U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 687 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to the Sarasota/Bradenton area soon and are looking for an area that is quiet. We currently live in Cape Coral and are plagued with noise issues: big, jacked up trucks everywhere who drive around, revving their engines & trying to be as loud as possible; ATVs that drive around the vacant lots at all hours; around the 4th of July & New Year's you'd think we were living in a war zone between all the commercial grade aerial bombs being lit out of small, residential backyards for hours on end. Mix in a do-nothing police force that fails to actually uphold existing laws & ordinances and you can get an idea of how we're thrilled to finally be leaving this area.

That being said, are there areas to avoid in either Bradenton or Sarasota that you've noticed being plagued with the noise issues noted above? I really don't want us to end up in the same boat upon moving and I get that you can't choose your neighbors and that people move, etc., but in general I want to know if there's a current, widespread issue in certain parts of either city.

For example, one area we're considering in Bradenton is located east of I-75, just north of Lakewood Ranch, but if there are noise issues (big trucks, fireworks, ATVs, etc.) in that part of town, I'd rather look elsewhere. Any comments/thoughts on particular areas to avoid? Thanks in advance!

PS - In addition to quiet, not plagued with crime and under $400k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 04:32 PM

804 posts, read 1,316,033 times
I live in Nokomis (near Hwy 41) and there is a lot of fireworks noise around the 4th of July and New Years. Fireworks that go boom are banned in Sarasota/Bradenton - but in nearby Charlotte County they can be purchased by signing a "waiver" stating that you intend to use the fireworks for agricultural purposes (to scare off birds). So everyone that wants fireworks (that go boom) just drives over to Charlotte County and signs the stupid waiver. It's a sham really because probably 90% of the people that buy fireworks that way aren't using them for agricultural purposes. Then they just bring the fireworks back to Sarasota/Bradenton and light them off there (where it's illegal).

The sheriff's office seems to not do much about it for 4th of July and New Years. I recall reading that law enforcement in this area had a new rule that if you wanted them to press charges for firecrackers (on July 4th) you had to go along with them and identify yourself to the offending party and state that you are the one pressing charges. Seems like kind of a dumb procedure but I suppose law enforcement is overwhelmed with fireworks complaints on the 4th of July - so that's one way to reduce the number of complaints.

Personally I'm willing to put up with it for the 4th of July because it's such a big tradition. But what irritates me is the fireworks noise usually starts a few days before 4th of July and ends a few days after (albeit not as bad as on the actual 4th of July). Same thing for New Years. This past year New Years was probably worse than the 4th of July.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:23 PM

960 posts, read 1,194,698 times
iif you don't live in an HOA regulated community, you are liable to run into the fireworkshooting-redtruckin-noisemakin-garbagehoardin-beerdrinkintilsunrise community. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:26 AM

4,780 posts, read 1,544,109 times
South Venice is very quiet.

Otherwise you need an HOA development.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:52 AM

773 posts, read 269,184 times
First off, I'm not a Realtor. I know this area very well because I've lived here on and off for 25 years, and I just completed an exhaustive home search that had some of the same criteria you have.

I'd agree with what photoman_6 said regarding seeking out a gated HOA community to avoid nearly all of the negative attributes you mention. The gated community doesn't have to have extensive amenities, besides the gate. That keeps costs down. Some HOA's have strict rules (like no parking in the drive way overnight, leaving garage door open), so read them before buying. HOA rules are what creates the quiet surroundings you seek, but some may go a bit too far for your liking.

Check out The Hamptons, Turtle Rock, and Deer Creek, all in Palmer Ranch. You'll be < 5 miles to beach, and these are quiet neighborhoods with low crime, and minimal amentities, so the HOA costs are reasonable. Avoid the condo's, townhomes, villa's, paired villas, and go for the regular single family homes to get some spacing for added privacy.

These are not new communities, they are older, but I think they hold the best value for what you are looking for. Plan to spend some money for updating, and added maintenance. Some HOA's and/or neighborhoods even keep a list of preferred contractors for every service imaginable.

I don't know of any new home communities of single family homes that fulfill all your requirements. At that price point, any newer homes anywhere close to $400,000 will be adjacent to I-75 and all the noise that goes with it. Or, they will be on tiny zero lot lines that rob you of your privacy.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:33 AM

5,113 posts, read 7,641,911 times
I live in Lakewood Ranch and I know the surrounding area pretty well. I think the comments about being in HOAs is generally right but the truth is that it is nearly impossible to avoid those things completely. I don't think that you'll find ATVs an issue but fireworks on the holidays has become normal to a certain extent and trucks are common. I wouldn't say that noisy trucks are typical (they are not) but, as you mentioned, it only takes one neighbor change in the neighborhood to mess up a generalization. About all you can do is visit an area at different times of the day (weekends and weekdays) and talk to people who are outside working in their yards or walking their dogs. Ask them about their experiences. Maybe even go for a stroll yourself and strike up a conversation.

I've been a regular visitor of Cape Coral for 30 years and I've seen it grow up. I wouldn't have thought those things were major problems there, though, because I've never experienced them. Just like here, it just depends on where you are and when you are there.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:46 PM

3,036 posts, read 4,276,968 times
It would help to have a little more info about what you are looking for in order to suggest neighborhoods. For instance, are you looking for newer construction or will an older 1980's or 90's home work? What size home do you need? What size yard are you looking for (many of the new construction homes are on postage stamp sized yards)? What activities do you like to do?

I can think of at least 20 neighborhoods that are north of Lakewood Ranch that would meet the price point criteria.

As to type of community, gated is not necessarily the way to go, but having a HOA with some deed restrictions (such as no ATVs) would help cut down on the other issues you want to avoid. Except for the fireworks. There seems to be no way to stop people from shooting off 4th of July or New Year's fireworks that violate the county ordinances, people manage to buy them even if they are illegal.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:36 PM

367 posts, read 247,136 times
Tara
Creekwood
Lakewood Ranch
You won't find any of those issues and houses just under $400k and virtually no crime. You will get some diesel dopey trucks on 70/64/university but that's the extent of it

Old 03-26-2018, 08:54 PM

8,504 posts, read 2,389,571 times
What one needs is not always a gated community, but rather not a through street. That's very important - because given the traffic here, people will find ANY shortcut and if it is on your block or the next, you will hear something.
There is no way to stop all noise - the planners in FL have made the decision that the automobile (and therefore truck) RULES, which means there is often a constant din of traffic...even many blocks away from a busy road. A good fence will help.

We live near DT Sarasota (Alta Vista area) and have very little of the problems you are talking about. But if you are really crazy about it - and NEVER want it to happen, move into the center of a large 55+ community and maybe you will get what you want.

Personally, we prefer a walking and biking type of area. Putting yourself into a place where you have to drive everywhere makes you a part of the "vehicle noise" problem...at least to a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area