Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 07:13 AM

274 posts, read 323,258 times

Advertisements

I too know people who drive miles to get back to their favorite hairdresser regularly.

And yes, bad haircuts are not worth it at any cost savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 08:04 AM

57 posts, read 64,105 times
Why would anyone assume that a "great cut" necessitates spending too much money? It's a haircut not a face or boob job. Some women place too much emphasis on "hair", "nails", and a "dye job" that most people (both genders, but less men) truly don't notice or judge. A "great cut" on your head doesn't make you smarter, or a better person or a better employee for godssake. It's more important what's in your head than what grows atop of your head - you'll learn that if you develop cancer and then get treatments to save your life, but your hair falls out - Character is champion in your daily life, and seeking wisdom, not being overly concerned with paying for a "great haircut" to an over-rated, needlessly expensive egoist "stylist". Haircuts, all of them are temporary changes to an outward physical appearance - image is not "everything" - you can still suffer from "placing a 50 Dollar Hat on a Nickel Head".

There is no status in paying too much.....for anything.

Some women never seem to learn what matters. They are conditioned from 10 years old to 80 years old to spend money, too much money, on make-up, hair, dye, shampoo, lipstick, foundation, mascara, purses, the latest "off the shoulder ugly blouses (lol), and of course stupid shoes like JimmyChoos lol.

Last edited by -parallon-; 02-04-2018 at 08:15 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 10:16 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,007,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -parallon- View Post
Why would anyone assume that a "great cut" necessitates spending too much money? It's a haircut not a face or boob job. Some women place too much emphasis on "hair", "nails", and a "dye job" that most people (both genders, but less men) truly don't notice or judge. A "great cut" on your head doesn't make you smarter, or a better person or a better employee for godssake. It's more important what's in your head than what grows atop of your head - you'll learn that if you develop cancer and then get treatments to save your life, but your hair falls out - Character is champion in your daily life, and seeking wisdom, not being overly concerned with paying for a "great haircut" to an over-rated, needlessly expensive egoist "stylist". Haircuts, all of them are temporary changes to an outward physical appearance - image is not "everything" - you can still suffer from "placing a 50 Dollar Hat on a Nickel Head".

There is no status in paying too much.....for anything.

Some women never seem to learn what matters. They are conditioned from 10 years old to 80 years old to spend money, too much money, on make-up, hair, dye, shampoo, lipstick, foundation, mascara, purses, the latest "off the shoulder ugly blouses (lol), and of course stupid shoes like JimmyChoos lol.
Don't hurt yourself falling off your high horse.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:34 PM

81 posts, read 74,923 times
After numerous bad haircuts over the years - from supposed high-priced "professionals" - I cut my own hair and my husband's, and we get compliments all the time. I have also cut family & friends' hair for years. I am not a hairdresser, just someone who decided not to pay the outrageous prices for something I could do myself with a little reading, research & time. If I didn't need a license to cut hair publicly I would do it for much less than what the "pros" are charging. It's like anything else - learn, practice, take the time, and just do it. Make a mistake? The nice thing about hair is that it grows back.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:12 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,258,374 times
To me, most of those prices seem way too high! My wife and I have been going to Great Clips in Minnesota for many years, and consistently get excellent hair cuts. Great Clips has shops in Florida, which we haven’t tried yet, but I assume the results will also be excellent. In the past, we bought a Great Clips gift card where each haircut costs only $9.95, excluding the tip. We normally buy the Great Clips gift cards on Black Friday. Last year, the gift card rate went up to $10.95 per haircut, which is still much cheaper than the prices others are paying. The gift cards never expire in Minnesota (I think gift cards don’t expire nation wide), and the Great Clips haircut gift cards can be used at any Great Clips shop. You can buy up to 22 haircuts on the gift card, so a gift card can last for years if you only get a haircut every other month.

Sometimes you get better results for things when you spend more money. Sometimes you’re just overpaying. You shouldn’t blindly assume that paying a lot more money will give you better results.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:19 AM

39 posts, read 22,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
To me, most of those prices seem way too high! My wife and I have been going to Great Clips in Minnesota for many years, and consistently get excellent hair cuts. Great Clips has shops in Florida, which we haven’t tried yet, but I assume the results will also be excellent. In the past, we bought a Great Clips gift card where each haircut costs only $9.95, excluding the tip. We normally buy the Great Clips gift cards on Black Friday. Last year, the gift card rate went up to $10.95 per haircut, which is still much cheaper than the prices others are paying. The gift cards never expire in Minnesota (I think gift cards don’t expire nation wide), and the Great Clips haircut gift cards can be used at any Great Clips shop. You can buy up to 22 haircuts on the gift card, so a gift card can last for years if you only get a haircut every other month.

Sometimes you get better results for things when you spend more money. Sometimes you’re just overpaying. You shouldn’t blindly assume that paying a lot more money will give you better results.

Watch out, your common sense may offend some of these posters' sensibilities, like blueherons post above ha ha !
Sometimes in Sarasota you'll see and experience people confuse class and common sense, with spending too much....whether it's a haircut or not....just walk around Whole Foods DT and watch their behavior and listen closely. Common sense has left the building...I wouldn't even consider being around a woman who would even drive to TAMPA from SRQ to get her hair cut

Old 02-07-2018, 12:54 PM

39 posts, read 22,625 times
What's eating you? I just gave my opinion, just like you!

Have fun

Old 02-07-2018, 02:19 PM

81 posts, read 74,923 times
Note regarding screen names - I have one, and my husband HAD one - his was permanently deactivated, apparently because someone - who doesn't even know us - reported to TPTB that one person was posting using two names. Not so.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:33 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,826,288 times
My sister is a hair stylist. (Has been for 35 years in Wisconsin) She charges 45 for a hair cut (that is shampoo, cut, style, blowdry). Charges more for perms and color of course. She has a loyal list of customers.
I am her older sibling. I have not been to a professional (or any hair stylist) for over 31 years until recently (my sister). I cut, color & style my own hair and it really ticks my sister off. LOLOLOL
I let her bleach my hair in November because I wanted it back to more my natural color. She didn't charge me because we are sisters and because I had to drive an hour one way to go to the shop she works at. The trip was worth seeing my sister but I wish I would not have let her touch my hair. I've bleached it before myself and with no damage. When she did it....Damn.......it hasn't been the same since and I'm still trying to get it healthy the way it was before and for all of my life. I didn't tell her that I was unhappy but it was a lesson learned. LOL
I say, if you love your stylist and the way she does your hair, Good for you
If you can do it yourself and save a ton of money, Good for you too
To each their own.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:17 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,671,441 times
I was paying $15-20 for a hair cut before we moved. This was a nice salon, not Supercuts like you said or franchise style. I started cutting my own hair so haven't had to since living in Sarasota county but wow, those are some high prices! I'd be in sticker shock. I don't think I'd pay over $25 before tip.. but everyone is different with these services. I haven't stepped in a salon for 2-3 years.. maybe prices have really shot up.

I do get wanting to drive back to a good salon, have had BAD salon experiences in the past and it's nerve wrecking going to a new person. I always just wanted to stick with who did a great job. I'd have a limit on distance but I understand it.

It's great to see others who also cut and color at home! I have loved it since deciding to, so much easier and no more spending hours in a salon. Finally convinced my husband to get a men's hair cutting kit(took a long time to convince him to try it) and he wished he stopped going to a barber sooner. Looks just as good or even better!

Last edited by Icemodeled; 02-08-2018 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area