U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:48 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,380,695 times

Advertisements

Wow. You all have given me some really good information. Thank you so much

Now just need to get a better understanding of what differs in living in downtown St Pete vs Sarasota..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 AM

172 posts, read 406,584 times
Default Sota versus St Pete...

The only way to really know is to come down and visit :-) Best Wishes!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,446 times
Are there trailer parks in the Sarasota area that would give us access to both beaches and downtown Sarasota, say within a 10 minute drive?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:45 AM

877 posts, read 1,888,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurwenk View Post
Are there trailer parks in the Sarasota area that would give us access to both beaches and downtown Sarasota, say within a 10 minute drive?
It depends. The are resident owned parks and parks where you rent the lot, but own the home. I know there is a resident owned park close to the intersection of Stickney Pt and the Trail. It's called Southwind. Finding a park that is within ten minutes of both downtown and the beaches could be tough. I know there are many parks within ten minutes of Nokomis or Venice beaches. In fact my cousin has doublewide for sale in Spanish Lakes and it's about five minutes from Nokomis Beach.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:56 AM

877 posts, read 1,888,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Are both cities downtown areas pretty much equal in terms of:

1)Liveability - Downtown is Safe, friendly, proximity to beaches perhaps

2)Walkability - being able to walk to big supermarkets, libraries, restaurants, lots of shops, coffeehouses to hang out. Not needing a car.

3)Population type - which downtown has more older vs younger folks? Are both pretty equal?

Thanks so much in advance
Livability- Downtown Sarasota is much closer to beaches than St Pete. Downtown St Pete is on Tampa Bay. The closest beach is probably at least a 30 minute drive. I also believe downtown Sarasota to be safer. We looked at condos in both Sarasota and Pinellas Counties. Both counties have bad areas, but the thing that struck me about Pinellas county was the inconsistency. One block would be fine and the next looked like a combat zone. Ultimately, that is why we bought in Sarasota. Another factor is costs. Generally, real estate in Pinellas County will be cheaper.

Walkability - I think Sarasota has the edge here also. I do not remember any supermarkets in downtown St Pete. One thing St Pete does have is the pier. It's kind of nice.

Population - I don't really know anything about this. My perception is that the St Pete-Clearwater area is more of a tourist Mecca. I know spring break in Clearwater is much worse than anything I have seen in Sarasota.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 AM

1,645 posts, read 2,672,211 times
I have lived in both.

Downtown Sarasota is much more condensed, and, obviously, walkable.

You're always much closer to the beach in downtown Sarasota than downtown St. Pete.

The general demographic in Sarasota is definitely a little older, but when you get downtown/St. Armand's, you'll find more younger people. In fact, downtown and the adjacent Southside Village are both popular settling spots for younger people in the area.

I really enjoyed living in each, but prefer Sarasota. It feels much safer, I find the people a little easier-going, and I think it's a bit more aesthetically-pleasing. There is a vibrant arts scene that I didn't really see in St. Pete.

Sarasota is definitely smaller, so it's possible there was a lot I did not see in St. Pete. As such, Sarasota has a much more "quaint" feel to it.

Meanwhile, when God-forsaken Spring Break comes around, you will lament living anywhere near St. Pete/Clearwater. It gets REALLY bad, as in, "JERSEY SHORE" bad.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:35 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,523,516 times
St Pete: Pros: Better bars downtown, 2 major venues where bands play, pro baseball, way better record stores and coffee shops/little eateries, appearance of a big city

Cons: Rampant homeless population, right beside ghettos (although in Sarasota not awfully far too), beaches a little further, cost of living is rising either as high as Sarasota or even more.

Sarasota: Pros, pretty much the reverse of above

Cons: Pretty much the reverse of above

Old 10-30-2010, 04:13 PM

1,556 posts, read 2,161,044 times
Dishing above mentioned DOlphin TOwers. You certainly CAN get a place there very cheap - next to nothing. That is because for about 6 months now the property has been evacuated and off-limits due to faulty construction that was causing it to shift. I feel terrible for the people who lived there - they all had to leave with practically no notice. And from what I hear, it is not likely it will be reopening soon.

Downtown is WONDERFUL! Vibrant. A Great Mix of people. Fun. Welcoming.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:18 PM

14,000 posts, read 27,533,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Dishing above mentioned DOlphin TOwers. You certainly CAN get a place there very cheap - next to nothing. That is because for about 6 months now the property has been evacuated and off-limits due to faulty construction that was causing it to shift. I feel terrible for the people who lived there - they all had to leave with practically no notice. And from what I hear, it is not likely it will be reopening soon.

Downtown is WONDERFUL! Vibrant. A Great Mix of people. Fun. Welcoming.
Re: Dolphin Towers - my husband (who is an architect) is of the opinion they won't ever move back in there - there comes a point where the "fix" cost is too high. I feel for those people, I think they are just "out" the money and place to live.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:42 AM

41 posts, read 67,019 times
I live in downtown SRQ and have a few friends who live in downtown St. Pete.

Determining which one is better depends on your age.

I'm serious.

If you are >60 YO, downtown Sarasota is much better than downtown St. Pete. Crime = almost non-existent. Dining options: hilariously limited. And the streets get "rolled-up" at 9 PM nightly.

OTOH, if you are <60 years old, downtown St. Pete is a much better option for you. Downtown St. Pete tends to attract a lot of young professionals - a demographic that Sarasota has gone out of its way to shun over the past 10 years. In addition, dining options tend to be diverse, and there are plenty of things to do there after 9 PM.

FWIW, I have lived in downtown (Warehouse District) New Orleans, downtown Houston, downtown San Antonio, downtown San Diego, and downtown Sarasota...as a person under 45, I can tell you that in comparison, downtown Sarasota is akin to "Del Boca Vista."

The fact that Patrick's is regarded as one of the better dining options downtown tells you everything that you need to know about how lame downtown SRQ is for anyone under 50.

Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area