ... go 4 it.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:55 PM

20 posts, read 22,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenkellywriter View Post
We are also looking in this area as well as it is on our short list. For us it would be way less traffic and easier access to things and places we use on a frequent basis. We love the community feel, and often see families and others at the playground and out walking.

The schools in that zone are not ranked highly, but that is not of a concern to us as our kids are in private school now, and Sarasota county does have school choice.

What is it about this area that you enjoy or you are looking for? For us it is proximity to the water, amenities, and downtown along with the larger lots. There are complaints about planes due to the proximity to the airport.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:21 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5florida5 View Post
We are also looking in this area as well as it is on our short list. For us it would be way less traffic and easier access to things and places we use on a frequent basis. We love the community feel, and often see families and others at the playground and out walking.

The schools in that zone are not ranked highly, but that is not of a concern to us as our kids are in private school now, and Sarasota county does have school choice.

What is it about this area that you enjoy or you are looking for? For us it is proximity to the water, amenities, and downtown along with the larger lots. There are complaints about planes due to the proximity to the airport.

Regarding school choice, many of the most popular schools are either at full capacity or quickly become full capacity at open enrollment time, so while technically there is school choice that doesn't mean you actually get to pick the school of your choice for your students. That is also applicable to a number of Manatee county schools as well.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:26 PM

20 posts, read 22,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Regarding school choice, many of the most popular schools are either at full capacity or quickly become full capacity at open enrollment time, so while technically there is school choice that doesn't mean you actually get to pick the school of your choice for your students. That is also applicable to a number of Manatee county schools as well.
Yes, this is true that many are at capacity. For us that is not as much of an issue because our children are in a private school now. We are more interested in middle (possibly) and high school choice, and those are almost always open.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:42 PM

461 posts, read 554,625 times
I see 100% ZERO appeal in the Ringling area. Sure they may have nice homes in some pockets, a what looks to be nice shopping center with Publix but when I went in there before, it felt like Dorchester or somewhere like that or Mattapan. It was not safe like they like making you think and they LOVE hiding crime in the entire city on the whole, but a lot of it is Ringling area. Better than South St Pete? Yes but by much? no. These artsy types will move to places like this, they'll get red pilled so for that, it serves a purpose but no more than that. This is a very dangerous area.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:35 AM

I wish there weren't so many trolls on this site. Jan Meyer is a troll who operated under several different names. It really ruins everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area