U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:28 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,068,166 times

Advertisements

SRQ14, I appreciate that you're in your 40's, not a kid, but you gotta remember that 60 is the new 40, and that early 60's types like myself are boomers. I.e., we are not slowly down very much, just enjoying life. Are you telling me that I would enjoy Sarasota because they roll the sidewalks up at 9, or that I would not enjoy it, because I don't feel like I have one foot in the grave?

Sorry, don't mean to be rude or anything, really. Just trying to get a read on reality--we will be visiting in December to look around, just wondering what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 AM

4,542 posts, read 11,394,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ14 View Post
I live in downtown SRQ and have a few friends who live in downtown St. Pete.

Determining which one is better depends on your age.

I'm serious.

If you are >60 YO, downtown Sarasota is much better than downtown St. Pete. Crime = almost non-existent. Dining options: hilariously limited. And the streets get "rolled-up" at 9 PM nightly.

OTOH, if you are <60 years old, downtown St. Pete is a much better option for you. Downtown St. Pete tends to attract a lot of young professionals - a demographic that Sarasota has gone out of its way to shun over the past 10 years. In addition, dining options tend to be diverse, and there are plenty of things to do there after 9 PM.

FWIW, I have lived in downtown (Warehouse District) New Orleans, downtown Houston, downtown San Antonio, downtown San Diego, and downtown Sarasota...as a person under 45, I can tell you that in comparison, downtown Sarasota is akin to "Del Boca Vista."

The fact that Patrick's is regarded as one of the better dining options downtown tells you everything that you need to know about how lame downtown SRQ is for anyone under 50.

Sad but true.
They "roll up the streets at 9 p.m. nightly?" ...hmmm ... so you're saying I've been walking on invisible sidewalks during the past three years?

Old 11-14-2010, 12:51 PM

7,484 posts, read 18,285,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
They "roll up the streets at 9 p.m. nightly?" ...hmmm ... so you're saying I've been walking on invisible sidewalks during the past three years?
I've left my house many times at 9 and not gotten up there until 10 or so and things are usually pretty lively.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:21 PM

1,548 posts, read 2,132,411 times
Downtown Sarasota is pretty lively late at night. Don't know what sidewalks are rolled up at 9 PM - maybe in Lakewood Ranch or Palmer Ranch, but definitely NOT in Downtown, Burns Ct area, TOwles Ct area, Gulf Gate area, Southside area.
And there is a wonderful and varied selection of restaurants there.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:58 AM

41 posts, read 66,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Downtown Sarasota is pretty lively late at night. Don't know what sidewalks are rolled up at 9 PM - maybe in Lakewood Ranch or Palmer Ranch, but definitely NOT in Downtown, Burns Ct area, TOwles Ct area, Gulf Gate area, Southside area.
And there is a wonderful and varied selection of restaurants there.
I am simply comparing it to places where I have previously lived.

Yes, there is a decent selection of restaurants downtown. That said, how many are open at 9:30 on a Tuesday night?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 AM

4,542 posts, read 11,394,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ14 View Post
I am simply comparing it to places where I have previously lived.

Yes, there is a decent selection of restaurants downtown. That said, how many are open at 9:30 on a Tuesday night?
Is that the time you want to eat dinner?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:48 PM

20 posts, read 22,143 times
I'm 29. Downtown St Pete has a lot more going on than Sarasota. There are venues but where are the 20/30 somethings? It's like a ghost town, even on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area