Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:16 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,005,703 times

Advertisements

Let's suppose the average stadium worker/hotel maid/dishwasher/valet guy makes $10 an hour. $100 million / $10 an hour = 10 million hours of human time that would have to be physically worked on the clock before that money makes it back into the "local economy". 40 hours a week x 52 weeks = 2,080 hours a year. 10,000,000 / 2,080 hours = 4,800 total human years of work before that money makes it back into the "local economy". 4,800 years / 100 workers = 48 years of work at $10 an hour for 100 people.

Or, if you really just wanted to help the economy, you could just load all that cash onto a fleet of Dunbar trucks and drive around town and literally just give all the money away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 07:14 AM

25,245 posts, read 12,375,937 times
Concert D Major said: "Or, if you really just wanted to help the economy, you could just load all that cash onto a fleet of Dunbar trucks and drive around town and literally just give all the money away."

Then how would the politicians get their take? This could only happen if Dunbar paid off all the politicians first, then the remaining funds were tossed off the trucks.

If there are no; free meals, sports/entertainment tickets, trips, private plane charters, massages, beauty treatments, favors for friends & family members, ect.. then it just cannot hapen. "It" being any government controlled financial transaction.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:32 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,008,861 times
The Sarasota County checking account is overflowing with cash. They can't spend the money fast enough. $12 million to pave over railroad tracks, $25 million for a rowing lake, hundreds of thousands on every intersection that they place a concrete circle and call it a 'roundabout' A new High School. $100 million for a baseball stadium? No problem. The next orange grove/golf course/cow pasture converted to 50x100 lots for housing will pay for it.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:55 PM

d4g4m...I was just wondering...is the Sarasota City and County Pension funds 100% funded? If not, that would be a good place to spend money. If they are, then why not reduce property taxes? Just a thought from a newcomer to your fine area.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:12 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,578,120 times
Bottom line - it's a way to steal from the taxpayers and give to the real wealthy and developers. Period.

This has been happening for decades - even tiny towns are bonding MILLIONS for stadiums with lights,etc - by the time the public realizes how bad things are, those pols and developers are long gone

Welcome to Florida!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:05 AM

Why would they want to give money to the real wealthy, and developers?

Is there no way to stop it here?

Can't undercover FBI agents keep the local politicians and developers honest? In Atlanta, and surrounding areas, the FBI and DOJ have been terriffic. We've had many City, and County politicians, and their support staffs sent to jail from Mayors to County Commissioners. Right now, the City of Atlanta's former Procurement Chief is under investigation. A lot of these folks in Georgia go to jail.

I'm not saying the Atlanta metro is clean, but the good guys are making a dent. Most muni workers in the City of Altanta, Fulton County, Dekalb County, and Gwinnett County has seen someone they know, or at least recognize from their workplace, go to jail. That's a strong deterrent.

It all starts with just 1 whistleblower, some evidence of wrongdoing, and a lot of guts to step forward. Then the FBI & DOJ take over. There are new laws to protect whistleblowers too.

Let's encourage whistelblowers to step forward, and then support them during (and after) due process has run its course. See something...say something.

Anytime large sums of money changes hands, watch politicians, and developers closely. Projects like:

Multi-million dollar upgrades of recreational facilities
Sports stadium construction
Airport upgrades, and/or large contracts being awarded
Dredging, or environmental clean up contracts
Land acquisition for schools, parks, or other public use (this is a biggy)
Infrastructure upgrades for water, sewer, roads
Re-zonings of any kind
Public funds mangement, like Pension funds

These are the areas I've seen uncover corruption most often. I'm not in law enforcement, but I pay attention, and read a lot on this topic. See something, say something.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:45 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,578,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
d4g4m...I was just wondering...is the Sarasota City and County Pension funds 100% funded? If not, that would be a good place to spend money. If they are, then why not reduce property taxes? Just a thought from a newcomer to your fine area.
It's not about saving money! It's about SPENDING money.

You have the wrong idea here.....

Old 12-16-2017, 09:54 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,096,407 times
I live in North Port and I sure would have liked to have seen The Red Sox come here. There are so many New Englanders here, they would fill up a stadium! Although the Braves started out as The BOSTON BRAVES, I don't think any Soxie fan could root for them. Lol, I would like even those dastardly Yankees in town better!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area