Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

The Weather Service was slow to adopt the Euro model which showed a western landing more than once since Irma got serious. Now others agree with it.
VERY serious storm.
I know the weather guys often say you shelter from wind and run from water --
but this storm will cover the state with some very, very strong winds...and there will be a very strong storm surge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 12:18 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
The problem seems to be that nobody really knows what the ultimate path of Hurricane Irma is going to be - and we won't really have a much more certain outcome until Saturday after Irma makes it Northward turn. However by Saturday if we find out that a West Coast hit is most probable it will be too late to leave by then. Some people probably already decided to stay because yesterday the models had Irma shifted to the East.
Right, it certainly looked like we might even have been outside of the cone....until that d*mn European model shifted, and now Sarasota/Bradenton are all part of the mix. I didn't leave because I physically cannot drive that far and I have two dogs. I'm in Manatee Evac Zone D, which is better than A, but I'm like 2 blocks from A. Totally freaked out....I feel like my blood pressure is sky-high. And I don't think it's even supposed to hit here until Sunday...

Old 09-08-2017, 04:39 AM

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...t-good-reason/
Article by Houston meteorologist about Irma and her special qualities

Old 09-08-2017, 04:42 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
According to John Scalzi at ABC7, the predicted track has shifted west but the good news is that it is expected to be a cat 2 by the time it hits our latitude. Not that a cat 2 is a good thing but it is definitely more survivable than a 4 or 5 making landfall here.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:25 AM

I cant watch Sarasota tv here in Tx
But posters on CD hurricane board expect it to be a 4
The Euro model which had proven more accurate than others (not my opinionbut weather authorities) only knocks it to a 3

Waters between where she is now and FL are not that cool are they? To slow her down?
Why did he think she would lose that much dynamic energy?
Would be great---but it's almost too good to be true...

Old 09-08-2017, 07:27 AM

274 posts, read 326,721 times
The water is very warm there. The weather Bugs disagree, some saying it will increase prior to landfall, others think it's weakening. This is going to be a last minute thing where it turns and suddenly they get the landfall target. It's a cone for a reason, the possible target space is wide. It is so very hard for people not knowing exactly where!

Saw a model where it comes in at Naples and heads over to Disney then out at Jacksonville (latest UK I think). Others have it hugging the west coast, and still others closer to the spine all the way up the middle. Very frustrating! the only thing you can do is watch the track and notice the wind speed the hurricane planes report as they fly through the eye.

It would be very nice if it weakened after Cuba. Remember though, Harvey made landfall about 25 miles off the predicted spot. It was supposed to be Corpus Christie and it ended up at Rockport. that's about the best they can do.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:30 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
The National Hurricane Center now has the coastal region in southern Sarasota County under a storm surge warning, meaning there is a chance of “life-threatening inundation.” Venice and southward can expect a storm surge of 3 to 6 feet. Therefore the county has issued mandatory evacuation of the barrier islands and coastal areas, zone A.

Manatee county has also now issued mandatory evacuation of zone A, barrier islands and coastal regions, as well as all mobile homes, wherever they are located.

Hopefully people will evacuate where required as authorities are saying that once the wind speeds hit 35+ sustained, all emergency personnel will be pulled off of the roads until it's safe again.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:35 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Watching the 2 pm Sarasota County press conference.

They expect it to be a Cat 2 when it reaches Sarasota County.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...04895709877272

Scroll down to get to the conference.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:22 PM

8,223 posts, read 4,660,305 times
It looks to me like according to the National Hurricane Center's 5PM update (to their Hurricane Irma graphic) - the Sarasota area is now in the Hurricane Warning zone. Am I reading this correctly? Previously this graphic had the Sarasota area only in the Hurricane Watch zone. So this doesn't seem to be looking good for us....

HURRICANE IRMA

Old 09-08-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Watching the 2 pm Sarasota County press conference.

They expect it to be a Cat 2 when it reaches Sarasota County.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...04895709877272

Scroll down to get to the conference.
Why?
It is a 5 again
Why will it drop 3 power zones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area