Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI1955 View Post
I have been looking at the listings and would like to come down and scope the area. What is the best part of Nort Port? Can you describe the differences?
When are you thinking of coming? And that is a tough question. A lot depends on what you like, if you like being near the mall, or do you like living out in the country? North Port has a lot to offer. North Port Estates has very nice upscale home on 5 acre lots. They allow horses and things. Other areas are closer to the beach, although North Port is not on any gulf access water, they do have a lot of canal homes and some of the canals run for miles, and are great if you like fresh water bass type fishing.

The person that can with out a doubt give you the best help if you want to know about NP is SoFLGal, she can answer all your questions. She is like the Wikipeadia of NP! ;-) But, has better grammar! :-))), And, drives faster!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
I have been looking at the listings and would like to come down and scope the area. What is the best part of Nort Port? Can you describe the differences?
I'll do my best to describe the different areas of North Port. Most of the neighborhoods in North Port are described by the major road the run off of. For instance I live off Chamberlain Blvd so it's referred to as the Chamberlain neighborhood.

There are three major east/west roads that run through North Port. US 41 or Tamiami Tr and in the middle of North Port is Price Blvd and at the top of North Port runs I-75.

There are two major roads in North Port that run out to the interstate-Sumter Blvd and Toledo Blade Blvd.

I'll start from west and move east. Starting on west side of North Port you have the Biscayne Blvd area. The neighborhoods off of south Biscayne have some of the original homes in North Port and many were constructed in the 1950's and 60's. Many of them are rentals and bought by investors.

Now moving on from west to east the next major road you will run into is Sumter Blvd. North Port has very few flood zones but on the west side of Sumter Blvd and north of Price Blvd there are some homes that are in a flood zone. Many of these homes run very close to the Myakkahatchee River. Generally the east side of Sumter Blvd is not in a flood zone. This area is very popular with commuters/people who work in Sarasota or Ft Myers because Sumter Blvd leads out to the interstate. Also that area has a very new elementary school-Lamarque Elementary.

Going west to east again the next major road we come to is Salford Blvd. Many of the homes off of south Salford Blvd have city water and that's a draw for some people since most of NP is on well and septic. Also many of the homes in this area were built in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Most homes in NP were built in 2000 or newer so this is unusual. This area is pretty much the center of town. Central to all shopping, gas stations and I-75. My father lives off of South Salford Blvd.

The next major street would be Cranberry Blvd. I would say that I probably get the most requests for this area due to Cranberry Elementary ranking very high with the state and local scoring. Even if you don't have kids it might be something you would want to consider for resale on your home.

The next major street would be Chamberlain Blvd. I live off of Chamberlain Blvd as does my mom. It's pretty similar in area to the Cranberry area-newer homes, similar neighborhoods, etc. Most of Chamberlain Blvd does go to Toledo Blade Elementary, which is not as highly rated as Cranberry Elementary.

Your next major road would be Toledo Blade Blvd. This is the other road in North Port that leads out to I-75 and down to US 41. Again, many commuters like to live close to this area.

If you wanted a more populated area you would stay east of Sumter Blvd, north of US 41, south of I75 and west of Toledo Blade Blvd. That's probably the most popular square in North Port as far as the requests I get.

Generally the areas east of Toledo Blade and north of I-75 and less populated. So, if you didn't want very many neighbors then you should be looking off of Jeannin Dr, Haberland Blvd, San Mateo Blvd and Atwater Blvd.

North Port, Florida is located on the west coast of Florida in the southernmost part of Sarasota County midway between Sarasota and Fort Myers. US 41 and I-75 provide easy access to airports in Tampa, Sarasota and Fort Myers. At 103 square miles, North Port is the second largest city in Florida in land size, but it still retains the friendliness and convenience of a small town since it is only 18% developed.

Streets were laid out with many cul de sacs and U-shaped sections to minimize traffic in residential neighborhoods. Charlotte Harbor is also close by and is a favorite of boaters and sports fisherman alike.

North Port, Florida became a city in 1959, and its population has more than tripled in the last fifteen years. North Port’s population is around 46,000 now but projected to climb to 250,000 in the next 10-25 years. Concerned with urban sprawl, the city of North Port, Florida is extending more sidewalks and encouraging walking by planning smaller neighborhoods within the city. With a vast inventory of new homes, resale homes and land, North Port, Florida is a fast growing area where you will get more bang for your buck.

Another draw to North Port, Florida are twelve parks and recreation areas, where you can bike, hike and bird watch to your heart’s content. The newest one is the Garden of the Five Senses. Kids enjoy the North Port Skate Park, and a dog park is planned for the future. Most of Florida’s Myakka State Forest is within the city limits of North Port, Florida and provides 8592 acres of unspoiled land for hiking and primitive camping along the river.

North Port has North Port High School and Heron Creek Middle School and Woodland middle school and there are plans for another high school in the near future. Cranberry Elementary, Toledo Blade Elementary, Glenallen Elementary, Lamarque Elementary and Atwater Elementary meet the needs of grade school students. North Port has a new high school, a performance arts center, and is close to Manatee Community College, which plans a North Port campus by 2010. You will also find numerous pre-school and day care facilities.

To accommodate future growth, new commercial complexes are unveiled constantly along US 41 and in the Price Boulevard and Toledo Blade areas, the two access points to I-75. A new shopping center making a third Publix and numerous other retail stores just opened on Toledo Blade, and a theater and water park are in discussions and just this year a brand new ER opened up. More specialty restaurants and major chains like super Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Perkins, Walgreen’s, ABC Liquor and Lowe’s are also in town and a major mall in Port Charlotte is only 10 minutes away.

Generally, the waterfront homes that stretch north of US 41 are on the canals or lakes and have no Gulf access, whereas the canal homes on the south side of US 41 have Gulf access.

Local communities in the North Port, Florida area featuring a golf club environment include Bobcat Trail Golf Course, Sabal Trace Golf Course and Heron Creek Golf and Country Club.

Three other planned communities in NP worth investigating are Talon Bay, Lakeside Plantation and Charleston Park all provide activities and amenities for their residents.

Cypress Falls at the Woodlands is North Port's 55+ community.

You’ll find mobile or manufactured homes limited to a few communities along US 41, some with Gulf access.

North Port Estates is an equestrian dream. This neighborhood has many recreational areas, horse and hiking trails. The Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park stretches for nine miles, coursing through North Port Estates. Most homes sites are three to five acres mini-ranches and are zoned agricultural. Throughout North Port, Florida you will also find 2 to 10 acre tracts for a sprawling estate in a residential neighborhood.

Hope this helps

Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 AM

24 posts, read 68,012 times
Default Middle of the Road

Thanks for the feedback, I would like a 1/2 acre in a somewhat spacious area where the houses are no older than 10 years. I will probably have to commute, so closer west with the above mentioned spec would be ideal.

How is the water? I see most have the option of public water or wells.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, I would like a 1/2 acre in a somewhat spacious area where the houses are no older than 10 years. I will probably have to commute, so closer west with the above mentioned spec would be ideal.

How is the water? I see most have the option of public water or wells.

I'm on well water and I don't mind it at all, actually prefer it. We've had a well for about 10 years now and no real issues. Every six months you have the filters changed and the tank scrubbed at a charge of $100 and then every month we have salt put in at a price of $35 per month. I'm sure it would be much less if you wanted to do it yourself.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:08 PM

24 posts, read 68,012 times
Default Job Market

Well, it appears I should be down in FLA soon looking for employment. Anybody know where a good source of job listings (accounting, operations manager) might be found?

Old 10-10-2010, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,677 times
Default Thinking Of Moving To Venice Florida

Hi There,

Me and my family are thinking about moving to Venice Florida. We are looking at houses with saltwater canal access to the Myakka River. We were wondering if anyone could tell us approximately how long the boat ride is from 9036 Hilolo Ln Venice Fl right by the northeastern tip of the state forest to Charlotte Harbor? Thank you For Your Help

SweetTea101
Miami Florida

Old 10-11-2010, 04:13 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTea101 View Post
Hi There,

Me and my family are thinking about moving to Venice Florida. We are looking at houses with saltwater canal access to the Myakka River. We were wondering if anyone could tell us approximately how long the boat ride is from 9036 Hilolo Ln Venice Fl right by the northeastern tip of the state forest to Charlotte Harbor? Thank you For Your Help

SweetTea101
Miami Florida

Hi Welcome to the board! You've found a great place to ask questions and meet some new people. Good luck on your move! Check out SoFLGal s posts. She knows a lot about everything going on in that area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area